Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The move was a complete success!

Although I have to admit that I almost gave myself a hernia lifting the tank and carrying it down two flights of winding stairs. It was intense. I didn't loose anything during the move and everything was opening up as soon as I put the water back in (I took almost all of it out for the move). It was around 25 degrees here during the trip across campus so I was afraid of the cold air killing my sps but they toughed it out (and I layered the top with plastic and towels). I still haven't moved the lights, but I will get that done today.

I have decided that as soon as I can afford it I am going to buy nicer lights for this tank. I need a lot of power (I would like HQI/T5HO combo) but they are SO expensive. Getting enough light would blow a year's work-study wages. I am looking at the oddyssea fixtures...but I am hesitant. I purchased one for one of my school's tank and it has worked fine but I still have heard too many bad stories. Also, a 250 watt bulb would fry my corals that are only an inch or less below the surface.

Alright, I have a microbiology final in five minutes so I should get to that.

Kydsexy, I got the red kelp from a lfs for one dollar. It was the size of a penny with no color when I got it.

Last updates before I leave my tank for two weeks. I am terrified that something awful will happen. If so, here are the last shots...

FTSs

DSC_0029_NEF.jpg

DSC_0056_NEF.jpg

DSC_0001NEF-5.jpg

I just noticed how sadly fixated on that angle I am....oh well.

View from the hall, the tank is in a lab in my school's science building:

DSC_0021NEF-4.jpg

Extra top-off water:

DSC_0035NEF-1.jpg

Fuge:

DSC_0038NEF-3.jpg

A disaster waiting to happen...

DSC_0051NEF-2.jpg

I put it into the bio112 lab, which is only used for the second-semester introductory biology class. It's a big lab and there isn't too much in it so I just put it in the back of the room.

I am looking at the oddyssea fixtures...but I am hesitant.

Hmmm that is a tough one. I have an Odyssea 150w HQI + CF and so far *crosses fingers* it hasn't burned my house down. I got it with the rest of my setup, used. Personally, I see buying Odyssea fixture as kind of a gamble. They say the new ones are better... Though having taken mine apart a few time to clean the thing I wouldn't declare them a safe bet just yet. They seem to have made everything out of plastic they possibly can (even the clear splashgaurds on my CF lights are plastic yeesh!)

When it's time for me to buy new lights I will likely build my own so I can build it to last, make it look nice, and get exactly what I want. Heck I would rather save up and buy an overpriced, mass-produced fixture that was built well before I would buy an Odyssea. lol Thats just my pov though. With the resources available to you on campus and with the right friends, I bet you could build exactly what you want. It might cost a bit more than an Odyssea, but I think it would be worth it.

Either way, I am glad to see your tank made it through the move. Best of luck!

why did you place it in the science lab?

I'm an idiot. I thought you said where, but you said why.

I am a BBMB major so I spent a lot of time in the science building. I also take care of all the aquariums there and work in a neurobiology lab so I know that staff and I have all the keys. It's an easy place to leave stuff and there is always someone to watch out for it while I am away.

The new Oddesey fixtures have electronic ballasts. The problem with them is that the 250w versions don't put out 250w. More like 180-200w. This fires the bulbs fine, but the color is different as well as the output. A lot of people have upgraded the fixtures with Coralvue ballasts and say that they are pretty nice after this is done. I think I have read that the fixture itself is almost identical to the Coralife units. Acrylic splash guards is not a big deal over the PC bulbs, but over the HQI, you need a UV filter. I don't know if these fixtures come with one?

I am glad the move went well. Are you going to move it back to the dorm room after you get back?

Anyone want to tell me what they think of these lights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Throwing two of the 48 inch set-ups over the tank would give a lot of light and look A LOT better. Hard to say what the quality is like. The feedback is good but is only there for the past 6 mos. Call me creepy but I googled the seller and all I got was a bunch of personal adds for the guy. Anyway, they look nice and I really like that they have T5HO instead of the CF that Odyssea has. If I am going to go cheap, and that's the only way I can afford to go right now, they look pretty nice.

GrandeGixxer,

I am moving to a different room after break but I will move my tank back there when I do. Luckily there will be no more stairs involved! That's also assuming that my tank makes it the next 2 weeks without me...and I am truly terrified that something awful is going to happen and I will not only lose my tank but have to pay for repairs at my school!

For some reason Ebay links never work. :(

Yeah, they don't work. I wish there was a way to do it. You can search for items from this seller:

xsord2007

And then look for the 48 inch metal halide + T5 HO system.

• 3 weeks later...

12 hours until I get off my last connecting flight and see if my tank is alright after two and a half weeks with no updates! Wish me luck.

scary. i dunno how you did it. I am already fearing my 7 day spring training trip in miami this year knowing I will be leaving my mom in charge of the tank. Luckily, it is only a few days old now so I shouldn't have too much in it by then, leaving only top off and feeding(which i'll pre-measure).

Best of luck on your return.

drifterstudios

Hoob's Can you explain how you hooked up you Loc-line... I have to order the set-up for my 46gal zero. and am a little lost on how it would connect to the bulkheads?

what did you use to separate the lines, a manifold or just some y connectors?

How many lines do you have running of the single bulkhead?

Thanks...

Oh man, sorry for the delays. My computer broke over break and was away being fixed for two weeks, then today I got it back and it was broken with a different, and far worse, problem right out of the box. I won't have it for at least another two weeks. Blows.

So my life essentially falls apart without my computer but at least the tank is doing well. I moved it back to my new room and the losses from break were relatively minimal, but not non-existant. I lost my nightmare paly (my most expensive paly, go figure) as well as the teardrop maxima (go figure again, most expensive). The paly appears to have come of the plug and just floated away, strange as it was well established. The clam looked as though it came detached and got knocked upside down. Then is slowly starved or was picked at until it died. When I found it the clam smelled terrible but still had living tissue. It was too far gone to save so I took it out. Also, I lost my pipe fish. Sigh.

We had a massive windstorm here in Walla Walla with 78 mph winds. On campus nearly 60 trees were down and we lost power for three days. Luckily I have an in at the biology department so I got to hook up tank up to the emergency generates which kept everything fine throughout the storm, and my check valve actually worked this time!

As soon as I get settled into my classes (hardest semester yet) and am settled into my new living arrangements I will get my pics onto someone's computer and get them up. The tank is looked pretty good and there was good growth on the sps over break.

Thanks for the continued interest everyone and I will try and get someone worth looking at soon.

Josiah

Oh man, sorry for the delays. My computer broke over break and was away being fixed for two weeks, then today I got it back and it was broken with a different, and far worse, problem right out of the box. I won't have it for at least another two weeks. Blows.

So my life essentially falls apart without my computer but at least the tank is doing well. I moved it back to my new room and the losses from break were relatively minimal, but not non-existant. I lost my nightmare paly (my most expensive paly, go figure) as well as the teardrop maxima (go figure again, most expensive). The paly appears to have come of the plug and just floated away, strange as it was well established. The clam looked as though it came detached and got knocked upside down. Then is slowly starved or was picked at until it died. When I found it the clam smelled terrible but still had living tissue. It was too far gone to save so I took it out. Also, I lost my pipe fish. Sigh.

We had a massive windstorm here in Walla Walla with 78 mph winds. On campus nearly 60 trees were down and we lost power for three days. Luckily I have an in at the biology department so I got to hook up tank up to the emergency generates which kept everything fine throughout the storm, and my check valve actually worked this time!

As soon as I get settled into my classes (hardest semester yet) and am settled into my new living arrangements I will get my pics onto someone's computer and get them up. The tank is looked pretty good and there was good growth on the sps over break.

Thanks for the continued interest everyone and I will try and get someone worth looking at soon.

Josiah

dood!!! I wish I went to whitman....

you go to whitman right? :lol:

Archived