Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the room shot! For some reason it's just fun to see someone's tanks in situ...(That a SW or FW in the corner?)

That's my idea of a great room. (You're certainly a neat person--as in tidy--but probably as in cool, too. ;) )

--Diane

That's actually the fuge in the corner. If you look closely you can see the piping between them. Not the cleanest set-up, but it sure kills the nitrates. And thanks for the neat compliment! That's funny. Rooms a mess.

I just finished reading this entire thread, and I gotta say all the time and effort you put in has really paid off.

Thanks a lot! It has been a lot of fun.

New FTS. Got rid of the tang as it killed my pipefish and Glen's (jimithing) tank was ready to take it! You can now see it over in that thread.

DSC_009800000.JPG

I started uploading 20 new pics, left to go return a keg from a friends 21st, and I got back and only 11 pics are up. How slow can it go?

So...while I wait I'll throw this one in for fun. I probably spend more time taking pictures/culturing/staining neurons that I do taking pics of my tank (and you can see how much time I waste on my tank). I liked this picture, not as clear as I would hope but none-the-less.

GCM_Chol.jpg

OK! Back on topic. New pics. I apologize that I have so many of the same frags/colonies, I use this thread as an easy measure of growth.

Rainbows:

DSC_0049NEF-2.jpg

Red Kelp:

DSC_0048NEF-2.jpg

Pescado Pinks:

DSC_0040NEF.jpg

Teardrop Maxima:

DSC_0037NEF-3.jpg

Front Right Corner:

DSC_0034NEF-2.jpg

Some sort of paly:

DSC_0036NEF-2.jpg

Purples:

DSC_0032NEF-1.jpg

Greens:

DSC_0031NEF-3.jpg

Blasto Merletti:

DSC_0030NEF-1.jpg

Nice Blue:

DSC_0029NEF-4.jpg

PPRPE:

DSC_0028NEF-2.jpg

Yellow-Brick Road (maybe?):

DSC_0018NEF-3.jpg

Nuclear Green:

DSC_0017NEF-3.jpg

Green Monti Cap:

DSC_0055NEF-2.jpg

Close-up:

DSC_0056NEF-2.jpg

Another Green:

DSC_0052NEF-1.jpg

Some palys:

DSC_0050NEF-1.jpg

Holy crap those are gorgeous!!

You should parcel them out, a few to a post, so we could comment on each as it appears...

Your pics have such excellent focus and detail...

My fav is the merletti, just because it's one of my favorite corals in general; your pic does wonders to delineate the intricate tentacle arrangement...I found my self staring at it for a long time.

That unknown paly is one of the best looking palys I've ever seen. And of course the zoas are out of this world. Color-wise, I think my favorite is the little yellow-brick road...

Never apologize for posting more shots of the same stuff. Every pic is different. I'd look at yours anytime.

BTW: the nerve pic--I assume the green things are the nerve cells..are their arms dendrites? And what is the red matrix? Cool pic.

--Diane

Nice pics. Are the ones that you are calling 'Purple Palys', are they 'Armor of God'?

Thanks, and they are not AOG. In person they have a dark purple tint. I have a few red palys and these are quite different, although the pattern is quite similar!

Diane:

Thanks for the compliments! I wish I would parcel them out but I tend to do a slew of pics on days when I have the time and never have the patience to wait long enough for the posts to not auto-combine. This big one was actually a few small but it got cut up.

You're right, th pic is a culture of rat hippocampal neurons. The green is an immunocytochemistry stain for MAP2 (microtubule-associated protein) that is only present in dendrites. The green is Synapsin which is a pre-synaptic protein—hence it is only found in axons. The work that I am doing now is looking at how cholesterol effects synapse formation and dendritic growth. I measure the length of the dendritic arbor and then count how many synapse have formed. It’s cool because all the machinery for a synapse is packaged into a vesicle and transported down the axon so you can see all the vesicles, the red nodes, traveling down the axons.

That's what I thought...

:D Yeah, right!

Sounds interesting, though. Are you expecting/finding any particular effect?

--Diane

Oh yeah...I forgot a few!

I love these guys:

DSC_0027NEF-3.jpg

Green Bay Packers (lots of new growth):

DSC_0025NEF-2.jpg

RPE:

DSC_0023NEF-4.jpg

PDubb:

DSC_0022NEF-4.jpg

Diane,

I expect from that cholesterol, if nothing else, increases the amount of pre-synaptic machinery that is produced. The picture show is a cholesterol culture and it has BY FAR the most synapsin nodes, the red stuff, of all the slides I have seen so far. But I haven't done any specific work on this round yet. Haha, I should have a real answer in a couple months...

1000th post. I just had to make it here.

Thanks to everyone who commented, I really like hearing whatever people have to say!

GrandeGixxer, three semesters left. After that...well I have not thought about it. Sell it all?

I'm still trying to figure out how to carry the tank down three sets of winding stairs in a week...

Suggestions for that one?

Get some rope and a good pulley and a bunch of guys. We put couches into a buddies apartment this way. I am sure you can take a tank out. Are you moving it to a more permanent home?

Danm, that would be hard to do. Parting with a beautiful tank like this, I wouldn't do it.

If ya ever need help bringing that stuff down those stairs let me know, I'd be willing to lend some muscle.

Alright. Tomorrow is the big moving day! I am going to empty all the water from the tank, cover the top with plastic wrap and cover that with towels, and then tie climbing straps to the bottom and make looks that fit over shoulders. That was we can lift the tank using our backs/knees instead of arms and should make everything a lot easier. This tank BARELY fits down the stairs so I am nervous about how it's going to go. Luckily I have a groups of 7 big friends to help out. Wish me luck! I do not want to loose anything during the move...

Archived