Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Finnex 30G SPS Dominated tank build!

erickrm

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the concern :) I run a bag of chemipure in a phosban reactor to collect all the yukies they release and the SPS above the rics are all epoxied on for added safety ;) I just finished hooking up my new light and got a school of chromis to poo in my tank :) makemy corals a little more happy I post pics soon

Thanks and I will def keep you all updated.

LOL I only bought 3 bc of that same reason!! I already spotted the weakest link its chillen in a corner by itself hopefully it will join up the other two. I am wondering if I could get another two but diff species I really want called venderbilt chromis. Thanks for the heads upIn total I used 3 bottles of tigger pods to seedmy tank, now they show up all over my front glass when I dont clean it. I use artic pods to feed the dragons I had but now the blue stripe being alone can sustain himself on the population of Copepods that are all over the tank.

here are the pictures for the new fixture :)

Reflectors.jpg

Reflectors2.jpg

fixturedone.jpg

actinicson.jpg

daylightson.jpg

alllightson.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics yet again lol.... i was using my iphone and the camera sux :( so far so good!! it is def sitting higher than my old one but it is def a lot more intense! SLR's and 5 bulbs vs 4 bulbs and SLS is a big difference!!

Love the new fixture you got. I had the 48inch 5 bulb T5 Aquatinics fixture on my 55 and it was sweet. Even though I don't have the 55 any longer, I still kept the fixture :)

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the new fish and the tank with the new lights.

if i can get a hold of a decent cam i will take some new pics. But the fish are just 3 green chromis not much to look at and the hawk fish is just abrely becoming bold enough to come out of hiding lol.... I am hoping it eats soon :( thanks for the comment :)

just as i suspected! the weakest link has passed on lol... i cant find the lil guy!! even in a small tank like this!!! lol.... i cant believe its lost. I really dont want to move all my rock work again just for this fish, but i am affraid i will get nasty ammonia spike DOH!! So i will do a water change later today and see if i can move a lil bit of my rock work around maybe i can find it lol...

on another note, most of the SPS i epoxied to the rock work is already starting to encrust the epoxy!!!! although my light has bleached out and browned out some of my corals(rics/sps) they are starting to make a come back and the PE is alot better, although i believe this to be due to the fact that i removed 1 tunze 6055 lol.... all the SPS were being blasted maybe a lil too much!? in any case i still have well over 60X turn over rate in the tank :) I just have to find the perfect position for the pump. I also added a hydor flow to the return line ;) i figured if some is being directed to the fuge then i am probably around 300 and something at the return ;) has not clogged or broken "YET!" hahah

• 3 weeks later...

Xmas time has me at a crunch right now, i actually downgraded to an Tunze9002 skimmer have yet to install it, and sold my MCE300.... soon as all the festivaties are over i will be trying to buy an MCE600 :) other than that... my GARF bonsai is finally starting to turn purple, after i had a massive alk spike. about 15 for my ALK! all my SPS browned and started to STN... has since stopped and they are starting to re encrust the affected areas and color up.

i did get a Coris wrasse and although i feared it would jump out bc of my starboard it is actually doing really well in my tank, enjoy's eating my flatworms lol... and swims around all day long, sleeps inside the rockwork, unless it magically melts the starboard at nite. hmmm what else??? oh and i should be getting my new bulbs for my fixture soon.

Hey Erick, your tank looks great.

I saw from your ticker and first tank pictures that you set your tank up around Aug 31 and had it fully stocked by the sept. 3rd. how were you able to get around the nitrogen cycle?

Am I missing something?

lol sorry if there is any confusion ;) being that all my tanks are BB my tank was just downgraded from 110G Cube :) so i added my starboard and added my water, and i was done :) instant mini reef :) i did not see any cylce. I did however recently added a remote DSB in my fuge, so my display is BB to keep all the nasties suspended and then the RDSB takes care of the excess nutrients my skimmer does not suck up :) I love this tank.

thanks guys :)

lol yea i added magic reef dust! it now gives my tank an impression of being 1 year and 3 months old ;) haha....

I will post pics of all the SPS again soon... i just dont want to take pics of my SPS all browned :( they are like i said coming back in color :) so when they are back to norm more pics for you guys :)

na dont get me wrong its a great skimmer! but, i will take 300 of air suction vs 150 any day ;) MCE600 cant seem to find any skimmer that is better with the same performance.

Archived