Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Not too nano anymore.

Hinecken

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome aquascape and nice SPS

Thanks man!

Another progress shot... This monti turned bright pink and is growing beautifully.

montiCap2.jpg

Snapped off some macros. Enjoy.

bluemilliMacro.jpg

bluemilliMacro2.jpg

AcanLordMacro.jpg

Welcome back, stranger! Hope the pneumonia's going away! :(

What amazing pics! Believe me, I never noticed the PH in the fts. ;) Nice to see a clam for the clam shelf. :)

I really like the way you showcased your growth shots. Things are doing beautifully in your tank. I can't believe the sharpness of your pics, esp. given the size of your tank. You're not using an underwater cam housing, are you?

Wonderful update.

--Diane

Welcome back, stranger! Hope the pneumonia's going away! :(

What amazing pics! Believe me, I never noticed the PH in the fts. ;) Nice to see a clam for the clam shelf. :)

I really like the way you showcased your growth shots. Things are doing beautifully in your tank. I can't believe the sharpness of your pics, esp. given the size of your tank. You're not using an underwater cam housing, are you?

Wonderful update.

--Diane

Thanks for the compliments Diane! I'm definitely not using an underwater housing. I use a tripod and butt the lens up against the glass. Then I snap off a solid 30-40 shots focusing on different points of the coral. Even doing that I still have to crop the end result so that the macro I'm looking for fills the frame. Unfortunately, my camera for whatever reason doesn't render color well. As nice as the photos may look, the color in them is way off. Much more bland than in person. My lights just turned on 20mins ago, once everything opens up some more I'm going to try and snap off a few more macros.

I fed the tank today. My usual coral cocktail consisting of DT's, RotiRich, frozen "Coral Food," Cyclopeeze, and smushed Spektrum pellets. The cocktail gets mixed in a shotglass half filled with tank water and I use a syringe to spot feed everything. During the feeding I shut off everything but the closed loop pump for an hour and a half and let everyone get their fill.

Here you can see the Millepora with full sweeper tentacles in action

bluemilliMacro3.jpg

YellowAcroMacro

yellowAcroMacro.jpg

I can't wait for this thing to get huge.

yellowAcroMacro2.jpg

Acan Lord lookin happy.

AcanLordMacro2.jpg

I forgot to mention this little guy in my update yesterday, When I was doing my water last Monday I accidentally fragged the tip of the millepora. It's a super small frag but the color is holding well and every single polyp is opened up and just as happy as the mother colony. Sorry for the picture quality, but I just can't get close enough to capture something that small with my camera.

bluemilliFrag1.jpg

I love that crocea clam, that will be my next livestock purchase I hope. I wish I had the patients you did, haha. I hope my next tank that I alreay have planned in my head I will. Well everything is look awsome ofcourse. :)

More outstanding pics! I didn't even know sps had sweeper tents. :blush:

I look forward to the growth shots of that accidental frag. :)

--Diane

A big thank you for all the nice words.

A little note on that frag. There are actually 3 of them. The other two are glued in the back of the tank near the top so I can't get a shot of them as they are almost a full 18" away from the lens and tiny. It should be exciting to have some blue millepora frags for trade! My lights should be kicking on any minute now, I'll try and get a shot of the other two, but I'm thinking it's going to be hopeless.

My reactor has a probe port in the top of it. The CO2 kicks on when the PH hits 6.8 in the reactor and turns off at 6.6. You can see the probe in the picture of the reactor. It's the yellow "stick" poking out of the top of the reactor.

Out of total boredom I decided to take some FTS shots and a couple of the fuge for documentation.

fts_4-11-08.jpg

fts_4-11-08_2.jpg

fts_4-11-08_3.jpg

fuge

fugeFTS4-11-08.jpg

fugeFTS4-11-08_2.jpg

Needreefunds

Great stuff Hineken!

Looks like the fuge is kickin butt.

Sorry if I missed it but what light is that your running over the fuge?

Just a sweet, clean setup. Outstanding job.

That fuge always amazes me. :D

Love the fts's. Interesting angle from below like that--makes it looks like the ruins of Atlantis or something...

I think you've mentioned it before, but I'm too lazy to go back & look--any plans for fish? And you're the guy who doesn't like snails, right? Any CUC in there now? Doesn't look as if it needs any!

--Diane

Great stuff Hineken!

Looks like the fuge is kickin butt.

Sorry if I missed it but what light is that your running over the fuge?

Just a sweet, clean setup. Outstanding job.

Glad you like it. The fuge is lit by a 96w 6700k quad PC by hellolights.com

EDIT:

I think you've mentioned it before, but I'm too lazy to go back & look--any plans for fish? And you're the guy who doesn't like snails, right? Any CUC in there now? Doesn't look as if it needs any!

I have nothing against snails, as a matter of fact there are 15 of them in there currently and most likely more tomorrow. 10 Astrea and 5 Trocus snails are the only motile inhabitants that I have.

Fish will be later, I'm still undecided on species. Definitely a blenny, goby, and some generally peaceful tank mates. No clowns or damsels. Maybe a mandarin.

I have nothing against snails, as a matter of fact there are 15 of them in there currently and most likely more tomorrow. 10 Astrea and 5 Trocus snails are the only motile inhabitants that I have.

Fish will be later, I'm still undecided on species. Definitely a blenny, goby, and some generally peaceful tank mates. No clowns or damsels. Maybe a mandarin.

Oh, you know what? I think it's TJ_Burton who doesn't like snails. :blush: :blush: :blush: Sorry!

I like your fish plans. :)

--D

Wow I love the aquascape! It looks awesome. Nice macro shots of your corals.

Thanks Mike! The aquascape is definitely my favorite part of the tank, it took me a long time to get it "just right." I'm trying really hard to get decent macros but I'm having issues with my camera. For some reason, I just can't get it to render the color accurately. It's frustrating seeing one color and in the shot another comes out. The other problem I'm having is that my tank is 18" deep and a bunch of the corals are set pretty far back.

Oh, you know what? I think it's TJ_Burton who doesn't like snails. blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif Sorry!

I like your fish plans. smile.gif

--D

Yep, I remember why you thought that now. On j0hnny's thread I had made a comment that you don't really need snails and at the time I had none. He accidentally mistook that as me sharing his dislike for them. I was simply saying that I'll only pick some up when I decide that I actually need them. If I remember correctly he's not against snails per say, just the snail poop they leave around! I think a little poop adds character to a tank :P !

Nick's Reef

hinecken I think that a harem of lyertail anthias would look awesome! My mom has a super small female in her 12 gal. and shes so fun to watch, she just sit under this one ledge and wait till the it's feeding time then go nuts!

hinecken I think that a harem of lyertail anthias would look awesome! My mom has a super small female in her 12 gal. and shes so fun to watch, she just sit under this one ledge and wait till the it's feeding time then go nuts!

I've always liked anthias, and I was seriously considering them. I'm was also kicking around the idea of a bunch of cardinals. I love the way they just hang out in the water column. It'll still be at least a month before I throw any fish in there. I picked up 10 nassarius (spelling) snails and 3 more trocus today.

Yep, I remember why you thought that now. On j0hnny's thread I had made a comment that you don't really need snails and at the time I had none. He accidentally mistook that as me sharing his dislike for them. I was simply saying that I'll only pick some up when I decide that I actually need them. If I remember correctly he's not against snails per say, just the snail poop they leave around! I think a little poop adds character to a tank :P !

Oh, good--I thought I was going crazy. It's nice to know I'm only losing my memory. :D

Yeah, and snail poop adds character to every pic, too. <_< Otherwise, I like that characterization (so to speak!) of it.

I've always liked anthias, and I was seriously considering them. I'm was also kicking around the idea of a bunch of cardinals. I love the way they just hang out in the water column. It'll still be at least a month before I throw any fish in there. I picked up 10 nassarius (spelling) snails and 3 more trocus today.

I always think that one of the big attractions of a larger tank would be the ability to have fish in groups--they're so impressive that way. I'm a big fan of cardinals, too.

(BTW, guess which snail you misspelled? :P )

--Diane

I always think that one of the big attractions of a larger tank would be the ability to have fish in groups--they're so impressive that way. I'm a big fan of cardinals, too.

(BTW, guess which snail you misspelled? :P )

--Diane

It's really not that big of a tank, just compared to most nanos it is. I'm really undecided on fish, but I know all this talk of them is making me want some swimmers. I've held out this long though, gotta stay strong and stick to the plan. Crabs next, then some shrimp, then and Only then, fish. Must.......stick.....to........plan......... :mellow:

Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!!

Shot some macros of two different Zoas I have in the reef. I'm kind of old-school when it comes to all the weird common names people have come up with for the different color-morphs. I was hoping my fellow reefers can help me out with an ID on these guys.

These green guys I got from the Barrier Reef in Boca Raton a week or so ago. Not a bad buy for $9.99 if I do say so myself. ID Please....

greenZoas.jpg

This is actually the first coral I put into the tank. These guys have been multiplying at a stupid fast rate. I probably have 4 or 5 small colonies that have split off from the main piece I put into the tank. Can't say I mind having orange zoas invading my tank. ID?

OrangeZoaMacro.jpg

another pic:

OrangeZoaMacro2.jpg

Nick's Reef

Nice zoos, I've got the same green ones, but some have orange mouths. i'd say the new ones are some morph of radioactive dragon eyes.

Nice zoos, I'v got the same green ones, but some look more like gbp with white dots.

Sorry buddy, I have no clue what that stands for.... :P

Archived