Coral Vue Hydros

Tudizzle's BC29

TUDIZZLE

Guess it looks like he grabbed a few of the ceriths as well...found them off to the side right in a pile with his old shell. Looks like the fuge will be getting a new Blue Hermit!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hermit is in the fuge!

My new rics are puffing up nicely. One that was rolled up pretty tight has opened and was really 2 rics!!! So the deal just keeps getting better. 8 rics for the price of five...and now most are almost 1.5-2 inches across. Grab a pic later and post it up.

I am getting a bunch of frags pilling up...............any local colorado springs reefers following? Up for some trades?

Fishhead Junkie

I've only got 3 pieces of ricordia...my green piece has been around for almost the entire life of my tank(1.5 years), never really got much bigger than when I got it. The orange piece divided into 2 pieces within a week or so and they pretty much have stayed the same size since then.

What's the secret to getting them to grow? What do you add or feed them, what kind of light? They are definitely one of the easier corals to keep and raise. Especially when they plump up and start to wave in the water, just like yours. I wouldn't mind a few new pieces myself.

Sweet pics though, how bout you throw a few pieces into a bag and mail them my way for free??

Steve

I guess you just ignore them, casue thats about all I do!

PC lights with med-low flow and reg water changes...

keeping the rics but have some zoas, hammer and yellow polyps that could go.

Just bought a new orange plate coral...opened up after a few minutes in the tank! pics coming...

cam not cooperating but here is a quick vid of my new plate coral

th_platecoral.jpg

about 2+ inches across....already got it to eat a healthy mouthful of mysis. It is this real peachy orange color...score!

Fishhead Junkie

Nice looking plate. I should have snatched up an orange plate back when my LFS was having a big sale...they were only $15, everywhere else sells them for $40 on up. I just have a plain old green one but it's still fun to watch.

Steve

What a great video. I enjoyed watching your tank and seeing everything so healthy and happy. I was in a trance just watching.

Darn - I wish my lights were still on my tank. I sometimes forget to just set back and enjoy it. Thanks for reminding me to do that...

Your tank looks great btw!

What a great video. I enjoyed watching your tank and seeing everything so healthy and happy. I was in a trance just watching.

Darn - I wish my lights were still on my tank. I sometimes forget to just set back and enjoy it. Thanks for reminding me to do that...

Your tank looks great btw!

thanks....Its funny how you can't go a day without sticking your hand in the tank to move something or adjust something. It nice as they mature to be able to just sit back and enjoy the spoils. I have actually gone a couple of months without even putting my hand in it.....

And then I got that plate and I wanted to move just one thing.....let the rearranging begin!

I moved a few things around and actually moved my brain for the first time in a long while. I know why they call it a meat/doughtnut coral. When inflated it totally feels like a slab of meat. Amazing it can have that sense of density when its just really a membrane full with water.

Just a little moving around so the plate could get into a spot with a little less flow. It has been grubb'n like crazy and seems to really enjoy silversides. It is really cool how quickly it can move food from its outter edge into its central oral cavity. The mouth opens up and then it gulps it all down. I never really knew how much I was going to like this new purchase!

The new rics continue to impress me as they get bigger and bigger, already outgrowing the rock I had mounted them on. I need to get some more LR so I can have a nice piece of base to mount all the rics on. I want to have the right side of the tank spilling down from the rockwork with rics.

Pics when everything settles....

ok so that little bastich of a crab that I got as a freebie had to go..

watching last night and he reaches down out of the rock work and snatches a huge nassarius snail off the sand. He dragged it halfway up the rock work in like half a second and then went to town trying to make a meal. The snail somehow got free and disappeared into the sand.

At first I was all "sweet that was cool, who cares about a snail here and there"

well I woke up this morining and my Toadstool had little nips all around the edge. It actually only took a few seconds to catch. :ninja: I used a long chopstick and batted it off the top of the rock and then pinned it against the glass. I slid it along the glass to the surface with the stick then used a glass to lift it out. When I pushed down on the glass the rush of water actually sucked the crab right into the cup. physics is cool....

Into the fuge with it!

Fishhead Junkie

What kind of crab was it again? Sounds like you made the right decision, nothing worse than something other than water quality hurting your corals...its enough work making sure that's in order without having to worry about killer crabs.

Steve

here is a pic...

HPIM3422.jpg

he did ok for a few weeks. I got him as a freebie with an emerald crab that I wanted.

Hopefully he will stay in the fuge or else its off to the porcelain tank in the bathroom B)

The blue legged hermit I put in the fuge climbs back into the display every other day or so

that crab looks freaky! sorry about your toadstool, does it look ok?

i use the cup method all the time, works like a charm!!

Fishhead Junkie
that crab looks freaky!

You are right about that...looks like a cross between sally, a emerald, and a porcelan crab. Would of been a nice addition if it hadn't been so aggressive. Visitors at my house always get a kick out of the crabs, especially the sally's...the quickness of their movements, always scurrying from place to place, and every so often jumping out at a fish without ever really hurting anything, because then there would be a problem.

Good luck keeping him in the fuge, how does the hermit make its way up the side of your fuge? Is he clinging to some kind of silicone bead in the corners or something, otherwise I'd think it would be too smooth.

Steve

never could get a positve ID on the crab?

The hermit must be climbing up the silicone bead, and he's getting better! I think if he wanted to he could just climb out whenever he wanted to. He made need to go back to the LFS and become another stat in the blue legged hermit gone bad column.

That frog spawn (i think.. the one on the left) is crazy huge! :o I can't believe the coverage it gets!

I know I have had to put rocks by it to tame it back!

Got some new pics after moving things around last time

New plate is looking happy as ever

zhappyplate.jpg

Rics are puffing and expanding more every day

znewrics.jpg

znewrics1.jpg

znewrics2.jpg

znewrics3.jpg

My first Ric...split once and now both are well over 4" across

zbigric.jpg

zoa zen

znewzoas1.jpg

jumpers...I guess a sign that things are growing

zjumper.jpg

zjumper1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for checking in and the nice compliments everyone!

Guess I need to get some bigger shells for one of my hermits. Came home the other day and it was cruising around without a shell :o He had piled up all of his options in one corner and was taking them for a test spin. Funny how tough that blue legged was in a shell, but what a weakling once his armor is off!

Archived