Pod Your Reef

Finnex 30G SPS Dominated tank build!

erickrm

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive always wanted to get the casing from the tek light and replace the companents with icecap ballast and reflectors but could never find a broken fixture and though gutting a brand new fixture would be such a waste

the casing looks really nice but i dont like the components inside, wish icecap would just make a really nice looking t5 set up

and if you love acans and rics soo much wheres the acans and rics?!

looks like its going to be an awesome setup

eventually i wanted to do that but you knwo what every coral in my tank would proly get cooked if i did that... which is the main reason i did not keep my icecap660 and retro setup.... so i decided well i will go with the tek setup and once the bulbs crap out on me, i will upgrade the reflectors with icecap SLR's... done deal

only problem i can see with this tank, tank is small for pipefish, not nearly the amount of pods needed for them to feed on, the multibanded and dragon face will be able to be fed with frozen but...bluestripe are very very picky and are nearly impossible to get to eat frozen

that is very interesting, I have kept the multi and fed well.... but it will be a challenge to feed the bluestripes.... for this i have setup the fuge in the back of the finnex, and filled it with 2 bottles of triggerpods, hopefully by the time i get the pipes they will be reproducing enough to keep up with the needs of the blues.... and ofcourse will try my best to switch them over to frozen ;) i def appreciate the concern.

alright everyone quick update... i placed an order for tons of pods and should be getting them tomorrow along with my pay of bluestripes :) i will start with that and see how things go, things go well i will continue on to buy 1 dragonface..... i will post more pictures when they are in the tank....

hey guys i was wondering if any of ya knew if i could fit a deltec MCE300 in the back.... i hav emy Tunze 9002 but i just cant seem to get it tuned it or something and its ####in me off, i get it to start bubblin and all it does is fill the cup with water, then dial it down just a bit at a time and then doe snto rise the bubbles high enough... wtf i use to have Deltec and loved the quality and performance of the skimmer and thinki am ready to go back.... you knwo what they say, once you go deltec you never go back ;).... ok bad joke lol... anyone with a deltec hanging off the back of their Finnex 30G?? thanks.

tank is great and equipment is great everything looks happy polyp extension and well right now that is about it ;) no fish haha.... but the skimmer has me a little aggravated bc i never had to play with a skimmer so much to get it to work right, maybe it is bc i have always delt with Recirc skimmers but this one just getting to my last nerve hahah..... over great tank for sure!!

well i just got my pair of bluestripes today... they are doing good it seems, they are hunting for trigger pods hidden in the rocks and went nuts when i fed the tank rotifeast! hopefully i can get them on cyclopes and mysis... frozen that is... wish me luck, i will post some pictures of them tomorrow as i left the lights out for a little bit as to reduce stress :)

i wanna see....hurry up with the pics!

as for the skimmer, i had the same problem with the finnex skimmer at first so i set it on the lowest possible and let it break in for a while, then play around with it after a week or 2 and fine tune it and it started skimmin like a pro....no experience with deltec though so i dont know if it'll be the same

well i have the tunze 9002 working now, but still not exactly what i want although i should stop being so picky bc i know a nano skimmer will never be like my recirc deltec skimmer :( but i think i want to go with the deltec... the total length of it is about 7" and the back of my finnex has like total of 8 long so the plumbing should fit right in :) if anything i will just take that defuser thing off and make things a little smaller i just hope that the plumbing will fit right into the back area :( i saw EZcompany's deltec on his biocube i believe but he had it hanging into the tank and i dont really wan that... but i think our sump area is alot bigger than biocubes... i promise tomorrow when i get back from work i will try my best to take some close ups of the lil fellas... :) hopefully they dont go into the sump thru the holes in the bottom of the back wall haha...

The water flow/level in the skimmer that comes with the 2nd generation 30g finnex is preset. No adjustment needed, just drop it into skimmer chamber, plug in power, then play. Foolproof.

alright guys/gals sorry i have not upped with the pics of the pipes, just been a little busy today redoing my aquascape for them as the way i had it b4 they were hiding int he back alot(not enough over hangs in the front) but now they are good to go i dont have pics of the new scape yet but i will give ya a pic one of the pipes for now ;) will post a new FTS hopefully tomorrow.

DSC03615.jpg

they love swimming upside down :) apparently they spend most of their lives that way :

ok here is the long awaited update :) only a couple of pics for now... but will continue to up it as i get better with the cam :)

FTS

DSC03814.jpg

TopDown

DSC03771.jpg

Pipefish

DSC03805.jpg

Green digi with orange polyps

DSC03762.jpg

enjoy :).... will get better close ups of other corals :)

thanks travis :) i appreciate it. I am so much more happier with this tank than i was with my 75G and 120 only bc i have it exclusively for me! my girl has her own tank now to keep her softies! lol which my sps did not like much..... dont get me wrong i love softies and lps but i do love my SPS!! thanks for the comment.

the pump you see in the bag on the left of the tank, actually has a T fittin gat the top. It has a valve and you can control how much water gets into the fuge, i will take some pics of that for ya tomorrow, its really great system! i am def not disappointed with my purchase!

Archived