Innovative Marine Aquariums

Not too nano anymore.

Hinecken

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very sweet set up so far. Tagging along for this one. I probably missed it, but what are your fish plans?

Eh.. I'm not too concerned with fish, they just crap up my reef. Eventually, like a 3-4 months down the road I might get a few to add some motion to the tank. Nothing too fancy, just your typical generic types. Cardinals, goby, blenny, maybe a tang, etc. etc.

UPDATE: Sunday, January 27th, 2008

So I took my usual Sunday trip down to the LFS that I used at to see what was new and get a fishing report from the week from my friend that works there. Ended up finding a frag of Blastomussa Merletti and Montipora Capricornis at a great deal. They're now super-glued into their new homes. Here are some pics.

FTS1-27-08_2.jpg

Angry little blastomussa merletti

blastoMer1.jpg

Very angry montipora capricornis

montiCap1.jpg

One week update on my Orange Zoas. They're all happy and open now.

OrangeZoa1-27-08.jpg

Obligatory record-keeping FTS

FTS1-27-08.jpg

Nice new additions, now you can start to see stuff in the fts! biggrin.gif

Thanks! Have you been to Ocean's Below lately? How's the stock looking?

Really starting to get going now. Looks great.

Stay Tuned! More to come!

More great pics! I love the blasto--they're one of my all-time favorites.

You're too kind Diane. I've been throwing a fit because I can't get the color to display properly when I save the images. They're in focus, sharp, but the color is washed out from what you see in person. I know the information is there, because in Photoshop, the color is displayed perfectly when I open the fresh file from my camera. You seem to take some fantastic shots, what's your trick?

Oh my Fug dude, I Love your rock work. May I copy?

Go for it man! More power to ya! Just remember, there's a limit to how ambitious with the caves you can get unless you use glue. With glue, anything is possible.

UPDATE: Monday, January 28th, 2008

Moving right along.... got a phone-call today confirming the coral shipment my friend was waiting on had arrived. Headed down after work for a look and saw some choice pieces. Saw this guy and that was that, in the bag he went.

Acropora Formosa (I'll be doing more research, but due to the shape of the corallite and a matching it up in pics with some books I have here, I'm pretty sure it's Formosa, but the next suspect, Acropora Nobolis, still looks promising. Can anyone verify this? )

FTS1-28-08_2.jpg

baaam!

GreenAcro.jpg

FTS

FTS1-28-08.jpg

Thanks! Have you been to Ocean's Below lately? How's the stock looking?

Yeah i went last thursday when Rob got his shippment, I you want kick ass ricordea rocks he has about five. they all have atleast ten heads and are $120. But if thats to much he's got some neat little mixed sps frag rocks. I'll update you again this thursday when I go becaus I'm having him order me some fish. :D

Btw: nice acro!

Edit: there's also this new place that opened up (really just changed owners and names) just down the road from oceans below. They have awesome stuff and it's realtivly cheap. Just head north down us1 towards juno beach. it's called under the sea and used to be called costal aquariums. It's in thoese yellow buildings with dans fan city and natures way cafe. They also have a sign on the side of the road.

Very nice Acro, I like it.

Sorry I can't be much help with ID, I'm still learning sps ID's and names myself.

However, your orange zoas look a lot the Fire In the Sky zoas that I have.

I have those exact same blasto's in my 16g display tank and really like them, I hope they do well for you.

I also have your tendency to concentrate much more on corals than fish. I just recently added my first fish in 12 yrs. to my 16g, but it looks like I'll have to add a wrasse soon to take care of my polyp eating pod issue.

Anyway, I like the tank, keep up the good work.

Yeah i went last thursday when Rob got his shippment, I you want kick ass ricordea rocks he has about five. they all have atleast ten heads and are $120. But if thats to much he's got some neat little mixed sps frag rocks. I'll update you again this thursday when I go becaus I'm having him order me some fish.

Sweet, let me know how it goes, and if there are any sick SPS that I might want!

Very nice Acro, I like it.

Sorry I can't be much help with ID, I'm still learning sps ID's and names myself.

However, your orange zoas look a lot the Fire In the Sky zoas that I have.

I have those exact same blasto's in my 16g display tank and really like them, I hope they do well for you.

I also have your tendency to concentrate much more on corals than fish. I just recently added my first fish in 12 yrs. to my 16g, but it looks like I'll have to add a wrasse soon to take care of my polyp eating pod issue.

Anyway, I like the tank, keep up the good work.

Thanks Weetie! I'm glad to see that someone else shares my opinion on fish in a reef. Do you have a pic of those "Fire in the Sky" zoas? I'm not too on par with the crazy new names people have been coming up with for zoa's. Guess I'm still old school with that.

Sweet, let me know how it goes, and if there are any sick SPS that I might want!

No problem I told him what fish I wanted today so on Thursday I'm going to pick my little sixline up! :D

This is such an awsome setup, alot of inspiration for me.

That's very flattering, thank you. If you (or anyone for that matter) have any specific questions about my methods or why I chose to do something over another, by all means ask.

To those lurking:

There's been over 4k people that have viewed this thread, if you're in here, say Hi! :)

To the n00bs that are skipping over the first 4 pages and just checking out the corals, remember, I've cycled this tank for almost a year. It's birthday is March 1st. I DO NOT recommend that anyone add livestock to their aquariums at the rate that I have these past couple of weeks. My micro flora and fauna have had months and months to establish stable populations, so I am sure that I will not run into issues. Remember, nothing good happens fast in an aquarium.

Hurricanes can and should be planned for. The first purchases made after the tank was given to me were for just that.

Hurricane Insurance Hinecken Style:

100gpd RO/DI, 30gal reservoir, two 20gal water only garbage cans ready to roll.

RODI.jpg

Snapper 5600 running watt generator.

generator.jpg

20 gallons of spare fuel.

gas.jpg

Screw the SPAM honey, we have enough pods and RO/DI water to last a month! w00t!

You're too kind Diane. I've been throwing a fit because I can't get the color to display properly when I save the images. They're in focus, sharp, but the color is washed out from what you see in person. I know the information is there, because in Photoshop, the color is displayed perfectly when I open the fresh file from my camera. You seem to take some fantastic shots, what's your trick?

LOL! I've yet to learn Photoshop. <_< And I only have a low-rez point-&-shoot cam...the only thing I can do is take 100's of pics at diff. exposures and sometimes white balance (tho that usually doesn't vary...) Maybe it's just that some of my corals, etc., are really close to the glass...But I don't think any of us think that our posted pics look as good as the originals. I know I don't. And yours look great to me. :D (Oh, sometimes I find it helps to move my hood light back and forth, change the angle of the overhead light striking the coral...but if your pics satisfy you in Photoshop, that wouldn't be it...)

Acropora Formosa (I'll be doing more research, but due to the shape of the corallite and a matching it up in pics with some books I have here, I'm pretty sure it's Formosa, but the next suspect, Acropora Nobolis, still looks promising. Can anyone verify this? )

FTS1-28-08_2.jpg

baaam!

GreenAcro.jpg

FTS

FTS1-28-08.jpg

I'd just call it gorgeous! (And it would be hard to improve on those colors!)

--Diane

To the n00bs that are skipping over the first 4 pages and just checking out the corals, remember, I've cycled this tank for almost a year. It's birthday is March 1st. I DO NOT recommend that anyone add livestock to their aquariums at the rate that I have these past couple of weeks. My micro flora and fauna have had months and months to establish stable populations, so I am sure that I will not run into issues. Remember, nothing good happens fast in an aquarium.

I totally agree on that! I went super slow with my 5g because I didn't want corals then I tried a ric and then i got some xenia a month later then an acan about a year later. I only added the gobies because I saw them and I had to have them. But with my ap24 I rushed and bad things happened, but luckily the tank is 7 months old and thriving! :D

Well just got back from Rob's (ocean's below) and they didn't have much coral wise, he said thet the stuff down south wasn't that good. So don't waist your time hinecken just wait til' next weeks coral shippment! :D

Well just got back from Rob's (ocean's below) and they didn't have much coral wise, he said thet the stuff down south wasn't that good. So don't waist your time hinecken just wait til' next weeks coral shippment! :D

Thanks Nick, it's about a 45 minute drive for me and I don't want to waste my day off.

I got a very special piece of coral in my tank now, but I'm too exhausted from fishing to update the thread tonight. Pics and story to come tomorrow!

Thanks Nick, it's about a 45 minute drive for me and I don't want to waste my day off.

I got a very special piece of coral in my tank now, but I'm too exhausted from fishing to update the thread tonight. Pics and story to come tomorrow!

Fishing? What did you catch?

Fishing? What did you catch?

Did some snook and tarpon fishing last night... didn't do too hot, just a bunch of lesbian fishing. (didn't catch d!ck)

lilredneckman

Gah, sucks you diddnt catch anything! I am going out tomorrow(hopefully) and maby ill catch a nice dolphin like the one in your avitar!

Archived