Coral Vue Hydros

Mattyice 240G (48x48x24) reef cutout

mattyice

Well its time to get the dream tank going, its mostly planned out just waiting for some things to come together and then its time to start ordering and setting everything up so here are the plans

Total and complete mixed reef (LPS, SPS, Clams)

TANK

-Custom made Acrylic 240G cube (48x48x24) that has a 24x5x23 overflow with a 1.5" drain

-Sides and front a 1" Acrylic, the back is 3/4" acrylic, the bottom is 1/2" and the Eurobrace is 1"

-Custom made stand - made out of square tubing and welded then painted with marine epoxy with dimensions of 48x48x36 (still trying to decide on oak, cherry,exotic wood, or wrapped in metal)

-Hood will be bare polished metal and im goign to jazz up the lumenarc pendants

-Returns from the Panworld 100PX-X will be plumbed through an OM 4 way with the plumbing entering the tank in the corners and all of the facing towards the middle of the tank all on penductors

EQUIPMENT

-100G rubbermaid stock bin for a sump

-PanWorld 100PX-X pump for return, will be plumbed into the tank using penductors

-Zeovit reactor

-GEO 618 Calcium reactor

-Reeflo Snapper skimmer (not yet available but it will be the best of the best)

-custom in sump fuge

-custom filter media rack

-Vortech x2 with battery backup and wireless controller

-Lighting will be 4 x 250W Helios 20K MH lamps in Lumenarc III Mini Pendant powered by Sunlight Supply electronic Ballasts

-Profilux reef controller with all the bells and whistles (controlling the calcium reactor, temp, lighting, wireless internet, email alerts, email updates)

PLANS

-Two islands - SPS island and LPS island with clams scattered in the open space

-SPS island will be large and be made out of shelf and big chunks to create caves, overhangs and tunnels

-LPS island will be smaller and will be limited to rare LPS (acan lords, micros, chalice, and brains at the base)

-Clams will be mostly crocea and maxima in the 3-4" range (about 5 of them total)

-Purple or Blue carpet anemone

-Will have a fine 1" layer of sand in the tank (the vortechs or penductors should not affect this)

-as for fish here is what i have so far that i think will really look amazing in the tank

-Achilles Tang (small about 3-4")

-Purple Tang (smaller at about 2-3")

-Clown Tang (baby about 2" now)

-Pair of wrasses (looking at rare fairy wrasses, most likely 2 pairs)

-Pair of angels (either watanabei or zebra)

-Group of Flavicauda anthias (I'm thinking 5 strong in this one)

-Pair of Crosshatch triggers

-To finish it off a Christmas Island Imperator Juvie

Here are some SketchUp Models of the tank

48x48x24cuberight3.4view.jpg

48x48x24frontview.jpg

48x48x24topview.jpg

48x48x24rearview.jpg

I have a set price from Envision Acrylics, anyone who wants a custom acrylic tank should not look at any other company besides Envision!

Total with shipping = $2,350

i will be getting pictures soon, the building of the tank starts the first week of October and it will be done by/on the 19th of Octoberit might seem like a long time but pretty much thats around the corner and gives me time to get the equipment together and ready to get this tank up and running

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like an awesome, solid plan I'm going to follow along with this one for sure. I love the idea of individual rock structures for coral types. What are the tank dimensions going to be? Based on you stand dimensions I'm guessing something like 62x32x21 or 22.

very nicy sketchup rendering! I like the basement view, really gives us an insight to what you'll be looking at. Sounds like a good plan so far.

yes i used sketch up to make it

the tank will actually be 60x30x24 im making the stand a little bit bigger just just give it a little different look then the ones that fit perfectly on the stand

as for a time frame, im hoping to have the tank in about a month maybe more, the rest coming after that, for now its saving up and making all of the money i can, the tank alone is going to cost me 2200 before shipping

I just noticed something in your tank detail picture about your overflow. Why don't you do a coast to coast? You will get little use out of the tiny space on both sides of the over flow and it will look nicer with one clean wall across the back.

yeah i will use black PVC for the piping to blend it in with the overflow and it will be VERY clean of a tank with just the rarest of livestock and the most beautiful corals

yeah i will use black PVC for the piping to blend it in with the overflow and it will be VERY clean of a tank with just the rarest of livestock and the most beautiful corals

Thats good to hear, not enough cleanly designed tanks out there. I'm hoping my project I have brewing can turn out clean.

your equipment list costs more than my life savings =(

But please reconsider the soleset, the reflectors are really crappy considering what you pay. I have the solesingle so I can say this =D

alright i was hoping they would be like the XR4 reflectors but since you say that then i will most likely go with the lumenarc III mini pendants, that should get me awesome spread and light penetration in the tank, i was thinking the soleset because i never could see a decent picture of the reflector portion of the light, and the XR4's are so incredibly expensive

the only reason it looks like the equipment list is so much is because most of it will be extremely cheaper then what you see it...I'm getting ready to start up a store/custom installation business and will be using my tank as an example (hoping that AO will supply me with tanks at a decent price for selling too)

awesome, sounds good. I can take a picture of the reflectors for you if you'd like. But believe me when i say you'd be ####ed when you look at the reflector and think about how much you paid. The ballast, however, is awesome. I currently have a coralife 20k bulb in there that burns clear. Very little blue at all, and most coralife 20k bulbs I've seen on other ballasts burn really blue

a little update on the lighting i have decided to switch to 3 lumenarc mini's and 250W bulbs, no 400W because i added another 250 to the mix, i think 750W of light over a 180 on lumenarc pendants should be more then enough

Have you bought the Profilux yet? I got mine for my 60g that I'm building. I haven't had enough time to play with it, but from what I've seen, it's pretty awesome.

Why the vortechs and not tunzes? The profilux can control the tunzes, unlike the vortechs?

because vortechs are what im really looking for, i would prefer no cords in the tank and the vortechs have so many different options for flow when used with their wireless controller, i can actually place each pump in its own custom mode individually ramping one up and down while say the other one would be in a totally different program, plus there are upgrade programs that will be released along the way so the pump would never really be obsolete

also i havent gotten the profilux yet, im waiting to hear back on a few things before i order the equipment and tank

This sounds like it's going to really be something special. I've got to come down and take a peek at this sucker when you're up and going. The equipment list is really impressive, I've got to see the bubble king in action - I think it's going to make my octupus look like an airstone.

Archived