Pod Your Reef

Finnex 30G SPS Dominated tank build!

erickrm

holy crap! its been a lil bit huh hahah.... since i last posted i have overstuffed my tank :( too much SPS i guess lol so i have been fragging my SPS away, along the way i had to get rid of one of my bluestripe pipes bc operantly they were both males :(. I later got a pair of dragonface(i think??) and the male already had a batch of babies.... so i now have 1 blue stripe and 2 dragon face, my next thing is to find a female bluestripe!! but its hard to get t hem locally without paying for them first :(. I boght a pack of ricordea from zoomania.com and got myself a ReefKeeper II(but i want a ACjr to use the aquasurf feature for my tunze anyone wanna trade ;)) so far things are great have not had any coral die on me yet(knock on wood i am not jinxing myself! haha) and all my pipes are still alive and eating frozen cyclops! My bluestripe does not like to swim out in the open and does not really come out of his lil home until the lights go out :( which kind of sux but i can live with that i guess.... i added more rock to my tank and rear chambers, but again i dont like how my aquascape looks now :( haha. I am still waiting on my custom stand to be made but i hardly have to time to be messing around with my not so good wood working skills but i will get one done eventually :) and finally my MCE300 is doing great!(compared to my old tunze) just seems to put out alot more micro bubbles than the tunze ever did but then again the tunze never gave me the amount of skimmate that the deltec does in a week! I will try to take some pics later tonite and post them up ASAP!!

stay tuned for the pics ;)...........

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am using starboard, otherwise known as cutting board for your kitchen :) no sand only some porous rocks and cheato in my fuge :) and then just waever ditritious that builds up that gets either siphon or stirred up so taht the corals can eat and the reast get sucked into the skimmer :) works out pretty well im at bout a month in the new tank and params seem pretty stable still no die off as of yet :) i am going to give it about 5more months b4 i thnk i see some real results of this system :) will post pics soon as i get home from work :)

i loved your rock work in the pic in post #43... your tank is great... do you know the dimentions of it? i looks alot bigger then a 30g... great work

That's a nice looking setup.

Pics of the Deltec MCE300 installed please :) Do you also have any photos of how the Tunze 9002 fit in the skimmer chamber?

Can I ask you what you are dosing. I plan of setting up SPS setup on my Finnex 20Gallon M Tank and dosing Bionic 1+2.

BTW your tank looks awesome.

sorry to keep you guys waiting, but my girls camera just sux! or it might just be me i cant find the sweet spot to this cam to take good pics. they always come out wayyyyy too blue or it is so brigh that you cant see crap on the pic! but here is what i could scrape up out of the hundreds of pics i took :( i am still not satisfied with my aquascape so i will be moving it around again lol.... and all the colonies of SPS are going away and will be replaced by frags all about 2" with the exception of my ORA blue tort, ORA blue formosa, and my tri color :) everything else is being sold now :) so without furth wait here are the pics...

the latest FTS dont really like it but i guess it works for now.

fts102407.jpg

some Zoanthids

DSC01717.jpg

one of the two dragons

DSC01716.jpg

my superman :)

superman.jpg

and my little ricordea farm :)

DSC01714.jpg

all comments welcome :) oh and if anyone has any suggestions on shooting good pics with a sony DSC-w55 please let me know bc these pics just dont do my tank any justice at all :(

current equipment(for everyone that would like to know):

-Water Flow: 2 Tunze 6055's on a controller

-Heat/Cooling:150w Ti heater/Daual clip on Fan

-Total Control: ReefKeeper II

-Skimmer: Deltec MCE300

-Lighting: Tek Light 24

-Chemicals: Dose ESV B-Ionic 2 part daily

So i have sold alot of frags from my mini colonies, and i am actually just going to end up with a few species of SPS, I ordered GARF bonsai frag, looking for purple monster, picking up German Green with blue polyp, a a few other more exotic SPS as well as zoanthids. pretty soon will upgrade to an MCE600 as the 300 is not cutting it for me either lol... i just cant seem to be satisfied with equipment, i am even going to be upgrading to an Aquatinics TX5 or i might just end up going with a retrofit 4 bulb setup with SLR reflectors, and put them under a canopy i am going to build with a friend of mine that just came to the world of nano's, then again he still has his 300+gallon frag system!(LUCKY!!!!) i dont know if he posted on here yet but he got himself a 30G finnex Mtank as well. Should be good times. will post new pics as soon as i get my buddies wify to take something worth showing lol.....

your tank is looking sweet Rich!! i just got my M-Tank today. i hope it looks half as good as yours when i set it up!

there you are dude!! thats my boy and when he is done setting his tank up i am sure it will be better than mine!!! hurry up foo! hahah

woot so today i got a i guess you could say frag pack!! here are my new kids ;)

GARF Bonsai

A. Turaki

A. Plana

A. Tenius

A. Roscoes(ORA)

A. Aussie Delicate(ORA)

A. German GWBP(ORA)

i have begun my collection of exotics! ;) still have a bunch of others i dont want any more but then again i am a pack rat lol...

Update on pipefish.....

Ok so so far the only pipefish that seems to be doing well in my system is the african bluestripe.... he can swim thru the water flow but usually just hangs around the rock work until chow time. the dragons just cant take the flow... my tank is much to small and the power of 2 tunze 6055's just get everywhere in the tank! so i have decided to get 2 female bluestripes and call it a day, total of 3 pipes all bluestripes, or rid myself of pipes all together and just get a helfrichi goby? and maybe another. not so sure what i would put in the tank as i would still be too worried about waterflow. Anyone know what kind of fish love the crazy ammount of flow in a 30g? thanks.

Wow....I'd say that is definitely quite the pack of exotics. Do you have any pictures yet or are they getting shipped to you?

Glad to hear that the one pipefish is doing great and it sounds like you've figured out which ones will do the best. They are such amazing fish.

thanks for the comment guys :) i alreadyd have the SPS they are currently acclimating in my tank in a ghetto frag rack i made for them as i dont want to bleach or kill anything just yet specially not for the price i paid!!! so maybe tomorrow i iwll star tto move them up a little. in about a week i am hoping to have them at the top of my tank maybe i will do it slower and have them at the top by 2weeks. the pipefish are easy to feed you just have to trick them! lol i fed tigger pods and articpods both from RN(reef nutrition) and they ate both live and frozen after they got a taste of the frozen they did not stop and ate just that after a while.

unfortunately the poor dragons came into my tank with some kind of irritant, like fish with ick they would rub againts the rocks until their nose started to look liek it was eaten by something? so they would no longer eat and ultimately starved poor lil fellas. the bluestripe however is very healthy eats and has colored up very nicely since i got it, he does nto like to swim much in the day and stays in the rock work the whole time but when the day light goes out(actinics still on) he comes out to swim about, specially when the two 6055's are off lmao!! too much flow ;)

i am still trying to figure out the white balance on this camera and it is the main reason you guys dont see much pics anymopre as i dont like to post pics that make my tank look bad! :( so until i can get this cam to take better pics i wont be posting much, hopefully i can figure it out and post up the pics of the new SPS!!!

so my homie, PL-reef came over with his fam(woot woot) and have i got a couple of pics for everyone!! they currently being shrinked and what not so hopefully tomorrow evening i will have them ready to post :) finally something decent to post!!!! haha

looks great! I had NC6 SPS tank and Oceanic 30 SPS tank. Boy do i miss those times in US. Anyways, Pipefish and sps don't mix well.... too much flow in the tank. But i guess if you can find a right balance then it would be good!

Also i was wondering, you are constantly tinkering with aquascaping, my sps HATED when i moved them like 0.1 inch.... Hope yours are much more "Flexible" Anyways fantastic tank!

yea i am only keeping a bluestripe now, i wanted to keep the flow pointed alil low.... so no more lol. No kidding!!! i moved my entired tank to its final spot and all my kids browned out :( and i got tired of trying to aquascape! so i left it the way it is now, not as great as my other aquascapes but it will have to do as i already expoxied pretty much all my pieces :( hopefully i will have like i said the proffesional pics today!! :) tanks for the input, its greatly appreciated :)

Alright just as promised! first off i would like to thank my good friend and his wife for comming over and taking pictures of my tank! thanks Mrs. PL-Reef!!!!!

Most Recent FTS all the corals at the bottom of the tank are no longer there as they were on their way out the very next day so ignore them ;)

FTS111107.jpg

Roscoes Acro

Roscoes.jpg

Green digi with orange polyps(recovering from being moved around so much!

Greendigiwithorangepolyps2.jpg

Green Slimer

greenslimer.jpg

Orange CAP

orangecap-1.jpg

German GWBP

GermanGWBP.jpg

Chips Acro

Chipsacro.jpg

Chesterfieldensis acro.

chesterfieldensis.jpg

Blue Tort

BlueTorttopdown.jpg

Ricordea Florida

Riccloseup.jpg

Topdown of rics

RicTopdown3.jpg

RicTopdown4.jpg

RicTopdown.jpg

Cool rics. I got a couple of rics also and do they do well if they grow and overlap each other? I have like 6-7 rics on rock rubble on my sand bed area.

Cant wait to add some SPS also.

i have not really had a problem as far as stinging, but not sure about their growth.... i alrady have too many so if they stay the same numbers i wont be disapointed lol....

Archived