Innovative Marine Aquariums

Finnex 30G SPS Dominated tank build!

erickrm

Ladies and Gents, i am proud to join the group of nano reefers, i was once a big dawg you can say lol... with my 120G Starphire cube and reactors and Deltec skimmer and all those big toys, but ever since i bought my new house i have not had much room there being that the place is a two familly and i am trying to build some equity i dont have too much room for play here so in mist of it all i have decided that i need to down grade but not in a bad way. I have been researching the AIO tanks for a while now and in the end it came down to CAD or FINNEX both very fine and well built tanks but what sold me to fennix was the fact that it was a cube although part of it is used up by the sump/fuge no matter i was looking for constant water level in the back and the finnex provided that for me so that my skimmer would not get finicky! I am in the process of breaking down my last tank 75G with tons of SPS and so all of the SPS or well what ever i can fit will end up in the cube so right off the bat my tank will be pretty much stocked!

My plans.....

Stocking:

To stock the tank with only SPS with the exception of some LPS(Acans and such...). I want to buy a Pair of Bluestripe pipes, a 3-4 school of chromis, and a geometric pygmy Hawkfish.

Equipment:

Skimmer: Deltec MCE300 working on getting an MCE600

WaterFlow:Tunze 6055 with controller(had 2 6055's but found it to be way too much flow, with 1 i get tons of PE)

Filtration: Chemi-Pure bag inside a TLF Phosban RX

Light: Aquactinics TX5 T-5 Setup with single ICECAP Reflectors

Control: Aqua Controller Jr.

Ca. RX: working on getting an MRC 3.5HOT

I have done alot of equipment changing since i started this thread so i figured i would just rearrange the first post lol. There are tons of new pics HERE Hope everyone enjoys :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well these little guys wont be going in until after the tank is up and running correctly so if i have i will bring the flow down no big deal... maybe just 1 6055 on a controller, with the rest of the flow coming from the return line that should still give me a decent amount of flow for the sps. Thanks.

Holy moly!!! :eek: That sounds like it's going to be an awesome setup, especially with the TEK 24 light fixture inplace of the standard Finnex one. I should be receiving my Finnex fan very soon, and once I do I'll let you all know how it works out for me. I plan to install it reversed though as to where the fan blows over the return chamber rather than the main display area of the tank. That's how my current Aqua-Tek fan I'm using is positioned to direct the air flow at.

I've considered the Finnex heaters with digital control, but since my 100w Hydor Theo works well for me for now, I won't bother till I need one. Of course if the Theo ever fails on me, I might never know anyways since it's hooked up to my ACjr controller. ;)

Can't wait to see pics of the finished product, as well as hear when you get the tank delivered.

alright so i have been trying to sell my deltec skimmer but seems no one wants it lol... so what am i going to do? i am going keep it, now quick question how many of you think that my APF600 rated for 270G will be overkill for my Finnex!!!!!! lmao! hahahahahahah it probably wont even skim hahaha

Wow....sounds like this is going to be a killer setup for sure. Looking forward to seeing this come along as it sounds like it is incredibly well thought out down to the last detail. Great planning and looking forward to pics on Friday.

well i have been told both, that the pipe will leave the sps alone and then that the it will be a hassel i figuer, i will start with the smaller pipes(blue stripe) and wait a while if they do good then i will continue from there, worst comes to worst i will buy a couple of smaller fish, ie. Blue stripe goby, gold stripe goby little guys like that :)

alright everyone i have pretty much everything now, just waiting on my ReefKeeper II pending a couple of things from the seller.... so i am going to get things started since i dont really need it :) here is a full shot of all the toys....

DSC03388.jpg

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03391.jpg

DSC03395.jpg

DSC03393.jpg

DSC03392.jpg

Stay tuned for more..........

thanks bro.... i am looking forward to transferring down my 75G SPS tank... well whatever i can fit anyways lol.... i should have more pictures to post on Sunday night :)

the fan actually feels pretty solid! it does not feel flimsy or cheap kind of plastic feel.... im impressed.... i might start transferring stuff over tomorrow ;)

You have some good components there and it looks like you are off to a good start. I agree with the comments above and don't think pipefish and SPS go together. Perhaps pipefish and ricordia is a better match. You also want to be careful of any small gobies that will perch in and bother your SPS. Clown gobies can really irritate some SPS corals.

I skimmed the thread quickly so I'm not sure you mentioned whether you will utilize a sump or not. I would utilize a large sump on this, actually bigger than the display if possible for stability which you SPS will appreciate. Maybe you could even house your pipefish in a section of the sump.

Good luck with your system and I look forward to more updates as you progress.

Thanks for point out the sps/pipe thing, i have been reading that alot of peopel are keeping their pipefish with their sps with great success me being one of them ;) or use to be anyways... :( my pipe fish decided to take a swim in the sump :( and then well tried to get 1on1 with my return pump.... :( but i appreciate the heads up.

haha i moved it there bc my girls bday was today and well needed to make a little room for friends that came over :)

Sure is Ikea ;) love that place!!

i don't know i thought mine was going to be trim less but guess not :( oh well still great tank.... i have all the equipment where it is going. Now i just have to fill it with water :) starboard is in place and everything looks good :)

Tank has now been filled and stuffed with all my corals :) i dont have hardly any room left in the tank! i need to find a way to move my corals around, and looks like i will have to use epoxy to better situate the corals where i want them.... i will take pictuers a little later today, as i am tired right now and have a long day tomorrow haha. Stay tuned for some pics :)....

alright everyone here is another update... i cant seem to figure out the damn camera so bare with me on these pics.... enjoy,

DSC03532.jpg

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03536.jpg

DSC03537.jpg

thats all i have for now, at least til i figuer out the damn camera lol....

comments welcome!!!

edit 2 more... again sorry for crappy quality :(

DSC03512.jpg

DSC03511.jpg

god that is nice!!!!

i've always loved SPS, but i have never been able to keep them.......

i don't know what could be wrong, so i've pretty much given up on them. :angry:

Archived