Cultivated Reef

Finnex 30G SPS Dominated tank build!

erickrm

Coming along very good.

Can you post some pics of your Phosban Reactor running with the bag of Chemipure. I going to put one of those into be/c I have a bunch or rics and sps frags on top.

Thanks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea i can do that but the qual is gonna be crappy as i only have iphone cam lol.... just give me sometime, when i get out of work today i have alot of crap to do, but i will post it up.

Thanks alot. Im getting my Phosban Reactor today along with a maxi jet 400. Pics would be wonderful because I have no idea how to set it up.

I sit possible to run Chemipure with phosphate media in the same reactor?

Cheers and happy holidays.

How would I run it? Do I just run both Phoshate and Chemipure in the Sock bags they come in or do would I run the phosphate bag with out sock bag and Chemipure in the sock bag on top.

How would I run it? Do I just run both Phoshate and Chemipure in the Sock bags they come in or do would I run the phosphate bag with out sock bag and Chemipure in the sock bag on top.

I just dumped the rowasphos or what ever phosphate remover I was using at the time in and put the carbon on top. No need for a bag.

Dave

Hi sorry i did not get back any sooner, i just got really busy today and finally go to sit on my couch right now haha, i actually have mine running like you see it on that link. I run both of mine in bags just bc i dont want any of it making its way back into my tank somehow... it works out fine, you will just have to run lower flow through the reactor bc the phosban is not supposed to have too much flow going through it or it will actually become like powder and eventually be in your water column. Its not a pretty site :) dont ask me how i know haha.... many water changes later ;) haha. in any case sorry i could not take any pics of the reactor but it seems you have found what i would have posted anyways ahaha :)

-erickrm-

Thanks for the info. Thats all I needed to know. Im going to go with the medium inside the bags at slow water flow. I read the instrution on the phosphate and it say some thing similair about slow water flow or esle the medium will break down into powder. Thanks fot the heads up anyway.

:)

-erickrm-

Thanks for the info. Thats all I needed to know. Im going to go with the medium inside the bags at slow water flow. I read the instrution on the phosphate and it say some thing similair about slow water flow or esle the medium will break down into powder. Thanks fot the heads up anyway.

:)

I do not like media bags in reactors... The media needs to be packed evenly so you get even flow and none of the water cheats. Most reactors have a tube down the middle and it is hard to pack them around it evenly. Also media bags can plug up and impead flow through a reactor.

Dave.

shred is right, but if i really wanted to run media reactors in my tank i would i only run them that way bc i dont feel liek hanging to reactors on my tank lol... but the best way to do it is 1 reactor for each media.... in my 120cube i ran 1 for carbon and 1 for phosban. the carbon had over 300GPH flowing through it while the phosban had only like 105ish if that.... i see where you are coming from though shred. I guess it is more convenient for me this way.... since my system is not as big and my water params are for the most part good i guess i dont worry much about the carbon and phosban runing in my reactor lol... i actually run a chemi pure elite? in one bag whihc has phosban in it already i am wondering how bad of an idea it would be remove it from the bag hahah.... particle are probably really really really fine though so i probably shoudl not besides that it says it right on the container lol.... but i dont remember if it said it for a media reactor as well.

Update:

Ok so a few changes are in the making, to include flow, and skimming :). First off i sold my skimmer and am now going with an MCE600 vs the 300 and the temp tunze9002 that if i may add does actually skim! I just like to know that the skimmer is def keeping up with my feeding habits!!! lol. My new skimmer is on its way(well not brand new but new to me ;))Next thing is going to be the flow....

After much reading about flow i have decided that i want to change my flow pattern. I currently run 1 Tunze6055 with the help of the return pump as well. so a total of about 1800-1900gph... thats over 70X per hr in turn over!!! keep in mind that i am only measuring the water that is in the main display which is only at most 23G prob 20G the sump i am not counting :) It works great dont get me wrong but the flow is only from the left side of the tank. I want to have alternating flow from left to right side of the tank!

What am i going to do? I am going to be adding an Oceans Motions Super Squirt to the mix :) with a little Giant pump 3MDQX-SC so at about 3 feet the pump will be running around 1000gph. This should give me a decent amount of flow that will alternate from left to right or rear left and front right at the same time to front left to rear right at the same time....

I am still planning this project so if you have any suggestions i wold greatly appreciate them :) starting with where i can get the mesh strainer a lot of people use for the closed loop intake. I want to make the intake as gentle as possible as i dont want to wake up one day to find that my fish is stuck on the intake of my closed loop haha. Specially not my bluestripe pipe! as he he has been with me for a while and i now have him eating frozen mysis like a pig!!!!thanks again and i will deff post some pics for everyone :)

Edit: oh yea and i will be removing my phosban reactor since the MCE600 has enough space to place my chemi-pure bag in the output section of the skimmer :)

next question lol, I am looking for a fuge light that is not too big... right now i am using a coralife light that is a dual 18W i believe. I have seen some one that posted a while back that they had a submersible light for their fuge in a Biocube8 since it was very limited with space. With my new Closed loop, skimmer, and soon calcium reactor(that will be MRC 3.5 HOT), so my space is def limited!!! a light that produced the least heat possible will be best. I am also willing to just hang it off the tank and shine the light throught the glass, but i never did this with my coralife bc i have been affraid of the heat it produces.... i dont want the glass to crack lol... thanks

Got my new skimmer yesterday and let me say that i deff missed the performance of deltec!!! going from an APF600 to a tunze nano skimmer(which is not bad, but its no deltec!) to an MCE300, back to a tunze 9002(lol) and finally to an MCE600 i now remember what a skimmer is supposed to suck out!!!! :) its only be 1 day and so far the skimmer has taken out more gunk than the mce300 took out in a week!!!! good times!! we shal see how it does after it is fully broken in :) lol i have not even dialed the valve down yet so i cant wait to fine tune the bad boy :) will post pics soon :)

Well I am going to be a father again, and I am taking a break from the tank.... i'm keeping my corals, skimmer, and Closed loop for when i set a tank back up.... about 6mos.... thanks for all the great comments everyone and i will see you all soon :)

• 7 months later...

well looks like i am getting back in the game.... but not as soon as i would like. I promised the woman, i wold not buy any reef stuff until after xmas.... maybe i can ask for some xmas gifts ;) hahah, I have the old finnex, tx5, and tunze 9002 waiting to be setup but i am hesistant as i am building my own acrylic tanks now.... but i love the finex lol.... not sure what i want to do here.... all my fav corals are gone :( and my rics are sitting in my dads tank melting away not sure why? he has his rics from the same order and his are growing like mad!! anyways, maybe i will setup the finnex again maybe i will just sell it and build a 24X24X12" shallow cube, still thinking about it :) hope you guys have been keeping up with yours finnex tanks ? and hope they are looking better!!

Archived