Top Shelf Aquatics

Hoob's 40g ZeroEdge

Hoobahans

OK, so I failed painfully at using picasa to get my pics up...so back to the same old same old (NR is great, but I have to delete a photo every time I upload a new one!)

This is a teaser of the whole order I got today. This was a big order, and these are just the first few to open up after a couple hours. Hope they look alright.

Not sure on the name of this one yet:

DSC_0009.NEF.jpg

PD:

DSC_0010.NEF.jpg

Not sure yet:

DSC_0011.NEF.jpg

Creamsicles and other?:

DSC_0014.NEF.jpg

?:

DSC_0019.NEF.jpg

Er1c's Paly:

DSC_0020.NEF.jpg

Freebie!

DSC_0022.NEF.jpg

Half-Rack of order:

By the way, anything that is not a paly or zoa that you see here is a freebie! Two sps frags not shown...

DSC_0028.NEF.jpg

Raspberry limade:

DSC_0025.NEF.jpg

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. That's the kind of shipment I'd want insurance on!! For your pictures you should try Photobucket. It's very easy and I've never had a problem.

Photobucket has a file size limit that's too small, I have to compress the files...lol and I'm lazy. I've been using photobucket for a while, but I use picasa for all my eiditing, cropping, etc, so it's a lot easier to upload them to their web album. And I meant to cut out that sentence about not being able to use photobucket, with jsw's help I got it figured out.

drifterstudios

have you had any problems with the pipefish in the open top? I have a 46rflex coming from zeroedge to use as a test install tank. Would love to make it a pipefish only tank.

Also any detailed pics of the frags racks and how you made them would be great.

have you had any problems with the pipefish in the open top? I have a 46rflex coming from zeroedge to use as a test install tank. Would love to make it a pipefish only tank.Also any detailed pics of the frags racks and how you made them would be great.

No problems with the pipefish at all, they are actually the easiest fish I have taken care of.

That 46rflex looks great! I hope you put up some pics when you get it...looks very clean.

I actually wanted to turn my tank into a pipefish tank after I got the first one. They are really active and cool to watch. They float around the tank like tiny blimps.

I don't have any better pics of the frag racks at the moment. I only have a macro lens with now so getting good shots of them is difficult. I will try to get some in the future. However, their construction is very simple. I just made a top shelf and two support pieces about half the width of the top shelf. Instead of cleaning on the ends of the support pieces I left the nubs of plastic that were there after I broke it into its shape and used them to anchor the support into the sand. Also, the plastic tabs fit perfectly into the egg crate shelf. No glue, ties or anything, it's free standing.

How large are your files?? If you save them as jpeg you should be able to use almost any size pic on photobucket without a problem.

lol, I'm an idiot. I say the pixel limit and didn't realize that the site resized the photos when you uploaded them. Oh well, I got it to work now.

Here's a few shots of some of my frags and colonies:

Echino from FR:

DSC_0078NEF.jpg

DSC_0056NEF.jpg

Got these from sealifeflorida about a year ago as a freebie with my cuc, they are really nice looking!

DSC_0055NEF-1.jpg

This is from reefermadness, got it in a frag pack. It has colored up nicely in the past few months after not doing so for hot a while..

DSC_0051NEF.jpg

DSC_0047NEF-1.jpg

DSC_0045NEF-1.jpg

DSC_0043NEF-2.jpg

Bam Bams from FR

DSC_0041NEF.jpg

DSC_0039NEF-1.jpg

Two months ago this was on the verge of death, but it has absolutely exploded now and looks great. Also originally from reefermadness:

DSC_0038NEF-1.jpg

DSC_0026NEF.jpg

DSC_0023NEF-1.jpg

DSC_0015NEF-1.jpg

Freebie 1 from Kigs (I purchased a large frag pack from him recently, I will include pics of it all after they all open up and settle in)

DSC_0002NEF-2.jpg

Freebie 2 from Kigs

DSC_0016NEF.jpg

Freebie 3 From Kigs

DSC_0086NEF.jpg

Very nice stuff. Make sure you put a line between all of your img links. It should look better that way.

I did. It compressed the post because there were so many pictures and I haven't had time to go through and edit it. You can see how it messed up the spacing between the words too...oh well.

Nice to see another fellow college reefer! Youve got a very awesome and impressive tank. Im all the way on the other side of the state at UW; dont tell me you're reefer, premed, and a neurobiology major, cause that would make us freakishly similar. Can't wait to see your tank progress and mature fully with all those frags.

josh

I see. That's kind of a pain. I wish it didn't do that.

I know, and even now after I got over being lazy and added the spaces back in I can see that the resizing photobucket did made them look fuzzy and odd. I lost the nice crisp look I like so much.

WOW! Gorgeous pics of gorgeous corals & things! That was a post to drool over.

--Diane

Very nice stuff Hoob! Jealous... :lol:

Thanks a lot! I have been drooling over everyone else's tanks for years. That's the problem with this hobby, nothing is ever enough! I always am itching for something else.

Nice to see another fellow college reefer! Youve got a very awesome and impressive tank. Im all the way on the other side of the state at UW; dont tell me you're reefer, premed, and a neurobiology major, cause that would make us freakishly similar. Can't wait to see your tank progress and mature fully with all those frags.

josh

Thanks man. I rented a house down on 17th and 50th in the U-district over the summer with a bunch of friends, it's a nice school. A tad bit bigger than Whitman's 1300 or so. Unfortunately we don't have any majors specific enough to be called neurobiology, so I am a biophysics, biochemistry, and molecular biology major--which is essentially a biology major with a bit more PCR and all that jazz thrown in there. I work in a neuro lab on campus though and really like it, I think I'm going to do my research in something neuro-related. lol, five minutes ago I got a 4-page-long test of essay questions for my neuro class. I'm going to be spending the next three days pouring over some thrilling research papers. I can hardly wait.

How long have you been at UW? Over the summer I worked with the DOH in Olympia doing some pan flu research and interviewed some profs and other people from UW and the medical center. I really miss being in a city.

Have you ever checked out that lfs down on...Roosevelt...I think it was, or some other dead president street. I think it's called A Fish Store. They have some nice stuff... We don't have anything like that this side of the pass.

This will be my second year at UW, I wass planning to graduate this year (...had a bunch of college credits in hs), but I think I will take a couple of extra years doing a second major in engineering or something, I dont think I am mentally ready for med school yet :unsure:. Ahh, I know what youre going through, neuro midterms are hardcore especially those essay questions. Hope you did well. Nice hearing you found a lab, I think neuro is a good choice for research :), what is your lab studying? When I was searching for a lab I tried looking for one that was using a marine organism as their model :D, but unfortunately I got stuck with mice, not that im complaining. I have been to that fish store on roosevelt once, I found it to be a cute store, but I left kind of dissapointed in their selection, maybe I came on a bad day. If you ever come to the Seattle area you should check out blue seirra in Issaquah, saltwater city in Bellevue, or barrier reef in Renton; these are the three I go to regularly. Just wondering, what do you plan to do with you tank when school year's over?

josh

Have you ever checked out that lfs down on...Roosevelt...I think it was, or some other dead president street. I think it's called A Fish Store. They have some nice stuff... We don't have anything like that this side of the pass.

A guy opened a place here in Moses Lake that is actually surprisingly good. I buy stuff here in Moses Lake for my parents back in the Seattle area, it's that good.

Here is a Columbia Basin article about him and his store.

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/article.../business01.txt

If you ever come to the Seattle area you should check out blue seirra in Issaquah, saltwater city in Bellevue, or barrier reef in Renton; these are the three I go to regularly.

Blue Sierra is great. Johnas, the owner of Blue Sierra, actually helped me move a tank from one house to another and set up a 75 gallon for free!

This will be my second year at UW, I wass planning to graduate this year (...had a bunch of college credits in hs), but I think I will take a couple of extra years doing a second major in engineering or something, I dont think I am mentally ready for med school yet :unsure:. Ahh, I know what youre going through, neuro midterms are hardcore especially those essay questions. Hope you did well. Nice hearing you found a lab, I think neuro is a good choice for research :), what is your lab studying? When I was searching for a lab I tried looking for one that was using a marine organism as their model :D, but unfortunately I got stuck with mice, not that im complaining. I have been to that fish store on roosevelt once, I found it to be a cute store, but I left kind of dissapointed in their selection, maybe I came on a bad day. If you ever come to the Seattle area you should check out blue seirra in Issaquah, saltwater city in Bellevue, or barrier reef in Renton; these are the three I go to regularly. Just wondering, what do you plan to do with you tank when school year's over?

josh

Yeah, I am definitely trying to enjoy my last years of undergraduate studies. However, as I write this I have my exam in front of me. I have three days to do it but both today and tomorrow I am totally booked til 9pm, and on Wednesday Salman Rushdie is speaking on campus--and I can't miss that--so I have hardly any time. It blows, and I can't get over procrastination. It does not help having my tank 7 feet behind my back either...

The lab is working on a variety of things at the moment but my personal project is to culture hippocampal neurons from rats with glial cells, and then move them to glial deprived dishes with conditioned medium. I am testing to see what effects cholesterol and thrombospondin have one dendritic growth and synaptic formation with neurons that don't have glial cells to secrete or modulate the neuron growth, and then later I will see what effects they have on synaptic function. It's pretty interesting and I get a lot of experience with immunocytochemistry and cell imaging so it pays off.

A Fish Store didn't have a great coral selection, but they had a great variety of odd inverts, which have always fascinated me. I went to Barrier Reef this summer and was very impressed, it really made me miss my tank.

I haven't figured out the summer yet. The lab I am in might get a grant for me to research over the summer but I am also applying to a variety of REUs and am looking at the University of Minnesota programs as well as some neuro research in Mayo that I would prefer to do. In that case I will have to find someone to take care of it over the summer...not an easy task and not something I feel too comfortable giving to someone. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

A guy opened a place here in Moses Lake that is actually surprisingly good. I buy stuff here in Moses Lake for my parents back in the Seattle area, it's that good.

Here is a Columbia Basin article about him and his store.

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/article.../business01.txt

That actually looks pretty interesting. Next time I'm driving from Seattle to Walla Walla I'll have to swing through there and check it out. There isn't too much (read any) saltwater to speak of at the LFS here in Walla Walla. I have to drive an hour to get any real selection.

Few more pics of some stuff:

Duncan:

DSC_0011NEF-2.jpg

My favorite zoa, my eagle eye. It was my first coral! Every time I take pictures I have to add another of these...

DSC_0044NEF-1.jpg

Go Huskies! I went to UW. Almost went to Whitman too! You like Whitman Hoob?

I like it. It's too isolated, but it has a great science program so I am happy.

Pics

Coloring up nice, whatever they are:

DSC_0084NEF.jpg

Nightmare paly...waiting for full color:

DSC_0082NEF.jpg

Kedds Reds:

DSC_0080NEF.jpg

Tubs and other:

DSC_0076NEF-1.jpg

Rainbow, coloring up still:

DSC_0074NEF.jpg

?:

DSC_0045NEF-2.jpg

?:

DSC_0042NEF-2.jpg

? (same as top pic here, but diff angle):

DSC_0002NEF-4.jpg

Kedds Reds:

DSC_0080NEF.jpg

Hey! I finally know what the name of my big rock full of zoas is!

Very nice collection of frags, cant wait to see the next FTS (I love the zero edge look)

FTS as soon as I borrow someone lens, all I have not is a macro.

So tonight I got home at 2, got ready for bed at by three I was asleep. At 3:25 some ass pulled the alarm in myu hall and and ridiculously loud, piercing siren went off three feet from my head with a flashing light and I had to wait for the firetruck out back to tell them that some dip###### thought it would be funny. I am full of adrenaline from all the noise and can't sleep now. Damn. Some people are dumb. Who pulls the alarm at 3:30? Freshman year I accidentally hit it with a golf club and set off the building alarm, but at least I had the decency to do it in the evening!

Archived