Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dopamine's 14g Biocube

dopamine

geez....that easy huh? 250.00? is that the finished price? comes with ballast?

I heard people saying MH is overrated. like growth of coralline slowing? are these myths? and I will just love the color?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that Sunpod is the hype right now. But I can see why. I'm very happy with mine. With an open hood my temps don't get too hot so you shouldn't worry about that.

I'm not sure on growth cause I haven't read too many reviews about growth with the Sunpod. But I'm pretty sure that its true. For the coralline, to my knowledge, it should influence growth.

If you buy them used they can get lower than $100 sometimes. Check this out:

Current USA Sunpod

under 100? do you need a ballast with these?

does that cost up and above? what do you think I do you think I could get away paying for this?

premium aquatics description doesnt mention a ballast.

awesome!!

am I missing something here?

16.5" 70w 14000k:249.00

CurrentUSA AquaPod 12 Gallon 70w HQI Aquarium:249.00

or for an extra 50 bucks I can get the 150w 14000k 24 gallon? are these nice?

When you buy them brand new, use that bulb and acclimate to that. Once its broken in, get either a 14k ushio or a 14k phoenix

geez....that easy huh? 250.00? is that the finished price? comes with ballast?

I heard people saying MH is overrated. like growth of coralline slowing? are these myths? and I will just love the color?

huh MH over rated? Who ever told you that is blowing smoke up your ass.

If you buy them used, either on CL or the Hardware Classifieds. They can go for cheaper.

^^^

A lot of people on here seem to be selling them all the time, in fact I just sold my 150w sunpod on here for $175 shipped the other week. I also bought a 70w sunpod for $125 from a poster on here. :)

It's true that I've seen several used 70w MH's for sale here lately.

You should check with kmitch to see if she sold hers. It was a good deal, but I think she may have.

And yes, you will LOVE the colors!

Look at pg. 4 of my 16g display tank thread, linked in my sig.

Those pics were taken under a 70w MH retro from illuming.com with a 14k Astralux bulb. Those katara blues will look a lot bluer under that kind of light!

That exact retro is $145 shipped, I believe. It's totally wired up and ready to go, all you have to do is build a VERY simple and basic wooden housing for it.

I will say that the bulbs that come with the SunPod fixtures don't seem to be quite as good as far as both quality and color as the bulbs I recommended to you, the 14k Astralux or 14k Ushio. I think that a 14k Astralux looks too blue in a Sunpod fixture, btw, cause it has a different kind of ballast. An Ushio is better in a Sunpod.

It's true that I've seen several used 70w MH's for sale here lately.

You should check with kmitch to see if she sold hers. It was a good deal, but I think she may have.

And yes, you will LOVE the colors!

Look at pg. 4 of my 16g display tank thread, linked in my sig.

Those pics were taken under a 70w MH retro from illuming.com with a 14k Astralux bulb. Those katara blues will look a lot bluer under that kind of light!

That exact retro is $145 shipped, I believe. It's totally wired up and ready to go, all you have to do is build a VERY simple and basic wooden housing for it.

I will say that the bulbs that come with the SunPod fixtures don't seem to be quite as good as far as both quality and color as the bulbs I recommended to you, the 14k Astralux or 14k Ushio. I think that a 14k Astralux looks too blue in a Sunpod fixture, btw, cause it has a different kind of ballast. An Ushio is better in a Sunpod.

The Astralux bulb is too blue for you? The 70w sunpod I bought came with the Astralux blub, which I believe had around 6-7 months use on it and it seems to put out mostly white light. Do the mh bulbs lose a lot of their color after that amount time?

Here's a used 70w MH for sale:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=152111&hl=

For $35 more, I think the illuming.com one is better though, and you can buy one of those Regent fixtures yourself to house it for $8-10 from Wal-Mart.

The Astralux bulb is too blue for you? The 70w sunpod I bought came with the Astralux blub, which I believe had around 6-7 months use on it and it seems to put out mostly white light. Do the mh bulbs lose a lot of their color after that amount time?

I was going by BibleSue's Sunpod and Astralux bulb. She got the Sunpod used, don't know for how long, and the bulb was new. It was very blue, looked like a 20k instead of a 14k. Not sure why hers looked so different from yours.

Nicely pwned weeite!!!

??? :huh:

wow, thanks for the help everyone!

I think I will wait and look on here for a sunpod for sale for now. I really like the tootsie roll look of the sunpod over the biocube. I dont mind the other one you linked weetabix, but I think the sunpod would be easier to mount and look finished without much extra leg work. I didnt see many pictures on page 4? but the zoa does look awesome!

soo...around 60$ for a new ushio 70w 14000k bulb?

I am getting pretty excited, this is better than starting a new tank!

ohyeah, and fiction, I just heard of some people switching back because they lose coralline growth and say that actually like PC better, but I trust you guys!

P.S. If you see someone selling a 70w sunpod, please link it up or pm me!

would it be beneficial to get the 150w? or would that be overkill?

I'll tell you right now that most people will probably tell you to do the 150w. If you do that, you will have to do a lot of acclimating of your corals to the light, cause it'll be a BIG jump from what they're used to. This would involve getting screening material from a Home Depot or other hardware store and start out with something like 5 layers on your tank under the light, removing a layer every 3 days or so.

I personally think that a 70w would be just fine, although a lot depends on what you'd like to keep under it. I will also tell you that you will probably have a hard time finding a used 70w SunPod for sale.

Here's a couple of pics from my 16g under the 70w MH from illuming.com.

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2064.jpg

RSCN2071.jpg

There's more, but I don't want to take over your thread!

oh I dont mind! Everyone is welcome to post whatever they want in here, except anything about politics or racism and any of that bullschit I see in the lounge.

ok, I was just thinking for the future. Just if I am going have buyer remorse and wish I had the extra watts. Bummer, I figured it would be few and far between on the sunpods, just fiction said he got such a good deal for one on here.

so the 16.5" sunpod for the biocube14not the 20" right? I didnt measure it last night.

I dunno, I don't have one, go measure it ya doofus!!! :P

It's probably the 16.5", but truthfully either one would work since the legs slide on a track and are adjustable to different lengths as a result.

Since you said you didn't mind, here's more pics

DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2054.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

wow, those are nice! This is for sure going to be my next purchase. I was going to get flatscreen for my bedroom, but this sounds like too much fun.

Smurf, The xenia cloves I have look like the ones in weetabixs second picture down. cept, it is a bush of them so you cant see their stalks. I have to trim the thing down every 2 weeks. I keep it trimmed to about a 3-4" diameter bush.

well since u dont mind

i too found a used Coralife MH Pro 150watt 15k ushio bulb

i really want to pick it up but my place has really crappy AC and summer is right on our heels. i have a 14g biocube and i am afraid that might be too much.

really great info about the screening BTW

hope im not thread jacking

sweet, I will keep looking for used. I should be ok with heat, Im in Indiana and have AC.

are those screen annoying? are you eventually going to wheen them out?

Archived