Cultivated Reef

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

SweetCorraline

At my last apartment, no joke the alarm would get pulled at least once a week between 1-4am. this went on for about 4 months. $@$!@# FRESHMAN!

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SweetCorraline

i have a couple of rocks that at night have these little arm things that look just like your pic only not the whole body. it kind of pokes out and extends and retracts. do you think thats what it could be?

Yeah, dorm life kicks ass...

Spaghetti worm! I've always wanted to catch one of these out of its burrow:

DSC_0022_NEF.jpg

Wow, very sweet pic!

Apparently the common name spaghetti worm is applied to worms in two different families. Seems to me the most common one is the white/clear one with all the tents usually found in rock...these are in the Terebellid family. The one you have is probably a Cirratulid, and perhaps we should try to call these hair worms to eliminate confusion...

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

(see discussion of differences of the two families at the bottom of this article:)

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/index.php

--Diane

Where do you get most of your livestock?

I order a lot online. Fraggle Reef, yourreef, sealifeflorida, reefermadness, bluezoo aquatics...can't remember anything else right now.

All these recent zoas I got from Kigs (OldBoy). I will be posting all that I got from him soon, he's got a pretty incredible collection!

i have a couple of rocks that at night have these little arm things that look just like your pic only not the whole body. it kind of pokes out and extends and retracts. do you think thats what it could be?

It's possible. Are they yellow like more or tan/white with darker stripes. If they are striped they are probably mini-brittlestars. I have loads of those thens and they come out at night. The hair worms are out day and night. Whichever you have they are harmless and pretty cool to watch! But yeah, when I see the hair worms in the rocks I can only see their tentacles all coming out of a hole, this was the first time that I saw the body.

Wow, very sweet pic!

Apparently the common name spaghetti worm is applied to worms in two different families. Seems to me the most common one is the white/clear one with all the tents usually found in rock...these are in the Terebellid family. The one you have is probably a Cirratulid, and perhaps we should try to call these hair worms to eliminate confusion...

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

(see discussion of differences of the two families at the bottom of this article:)

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/index.php

--Diane

Daine, hey thanks! That's a sweet link. It's always good to find out more about your tank's inhabitants.

This is in a dorm room??? My dorm room was like a 6x6 jail cell!

I remember those stupid people always pulling the fire alarm... and I was on the 6th floor. :angry:

Oh, and that tank looks awesome. :)

Thanks guys. As far as I know it's the only zeroedge, but I talked to someone a few weeks ago that is getting one in the near future...forgot who at the moment.

Haha, yeah, it's a dorm room. I got lucky and am in the best dorm on campus (expect for the all-girls dorm which is decked out with carved armours, paintings, leather, etc. all from some money a woman left for it).

I just got a good shot of my bam bams from FR that have settled in really well. I posted a pic a page ago, but this one is a lot better:

DSC_0002NEF-5.jpg

OMG, what an incredible looking tank!!

Super pics of the tank, and also that last one of the bam bams...

How do you ever tear yourself away to study?

--Diane

OMG, what an incredible looking tank!!

Super pics of the tank, and also that last one of the bam bams...

How do you ever tear yourself away to study?

--Diane

Haha, let's just say that it's not always that clean. I spent about an hour scrubbing coraline and crud off of everything and removing my frag racks. Usually it looks nothing like that...and I always go to the library to study...

• 2 weeks later...

6 clams so far. I like clams way too much, I have a feeling I will be adding more before too long.

I left the tank in the care of a friend with no experience what so ever in reef tanks. Surprisingly, after 9 days the tank looks great! Growth has been excellent. I think I will clean it less and feed more, haha, because I see such great results from minimal maintenance! I'm not serious, but there's something to be said for water that isn't too clean...for zoas and palys in particular.

Anyway, I am getting a new lens so that I can tank non-macro shots without borrowing a lens but for the time being all I have to show are a few more close-ups.

PPRPE:

DSC_0016NEF-2.jpg

Purple Death. I have had this for less than a month and it already has three babies:

DSC_0010NEF-4.jpg

Nightmare Paly, this is a sweet paly!:

DSC_0004NEF-1.jpg

very nice stuff man! Lovin the purple death for sure.

Thanks Glen. I think a frag of it would look great in that new tank of yours. I'll get one after the holidays. It grows so fast I can't let it take over the tank.

MGXsport, I have some available but maybe not anything that you would be interested in...I think I'll be posting them soon.

Room shot:

DSC_0004_NEF2.jpg

I put up a thread in the classifieds section with a few frags and have some that I did not list if you're interested. You're pretty close so shipping would probably go really well. PM me if you want more pics or anything.

I actually spent much of Sunday in Moses Lake waiting on a plane for fog to clear out of Seattle...

Love the room shot! For some reason it's just fun to see someone's tanks in situ...(That a SW or FW in the corner?)

That's my idea of a great room. (You're certainly a neat person--as in tidy--but probably as in cool, too. ;) )

--Diane

MGXsport, I have some available but maybe not anything that you would be interested in...I think I'll be posting them soon.

Room shot:

DSC_0004_NEF2.jpg

^^^^

Wire hell :lol: lol J/K

-Mac

Archived