Cultivated Reef

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazing tank! I just spent the morning reading through this whole thread. Fantastic photos too.

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun for me putting the tank together and taking the pictures, I'm glad you enjoyed them as well.

So here I am cheating a little bit. I just got a bunch of livestock from Monteray Bay Aquariums that I've put into the tanks that I set-up and care for at my school. Here are a few shots of some sweet inverts:

DSC_0009NEF-2.jpg

DSC_0006NEF-5.jpg

DSC_0008NEF-5.jpg

Check out the holdfast this guy is attached too...I am hoping to get it to grow some stalks.

DSC_0007NEF-5.jpg

Alright, so tonight I am on duty and hence trapped in my hall. I have taken the time to finally clean my tank and take some pictures. I had two tests and a speech this week (one was 3.5 hours of biophysics--fun).

Anyway. There's a lot coming, all macros and a few new shots, but most repeats of old shots.

DSC_0007NEF-6.jpg

DSC_0036NEF-3.jpg

DSC_0033NEF-3.jpg

DSC_0030NEF-2.jpg

DSC_0029NEF-5.jpg

DSC_0028NEF-3.jpg

DSC_0027NEF-4.jpg

DSC_0021NEF-5.jpg

DSC_0020NEF-4.jpg

Gorgeous! What kind of anemone is that? I just got one, but the guy at the store called it a sand anemone, but I don't think that is right. Mine is the same with green tips. Also, I have the same pink pallys and they have been closed up for like a month now. One of the heads is even shrinking up. Have you ever had the issue? My phosphates have been a little high lately, but other than that, everything is perfect!

I love your tank! I'll keep an eye on this one.

Gorgeous! What kind of anemone is that? I just got one, but the guy at the store called it a sand anemone, but I don't think that is right. Mine is the same with green tips. Also, I have the same pink pallys and they have been closed up for like a month now. One of the heads is even shrinking up. Have you ever had the issue? My phosphates have been a little high lately, but other than that, everything is perfect!

I love your tank! I'll keep an eye on this one.

Hey, I think that you probably have a rock anenome. I had one a while ago and it looked pretty similiar to the one that I have pictured above, and I think that they are sometimes called sand anemones. The anenomes pictures above are actually coldwater species that I care for at my college, so they are probably not the one you have in your tank. I have had my palys stay closed up for a long time, they usually get over it. I don't think that phosphates would cause it to do that but I am not an expect. I really don't do any testing so am not an expert by any means...

New pic:

DSC_0003NEF-3.jpg

Quick update:

After realizing that my tank might as well be called a pod reef as opposed to anything else I have taken the plunge and purchased two dragonfaced pipefish and a rainford's goby from liveaquaria.com. I'm pretty excited to get something different. Unfortunately I realized today that my biochemistry test is on Thursday and my package is coming tomorrow afternoon. I care far more about my livestock and hope that doesn't take a bite out of my study time. I guess I'll be hitting the books tonight.

I've had only good experience with my clown and pipefish (although I did lose my last ones, they were not lost to the clown). I am a little worried about the goby with the clown, but there's a lot of territory in my tank and the clown has a very specific region that it rarely leaves. If worst comes to worst I can move the goby to the 24g nanocube, but I'm hoping that the two will get along.

Sweet tank, great pictures...what type of camera?

Knowing you have moved that tank several times is reassuring to me, as I am about to move mine.

Sweet tank, great pictures...what type of camera?

Knowing you have moved that tank several times is reassuring to me, as I am about to move mine.

Thanks, it's a Nikon D40x with a Sigma 105mm macro.

And moving isn't half as hard as you might think. Luckily I have a lot of big friends so we used climbing rope and didn't even take out that much water. Even so, carrying it down three stories with no elevator wasn't too simple. I was on the lower side of the tank and used my thigh to support the weight and had a deep bruise for three week. Good fun.

Court Jester (Ranier's) Goby:

DSC_0012NEF-4.jpg

The dragonface pipefish wouldn't move off an awful patch of algae on the sand so no good shots of them yet...

For such a delicate fish the pipefish really adjusted fast. They are exploring the tank as I speak and the clown doesn't touch either the goby or the pipefish. I think the goby is too small and the pipefish don't even look like fish, hence they're no threat. These were just snapshots so the depth of field and quality is not the best.

DSC_0030NEF-3.jpg

DSC_0037NEF-4.jpg

Those pipe fish are really cool I've kept the banded ones long ago alive on live brine twice a day for about 3 months and man was that a ton of work what is the care requirements on these guys hoob?

I've kept a couple pipefish for months before on the pods in the tank alone. I have a 24 gallon fuge that trades water at around 300 gph. The tank is loaded with pods and the pipefish live off those. The last two pipefish were killed by a tang that I was holding temporarily but were fat and healthy until that day.

Sounds good, mine were in a ten gal. just for them w/ maybe 5lbs. of rock and a hob. I was fishing offshore and found them in sargassum and thought they'd be cool to have. I had no clue how to care for them but my dad had kept many seahorses before so he helpped me out they ended up dying of my heater failing and the tank got to cold. :( They were so cool too! Btw the tank had been running for a while and was mature it wasn't just a spur of the moment set up the tank and toss em' in thing and this was back when people used chrused coral and wet-drys and cycled tanks with damsels.

For such a delicate fish the pipefish really adjusted fast. They are exploring the tank as I speak and the clown doesn't touch either the goby or the pipefish. I think the goby is too small and the pipefish don't even look like fish, hence they're no threat. These were just snapshots so the depth of field and quality is not the best.

DSC_0030NEF-3.jpg

DSC_0037NEF-4.jpg

Wow!!! Too cool for words! Post as many pics of these guys as you like!

I've always loved that particular goby's pattern, too.

--Diane

WOW...I know you have kept some stunning pipefish before but this one is absolutely stunning. The color variations are amazing and I'm sure it's incredible seeing it cruise around in your tank.

As Diane said, don't hold back on the pics of this guy.

Hey, thanks so much to everyone for their comments. I do really like these guys, they have a lot of personality. I think that they might be a mated pair. They are always together. They go hunting around the tank by crawling like snakes and are always on top of each other or intertwined. Also, they have very different markings and one has a yellow region of its abdomen so I think they might be male and female. Unfortunately I only have posted pictures of one of the two so you can't see the difference in markings. I will try and get a good shot tonight. I've already seen them picking off pods so I think they will do well in my set-up *fingers crossed*.

Archived