Innovative Marine Aquariums

Not too nano anymore.

Hinecken

Thanks everyone! :lol:

Well I got some news today that p!ssed me off pretty good. I said in an earlier post that I had ordered some ric's and they hadn't arrived yet. Well, USPS sucks!!! Their tracking system is absolutely horrible. I had received the e-mail on the 17th saying they were scheduled to ship. Everyday since then I've tracked it with no updated info until today. Apparently they say they attempted delivery at 8:39am on Saturday. That's a bunch of BS. I was at work at 7am and didn't leave until 3pm (that's where it is being delivered). So now, my ricordia has been sitting in it's packaging since SATURDAY!!!!! :angry: Of course I only looked after the post office was closed so there isn't a damn thing I can do about it until tomorrow. I am not a happy camper right now.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read my post again and realized that I explained everything except my closed loop and my ATO. For the sake of consistency, here it is.

This first picture shows the float switch for the top-off unit as well as the Mag-Drive 1800 for the closed loop.

I've used these cheap float switches for years and they work marvelously. The only problem I ever had was when I had it too close to the glass and a snail managed to wedge it on. Dumped 5 gallons of fresh into my 15 gallon system.... not good. Quick adjustment and no mo' problems.

The Mag-Drive is in the sump for no other reason than heat-dissipation. Pumps that run cooler last longer.

Loop_ATO.jpg

Next you'll see my top-off reservoir. I chose a 7gal garbage can because it's not quite as ugly as a bucket. The other advantage to the garbage can is the swinging lid. Makes filling and checking the water level a breeze. All I did was drill a hole for 1/2" tubing through the side of the top and inserted ye ole MJ1200.

reservoir.jpg

Here's the plumbing for the closed loop. You'll notice I did not bother to have extra holes drilled into the glass to run it. I know people here are huge fans of making Swiss cheese out of their aquariums but I don't feel comfortable having my tank on the second floor and and risking a leak. So, my solution is to plumb the loop over the top of the aquarium. I used black 3/4" PVC and drilled about 200 small holes in it for the strainer. I then plumbed it over the side and attached it to a ball valve. The return was made using standard 3/4" PVC and plumbed down the back-wall and under the sand to 8 x 1/2" outlets. It also has a ball valve plumbed on the end. The valves are to allow for easy pump maintenance. If and when I need to clean the pump, I simply close the valves and disconnect.

intakeandreturn.jpg

loopintake.jpg

Great there's something to look at now. Sweet tank, keep up the good work.

Don't worry buddy, there'll be lots more to look at real soon. Hopefully my ric's at the post office aren't dead and I'll snap off some pics tomorrow night. Thanks for stopping by!

Nice zoas! You have them placed well, too.

I love your "techical" pics with the labels and all. Even I can understand them. :P

In my neck of the woods it's DHL that sucks. A couple of times they've supposedly "attempted delivery" when I was home and would have known it, not to mention my dogs would have sounded off...When I called them on this, they said that the "attempted deliveries" meant that their driver tried but couldn't find my house! Not my definition of an attempt...BS, too, as we're on a clearly named road and the house has been here some 30 years, I think...

--Diane

Thanks everyone! :lol:

Well I got some news today that p!ssed me off pretty good. I said in an earlier post that I had ordered some ric's and they hadn't arrived yet. Well, USPS sucks!!! Their tracking system is absolutely horrible. I had received the e-mail on the 17th saying they were scheduled to ship. Everyday since then I've tracked it with no updated info until today. Apparently they say they attempted delivery at 8:39am on Saturday. That's a bunch of BS. I was at work at 7am and didn't leave until 3pm (that's where it is being delivered). So now, my ricordia has been sitting in it's packaging since SATURDAY!!!!! :angry: Of course I only looked after the post office was closed so there isn't a damn thing I can do about it until tomorrow. I am not a happy camper right now.

First, sweet tank. Just fantastic work!

Agree 100% usps stinks. Several times I took a day off to be home for coral deliveries and they either didn't arrive or I found the "attempted delivery" note taped to the door. (must have snuck up real quick that day, I still have no idea how I missed him). Also had a delivery stuck in my mailbox last summer. The shipper used a small thermos and it did fit easily, but I was expecting to have to sign for it, not have it included in with the regular mail. I lost a few rics out of that shipment. And I could not tell you how many times my wife has run to the post office to pick up coral packages after seeing the "attempted delivery" notice when they all clearly had the NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED box checked. Ugh!

I feel your pain and I do hope the rics make it. Good luck.

New zoa are sweet BTW. :)

First, sweet tank. Just fantastic work!

Agree 100% usps stinks. Several times I took a day off to be home for coral deliveries and they either didn't arrive or I found the "attempted delivery" note taped to the door. (must have snuck up real quick that day, I still have no idea how I missed him). Also had a delivery stuck in my mailbox last summer. The shipper used a small thermos and it did fit easily, but I was expecting to have to sign for it, not have it included in with the regular mail. I lost a few rics out of that shipment. And I could not tell you how many times my wife has run to the post office to pick up coral packages after seeing the "attempted delivery" notice when they all clearly had the NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED box checked. Ugh!

I feel your pain and I do hope the rics make it. Good luck.

New zoa are sweet BTW. :)

Thanks for the kind words. Keep following along and now I'll start updating regularly since my "masterpiece" is finally complete. This garbage with USPS is really irritating me. I've called like 4 times this morning and no one is picking up the phone over there, and I can't exactly just ditch work to go get my corals....

EDIT: Spoke to the idiotic Post Office about there being no note and them not updating their website with tracking information in time. This B^$$%^ I spoke to had the nerve to tell me our business wasn't open on Saturdays so there was no way to deliver the package........ORLY!!!!!!! We've been open every Saturday for AT LEAST the last 4 years we've been in business. That may very well be the worst excuse I could have given. So now, they're attempting a redeliver today. In the Immortal words of Tony the Tiger... Gggrrrreeeat. (sarcasm)

monkeytrumpets
This B^$$%^ I spoke to had the nerve to tell me our business wasn't open on Saturdays so there was no way to deliver the package........ORLY!!!!!!! We've been open every Saturday for AT LEAST the last 4 years we've been in business.

Wow...that's weak.

Hopefully your rics make it.

Love the tank. I really like the new zoas as well.

Beautiful tank, and I like your aquascaping. It's nice and open, good for water flow, and lots of room for livestock. It looks a little "angular" now, but I think as you stock it and corals start growing, the edges will disappear into the new growth. I remember feeling the same way about my own aquascaping at first, and now I am pleased. Sans corals, aquascaping always looks a little odd, IMO.

I like how you plumbed it in particular, you can barely see the nozzles and fittings now, and I would imagine you will really have to look for them to see them once you have alot of stock in there.

The generator is a good thought. You look to be completely prepared for the next big storm. I have a UPS system, but that will only buy me a few hours. Looks like you could go for days without power and still be ok.

I hope USPS gets your corals to you before they die. That really sucks man, whatever happened to "through rain or snow". I mean, they can't even be bothered to follow the shipping instructions? That's just stupid.

Anyway, I am anxious to see how this tank develops, and am curious to see how you stock it.

Really nice work!

- Josh

Looks like you could go for days without power and still be ok.

Weeks actually. :) Don't forget about the 100+ gallons in the boat I can siphon out ;)

UPDATE for Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Low and behold, after my phone call to USPS they up and decided to deliver my package. Luckily everyone was alive, just really angry. The ric's have been in the tank since about 8pm. On with the show.... :P

It's going to cost a fortune to fill this thing....

FTS1-22-08_2.jpg

Green Ricordia..pretty angry.

greenricordia.jpg

greenricordia2.jpg

Tri-color Ricordia..not so happy.

triColorRicordia2.jpg

triColorRicordia.jpg

Blue-Green Ricordia..Super P!ssed.

bluegreenricordia.jpg

bluegreenricordia2.jpg

Orange Zoa 48hour update:

OrangeZoa1-22-08.jpg

Bi-Color 48hour update:

OrangeAndGreenZoa1-22-08.jpg

UFO id please? Looks like some sort of tunicate (sp) to me.

UFO.jpg

Obligatory record keeping FTS

FTS1-22-08.jpg

UPDATE for Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Low and behold, after my phone call to USPS they up and decided to deliver my package. Luckily everyone was alive, just really angry. The ric's have been in the tank since about 8pm. On with the show.... :P

It's going to cost a fortune to fill this thing....

LOL! "Not too nano anymore." Maybe you'll need more insurance. :D

The new things really do disappear in that fts!

Actually I'm amazed at how well your rics look after their experience.

How did you get them mounted so indiscernibly?

UFO id please? Looks like some sort of tunicate (sp) to me.

UFO.jpg

Wow! How interesting. I had not seen tunicates like that, but a quick check of my ID sites turned up a few pics of the same general morphology. Very cool!

--Diane

How did you get them mounted so indiscernibly?

The modern marvel that is Super Glue. :lol:

EDIT: Once the rock colors up a bit, everything will be more noticable. Right now there is 500watts beaming onto white rock. Tends to wash out the color.

I'm glad to hear your corals arrived alive, and they look like they are none the worse for wear.

BTW, that tunicate is cool! I hope it grows well for you in the long term.

- Josh

Anyone have any idea what species of Tunicate my UFO is?

No! But if you've got a lot of time on your hands you could look through these pic sites. Might get an idea as to genus or at least family...or find someone to contact who might know...

http://www.ascidians.com/

http://www.guiamarina.com/ascidiacea/index.php

http://www.poppe-images.com/images/by_fami...y=sea%20squirts

--Diane

UPDATE: January 24th, 2007

So everything seems to be happy, save for my UFO tunicates. Just as quickly as they appeared, now they're gone. The good news is that my tri-color ricordia is starting to split. Here's a shot in action.

triColorRicordia3.jpg

WOW! That ricordia looks INCREDIBLE! I love the brownish orange hue all over it. I never see ones like that around here. Great tank so far too!

UPDATE: January 24th, 2007

So everything seems to be happy, save for my UFO tunicates. Just as quickly as they appeared, now they're gone. The good news is that my tri-color ricordia is starting to split. Here's a shot in action.

triColorRicordia3.jpg

Great shot!

Looks like the upper part will still have two mouths as well.

You should have a nice little ric garden pretty soon. B)

I'm still messing with my camera to figure out the correct settings to use under my lights. I've been bracketing shots since I set it up. I'm fairly pleased with the way that picture came out, but when I finally figure out the magic setting, I should be able to snap a truer pic. That ricordia almost glows under the light, I just can't seem to nail it. Thanks for the compliments everyone! :)

UPDATE: January 26th, 2007

Only hanging on by a thread now.

triColorRicordia4.jpg

Still can't seem to find the right settings on the camera, I've bracketed all my shots and even doing the exact same thing as last the colors are all completely different and washed out.

Archived