Cultivated Reef

Not too nano anymore.

Hinecken

UPDATE: Friday, February 1st, 2008

Yesterday I put a coral in my tank with some history to it. My fiance originally purchased a two-headed frag of this branching hammer about 6 years ago. She was my customer when I worked at the LFS and it's how we met. I taught her to keep a nano and this was her very first LPS. It outgrew her Via-Aqua 11 in a little less than a year and graduated to the 110gal in her mother's house that they had set up. In there it grew fairly huge ( 18 heads or so ). That tank unfortunately crashed on them due to an aptasia plague of biblical proportions. They did however manage to save about half of the hammer. It was quickly moved to a 72bowfront in the kitchen. Right about then we had started to date and in a few months had our own place and I set up a nano in the living room. We fragged a good sized piece of this hammer and plopped it dead center in the nano. It thrived and grew right up until that b!tch Wilma ripped through Broward County and nuked the tank. Luckily there was always that piece still living and growing in the 72 gallon at Mom's. This is the smallest of 3 pieces that we split the parent colony into. Makes me happy to see it in my aquarium. So that's the story.

FTS1-31-08_2.jpg

It's was still recovering from the frag/transplant,

about two hours in it's home. Yesterday, 1-31-08.

hammer.jpg

My tri-color ricordia has also finished splitting. Here's an action shot:

triColorRicordia5.jpg

It's new home thanks to super-glue gel:

triColorRicordia6.jpg

FTS taken 1-30-2008

FTS1-31-08.jpg

Here's the hammer today, 2.1.08

hammer2.jpg

Side view

hammer3.jpg

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great!

Thanks for the pics and the story. Enjoyed them both.

It's cool that the Hammer has been with you through so much.

Looks great!

Wow! Great story about the hammer coral, and its history! It is testament to why it's good to frag and share with people. It's also a good idea to marry a girl who is into reefs. Nice job!

Looks great!

Wow! Great story about the hammer coral, and its history! It is testament to why it's good to frag and share with people. It's also a good idea to marry a girl who is into reefs. Nice job!

" +3 "

Awwwww, sweet story. :) Congrats to all 3 of you. (4 counting future mom-in-law; sounds like you're doing OK in that department, too!)

Amazing pic of the splitting ric. I've never seen that before! And it sure looks nice right after you glued it.

--Diane

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm glad you all enjoyed the story. I'm definitely a very lucky guy to have a future wife that's allready into reef tanks, and a future mother-in-law that doesn't mind me using her tank space for storage. :lol:

Diane,

Congrats on your TOTM!! You definitely deserve it. The "humble 5.5" is a marvelous example of what can be done with time and patience.

Tank looks great! I'm goin to Rob's tomorrow so I'll update you on the stock brother! :D

Nice! Let me know...

UPDATE: Wednesday, February 6th, 2008

Today I was at work and I get a call around 3 from my friend at the LFS. He tells me he's got a millepora that I'd love and is holding it for me. I show up and and sure enough it's gorgeous. These photographs simply don't do it any justice at all. The tips and the corallites are all baby blue and the polyps and skin are lavender. It's only been in the tank 3 hours and it's starting to open up nicely. Enjoy.

FTS2-06-08_2.jpg

I wish I was able to really show you all the true color. It's beautiful.

bluemilli.jpg

FTS

FTS2-06-08.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love this tank, it's an aqua-engineering marvel...(wine promotes word evolution). More pics please! :happy:

Btw, suck it Wilma.

Thanks for the sappy love story, now everyone here knows your true love is a hammer coral!

edited to cap. Wilma.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is my all time favorite tank, any updates.

That's very flattering, Thank You.

It's been a little over two months now without an update so here goes. I've been off the NR-radar for a while now thanks to work and life, but there have definitely been some additions. I'm home sick with pneumonia going out of my mind so I think I'll update this thread a bit.

UPDATE: Wednesday, January 9th, 2008

I've gone through my algae bloom quite successfully and things are starting to pick up nicely. On my birthday (3/29) everyone gave me gift cards for me to use at the aquarium stores of my choice. I think I spent the money wisely, how bout you guys?

First some growth updates..

GreenAcro2.jpg

bluemilli2.jpg

New Addition: Yellow Acropora

This piece was laying in the sand at Ocean's Below in Jupiter and I got a great deal on it because of the bit of die-off. All the polyps are open and the coral is quite happy in it's new home.

yellowAcro.jpg

New Addition: Blue Crocea

bought at The Barrier Reef, Boca Raton

crocea.jpg

New Addition: Blue/Green Acropora Formosa AKA: Blue Tort

This piece arrived at the Barrier Reef infected and nearly dead, my friend and I loved the piece so he took care of it and slowly brought it back nice and healthy over the course of 4 months. I bought it at a great deal on the 31st of March.

blueGreenAcro.jpg

New Addition: Blue Encrusting Montipora

This piece came from Ocean's Below and I was told that this is wild-caught Superman Montipora that simply lost color during transit. I'm skeptical of this, but loved the color anyway.

blueEncrusting.jpg

New Addition: Orange Encrusting Montipora

Also thanks to Ocean's Below

orangeEcrusting.jpg

New Addition: Orange and Purple Ricordia Florida

Ocean's Below, Jupiter

orangeRicordia.jpg

New Addition: Blastomussa Welsi Acanthastrea (thanks Nick!)

This piece was bought with the others listed here at Ocean's Below and I am absolutely in love with it. Within minutes of placing it in the aquarium all the polyps were open with full extension and it readily takes anything I have to eat. The colors in this pic do not do it any justice.

blastoWelsi.jpg

These next two pieces came from Chad at Reefscience.com. I had a very old gift certificate that was given to me right before hurricane Wilma that I never used. Chad was nice enough to still let me use it and I bought three pieces of stony coral. One of the three pieces (a pink millepora) died within 24 hours. Chad gave me a credit for the piece to use on my next order. The other two pieces I'm not super thrilled with either.

New Addition: Pink Montipora Digitata

Reefscience.com. This was bright orange in the original picture and arrived to me with white flesh and pink polyps. By all appearances the specimen is quite healthy and growing, just looks a little bland.

pinkDigitata.jpg

New Addition: Encusting Montipora Fecal-Brownis

Reefscience.com This eu-de-toilet brown montipora was electric blue in the photograph. This is what I got. If you look closely, you can see some of the ridges starting to turn blue, but barely.

brownEncrusting.jpg

FTS 4-9-08

FTS4-09-08.jpg

Nick's Reef

Dang heniken you got tons of stuff at rob's!!!! He's had some awesome sps lately! Also that blasto you got is an acan lord!!!!!!! And i know what you mean about the colors on it, i'd been eyeing it for a while. Well last thing I have to say is your tanks lookin goog bro! :D

Thanks for the correction Nick! I wasn't 100% sure. Fixed it.

Forgot to mention something. Although I absolutely love the no powerhead look, I added a Koralia 2 to the upper left corner of the tank that comes on with the lights. It creates a more turbulent current when it collides with the outflows of the closed loop and the corals all love it. I can live with the way it looks and it's pros greatly out weigh the cons.

Nick's Reef
Thanks for the correction Nick! I wasn't 100% sure. Fixed it.

No problem, I'm addicted to acan lords soI just had to point it out, f you feel like it go check out my thread (link in sig) I've got quite a nice little collection of aussie lords! :D

Edit: about the monti, it is a superman, James at oceans below took the huge mother colony home and he said it's color was coming back under his 10k coralve 400s and atinics.

Edit: about the monti, it is a superman, James at oceans below took the huge mother colony home and he said it's color was coming back under his 10k coralve 400s and atinics.

James is who sold me everything. He was super-nice. Also, he said he had 3 coralvue 10k 250's at home. I'm still skeptical that the red will come out, but I'll keep hoping. I can't complain, the piece is really pretty and I got a great deal.

Nick's Reef
James is who sold me everything. He was super-nice. Also, he said he had 3 coralvue 10k 250's at home. I'm still skeptical that the red will come out, but I'll keep hoping. I can't complain, the piece is really pretty and I got a great deal.

Sorry I thought he told me he had 400's oh well. He is very nice, he's given me some awesome freebies, and given me some stuff for the price he'd pay. :D

lilredneckman

Dang Hinecken! You got that sweet acan i had my eye on! It looks great in your tank and i love all of the new additions!

Needreefunds

Nice to have you back!

Great new additions.

I hope work / life eases up a bit on you and hey,feel better real soon!

Take care

Dang Hinecken! You got that sweet acan i had my eye on! It looks great in your tank and i love all of the new additions!

Thanks buddy! You should have snatched up the acan when you had the chance. Better luck next time!

Nice to have you back!

Great new additions.

I hope work / life eases up a bit on you and hey,feel better real soon!

Take care

Glad you like them, the tank helps to distract me from my fever and general misery.

Archived