SaltCritters.com

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

I have one good shot on my camera's memory card that I will try and get up this afternoon. I have to go work in my lab on some slide preps of a recent culture and there is an excellent computer there with imaging software. I also have hours of empty time between steps so I really have no excuse.

Oh yeah, _phase, I do go to Whitman. You're in the Seattle area? What do you do there (student, living, etc.)? I spent the summer there in the U-district with a bunch of friends and worked down in Tumwater.

And yeah, having an industrial generator at my disposal does make storms less frightening for the tank.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoob, about how much do you evap per day, or do you know. Also could you post a picture of your sump? Thanks man great job with the tank by the way. I have a friend who is wanting set one up in the near future so we are trying to get a feel for the whole system.

I have one good shot on my camera's memory card that I will try and get up this afternoon. I have to go work in my lab on some slide preps of a recent culture and there is an excellent computer there with imaging software. I also have hours of empty time between steps so I really have no excuse.

Oh yeah, _phase, I do go to Whitman. You're in the Seattle area? What do you do there (student, living, etc.)? I spent the summer there in the U-district with a bunch of friends and worked down in Tumwater.

And yeah, having an industrial generator at my disposal does make storms less frightening for the tank.

Thats cool what are you studying for over at whitman?

I'm going to the U as of now but planning on moving to another school

crazy how a student has such a nice tank in his dorm :)

Hoob, about how much do you evap per day, or do you know. Also could you post a picture of your sump? Thanks man great job with the tank by the way. I have a friend who is wanting set one up in the near future so we are trying to get a feel for the whole system.

Evaperation is running around 2-3 gallons a day recently. However, the dorm I am in have a heating system that runs way too hot so I leave my windows wide-open all day even when it's below freezing. Also, I use a fan at night and it circulates the air as well. Where I was living last semester I had two rooms so the tank was in its own room and the heater was normal; then I only lost around 1.5 gallons per day, sometimes less. Here's a few old pics of the sump:

DSC_00821.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

Hope that helps!

Thats cool what are you studying for over at whitman?

I'm going to the U as of now but planning on moving to another school

crazy how a student has such a nice tank in his dorm :)

My major is BBMB, biophysicsc, biochemistry and molecular biology and I'm premed. It's basically biology with a couple extra classes.

What are you doing at the UW and where do you want to transfer to?

drifterstudios

How much noise are you getting from this... I have my 46g set-up and it sounds like niagra falls in my living room... I think it's an overflow issue as the flow boxes on mine have the round pipe on the bottom, not the side like yours.

Also my sump is hard piped, instead of the flex pipe you have on yours... I needed to split the overflow so it could feed the refuge as well... I'm working on getting some pics posted, but my card reader is broke...

How much noise are you getting from this... I have my 46g set-up and it sounds like niagra falls in my living room... I think it's an overflow issue as the flow boxes on mine have the round pipe on the bottom, not the side like yours.

Also my sump is hard piped, instead of the flex pipe you have on yours... I needed to split the overflow so it could feed the refuge as well... I'm working on getting some pics posted, but my card reader is broke...

The noise isn't bad at all actually. I do have a different drain that you so that might make the difference. I have to sleep in the same room as it so I'm glad it doesn't sound like yours! Have you tried packing the box with filterfloss?

Here's the updated pic of my sump. The one above was a temporary just until I did this:

DSC_00069.JPG

And please post pics of your tank as soon as you can, I would really like to see it!

A few update pics:

My favorite zoa, I post a new pic of these guys every few months...green bay packers...

DSC_0237NEF.jpg

Sps top-down:

DSC_0236NEF.jpg

AND...

--My New Order From Mvite--

Pics were all taken an hour after the frags went in. There's no white/blue messing in the pics, these are the colors our of the bag! I only changed the fill light and sharpened them...

Independence Day:

DSC_0232NEF.jpg

Teaser:

DSC_0231NEF.jpg

Tiger Eyes:

DSC_0230NEF.jpg

Red UFOs:

DSC_0228NEF.jpg

Blue UFO (massive!):

DSC_0227NEF.jpg

Joe Maumaugh in a Blender:

DSC_0226NEF.jpg

-- Freebies! --

Eden (small, but puffed up in minutes):

DSC_0225NEF.jpg

Non-Indo Acan:

DSC_0224NEF.jpg

Shot taken the second after they went in...and without my glass pane that gives nice, clear pics:

DSC_0222.jpg

They look amazing for being in so little time, which is a testament to Mvites shipping skills. They were packed great with no leaks and arrived warm despite temperatures in the teens. I can't recommend dealing with Mvite more!

Take a few shots of you SPS please.

Alright...they are not the best. My light doesn't come in from the front of the tank at all so the good colors are unreachable with my camera...but I cropped down a few until they looked decent.

DSC_0177NEF.jpg

Purple Bonsai:

DSC_0172NEF.jpg

Pink Birdsnest...the same one that I pulled out of the stomach (gastrointestinal cavity to be a nerd). It's frown from the size of a pea to what it is now...still not a lot but better!:

DSC_0164NEF.jpg

DSC_0163NEF.jpg

"fat lip" speckled RPE. Something pissed this guy off:

DSC_0175NEF.jpg

^^He's right--they like the smooth skinned acros.

No fear--they are easy to beat.

As for the micros---No one said it so I will---WTH with that algae on the plugs already??!!!

Eeeesh---I knew it looked bad in my tank---I realize now that it looks worse in others'!

You can clean those off like teeth. You can take the plugs out of the water and scratch at them. You can also do it under water.

Wait a couple days though--your CUC will likely do a good job on them. My tubs are too vast for me to have enough snails to eat that shat.

Thanks again J!!!

Ah man. I had them before and thought I had gotten rid of them. Apparently not. I only see them on the bonsai, so I will treat it. I did dips with lugos and DI water before and it worked...well obviusly not but it helped!

Thanks for spotting that guys, I can't beleive I didn't see them!

Oh yeah,as for the algae, I came into my room a couple hours ago and two emerald crabs and two mithrax crabs had stripped nearly all the plugs, so at least I got that pest taken care of!

Oh yeah,as for the algae, I came into my room a couple hours ago and two emerald crabs and two mithrax crabs had stripped nearly all the plugs, so at least I got that pest taken care of!

YAY!!!

Bad news...the Red UFOs died over night. Yesterday they were looking great, puffed out and everything. Today I looked at them and there was no tissue left, completely gone. I can't imagine what happened. Shame to lose one already! I must have done something bad to it, it isn't easy to kill coral that arrives so healthy.

Wow that sux...I hope that's the only casualty. FWIW you can leave the skeleton in the tank. I've had some pieces that looked gone for sure come back after a while.

Wow that sux...I hope that's the only casualty. FWIW you can leave the skeleton in the tank. I've had some pieces that looked gone for sure come back after a while.

That's what I am hoping for. I put it in a safe spot and I hope there was something left that will regenerate.

Most excellent project! Let me know if you frag those "Green Bay Packers." I will be interested. I'm looking forward to seeing those Acan's from Mvite mature too.

Keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...
Most excellent project! Let me know if you frag those "Green Bay Packers." I will be interested. I'm looking forward to seeing those Acan's from Mvite mature too.

Keep up the great work!

As a matter of fact, for my public address class I did a speech on how to frag coral and to make the powerpoint I fragged my green bay packers. So in a couple weeks (to make sure they are healthy) I will have ~6-7 1-3 polyp frags available! So if anyone is interested...keep in mind I'm out in eastern Washington.

Archived