Top Shelf Aquatics

My first SW, 40 gallons! PICS!

Ronin3310

Thanks for the nice comments!

My frogspawn i think is dead :(

But every thing else seems to be doing fine my torch is still kinda senstive to the MH lighting but he is doing beter!

My barnacle blenny is doing great too, he has picked his home rock now and comes out every now and then and just sits in the open looking around, durning feeding time this little guy is so active it is ridiculous darting around the tank like the meal is his last!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i picked up a new piece of coral yesterday, i placed it at on the top half of my aquarium. I am going to the LFS today because they are getting a new shipment in today and i want to pick up some new fish maybe a pair of true percs if they have some!

Well i finally got my clown fish, they are false percs. but when i wok eup this morning i found one of them dead and being eating by my emerald crab, one of my hermits was chasing it around when i first put them in so i am getting rid of them after work as well as the emerald if i can find him! The one that died seemed alittle weird when i brought him home, he wasn't really swimming to much in the bag like the other one was, the other oneis fine and has begun to host my torch coral ( Torch is kinda aggrevated by it!), but anyways once i saw my fish dead at 6:30 in the morning i new i wasn't going to be able to sleep so i got up threw some cloths on and drove to my LFS, they gave me a nice big new one with great color! I also picked up another torch coral along with it, it has such nice color, transperent tenticals(polyps) with bright green tips. But my other clown was put into the tank and went straight to my trumpet coral and started hosting it rubbing all over it :P

I will post pics soon!

well the new clown fish died i think the little one was picking on him to much! So i have decided just to keep the one by him self (question: If there is no mated pair, which gender will the single clown be?) I also avoid to say this before but when i got my clowns i also picked up a Hippo Tang, he is a baby maybe about 2 inchs or less in size, i would appreaciate it if no one flammed me i realize they need a bigger tank when they are older which is in about 3-4 years, he is doing great and is eating like a pig.

Pics will be up tonight!

No flame,

BUT

it will not be 3 - 4 years before you have to get rid of the hippo. I have one in my 75, BUT he will have a new home by next year. It is only about 2 inches right now. But if fed correctly they do grow pretty good. If I dont get my house by the time I think mine needs to get out of that tank. I have a buyer already that is going to save a spot in his 180.

No flame,

BUT

it will not be 3 - 4 years before you have to get rid of the hippo. I have one in my 75, BUT he will have a new home by next year. It is only about 2 inches right now. But if fed correctly they do grow pretty good. If I dont get my house by the time I think mine needs to get out of that tank. I have a buyer already that is going to save a spot in his 180.

I guess it really depends on the fish (sorry mine is only about 1 inch :happy: just found a ruler) i have seen one that has been in a tank for a 1 1/2 years and it is only about 1 1/2 inchs. If he gets to big i know a perfect home for him! but if he stays small for awhile, later i will upgrade my tank for the little guy :D

Thanks for not being mean about it! :lol:

Updated pics: I have added a skunk cleaner shrimp also (no pic) I need some more coral my tank looks really akward right now -_-

Mushrooms

mushrooms.jpg

Open torch

torchopen.jpg

Hosted torch

torchhost2.jpg

Hosted trumpets

trumpethost.jpg

My other torch

smalltorch.jpg

Hippo tang (Birdie)

birdie2.jpg

My favorite hermit crab, he has holes in his shell and he can't figure out which one is which sometimes :P

clunker.jpg

My first SPS, blaeched a little because he was to high in the tank but has started to heal!

sps.jpg

Little frag of star polyps

starpolyps.jpg

FTS

fts.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments, yeah i did have a frogspawn but he melted under my MH, it was so angry at myself for putting under the lighting to quickly.

I have been looking for a good hammer but i haven't found anything that i like yet, i may try looking on the internet for one as well as a frogspawn.

Anybody know any good websites?

That sucks :( I haven't ordered anything offline yet... I would be too scared that they would get damaged especially a Euphyllia! I don't even feel safe driving them home in a bag their tissue looks so delicate. Try a local reef club, thats where I have been getting a lot of corals!

Mitch

That sucks :( I haven't ordered anything offline yet... I would be too scared that they would get damaged especially a Euphyllia! I don't even feel safe driving them home in a bag their tissue looks so delicate. Try a local reef club, thats where I have been getting a lot of corals!

Mitch

Yeah i know what you mean i drive so cautiously when i have any live stock in my car, the nearest reef club to me is like 2 hours way so it is kinda hard.

Question: Is Anctic (blue light) better then white light? In the morning for my coral, because my torch gets really angry when my MH turn on.

Yeah i know what you mean i drive so cautiously when i have any live stock in my car, the nearest reef club to me is like 2 hours way so it is kinda hard.

Question: Is Anctic (blue light) better then white light? In the morning for my coral, because my torch gets really angry when my MH turn on.

I don't know if its better for them than white light, but it probably wont be quite as angry with you if it has some gradual light for an hour our so before it gets blasted with the MH.

Lookin good Ronin. I worked at picture perfect for a day and I remember joe's juicing so many of those Majano anemone in the main display reef tank. anyways keep up the good work man.

Lookin good Ronin. I worked at picture perfect for a day and I remember joe's juicing so many of those Majano anemone in the main display reef tank. anyways keep up the good work man.

Yeah there are still quiet a few of those majano's in that tank but that tank looks really nice with all the coral, Have you seen there new coral tank in the back? They got a Green Ricordia back there (not sure if it is a yuma or flordia) but it is awsome i was thinking about getting it but it is like 60 bucks

I am having some problems with my heater(s) just bought a stealth because i couldn't get my damn jager going, but low and behold the stealh is not heating either a did exactly like the instructions said 1) place heater in aquarium 2) Turn dial to desired temp. 3) plug in outlet

Those are the instruction that is exactly what i did and when i woke up in the morning the temp was at 74 F when i had the heater set to 79 F (also something weird happened when i unpluged and removed the stealth It started to heat up!!!!!! WTF i checked it again to see if i forgot to unplug it but nope it was unplugged i am so confused by these damn heaters, why can't they just make them simple with out the damn calibration and waiting game or at least explain how to calibrate it in the directions!

how many watts is the stealth? stealth is a good heater, i have a 200w in my 30 keeps it nice and toasty at night even now when my ac is on full blast....

how many watts is the stealth? stealth is a good heater, i have a 200w in my 30 keeps it nice and toasty at night even now when my ac is on full blast....

Yeah i have a 200W also i am trying to calibriate my stealth, setting the temp to what my thermostat reads and let it sit for about 15-20 mins and then see where my temp is at if it doesn't work i am going to try the same with my jager

Yeah and i hope no one does! i don't feel like dealing with it, if they flame me i will just report and block them ;) He is small anyways, and he loves the tank vey active and isnot shy!

Well i think i solved my heater problem (i hope!), it took me some time but i looked at alot of forums trying to find any clue on how to get my jager running and i found one and finally got it working! it stayed 76-77F all night long not 73 like it used to be! :lol:

Well just picked up a RBTA and i love it! It is doing freat so far, looks like it is getting ready to split too so i can sell the other one! Anyways the clown started hosting before i even put it down and when i moved it he bit me repeatedly! Here are some pics, sorry they aren't the best i didn't want to turn on the MH yet i will take those in a few days

Oh yeah and a movie of the clown hosting the BTA

CIMG0435.jpg

CIMG0436.jpg

CIMG0433.jpg

Link for the movie!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCXK8ZCdeg

Well just picked up a RBTA and i love it! It is doing freat so far, looks like it is getting ready to split too so i can sell the other one! Anyways the clown started hosting before i even put it down and when i moved it he bit me repeatedly! Here are some pics, sorry they aren't the best i didn't want to turn on the MH yet i will take those in a few days

Oh yeah and a movie of the clown hosting the BTA

CIMG0435.jpg

CIMG0436.jpg

CIMG0433.jpg

Link for the movie!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCXK8ZCdeg

So that BTA is working out for ya huh? Tank is looking good man.

So that BTA is working out for ya huh? Tank is looking good man.

Yeah he was all happy when i turned the light on and then he shriveld up and his mouth is way open! But i think he is just expelling waste because i see a little string of crap coming from his mouth

More pics of BTA with lights on:

CIMG0448.jpg

CIMG0456.jpg

Well my RBTA is fine he was just taking a crap! He has percked up and is starting to move, i think he may be going to the back of the tank near one of my shrooms :scarry: Maybe the shrooms will sense him and move.

Archived