ReefCleaners.org

My first SW, 40 gallons! PICS!

Ronin3310

I found out what was wrong with my heater, see the first tank that i had (20 gal truvu) had a leak, i kept except the tank and pump. I never even thought about the amount of watts of the heater it was 75W i took it to my LFS and she said that i needed the 150W, at first she said you can just pay the difference of the two but then she just put it in my hands and said take it! She is so nice, i told her that i would pay her back by buying all of my fish and coral from her!

Anyways i am having a diatom outbreak, is 10 snails enough for my 40 gal to take care of the problem, it is pretty bad, stupid Longs DI water!

Suggestions please??????

i have 12 or so in each of my tanks, id say get some more. and ya ur better off with the 150 watt heater i use a 200 watt stealth heater in my 30 and its perfect...its also what i used for my 42 gallon when i had it up and it was great for that too. get at least 10 more snails people usually get more. 20 sounds good though.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have 12 or so in each of my tanks, id say get some more. and ya ur better off with the 150 watt heater i use a 200 watt stealth heater in my 30 and its perfect...its also what i used for my 42 gallon when i had it up and it was great for that too. get at least 10 more snails people usually get more. 20 sounds good though.

Thanks for the advice should i also get some scarlet hermets as well, i was told they aren't as agressive as blue hermies are for shells i really don't want to loose my snails!

Thanks for the advice should i also get some scarlet hermets as well, i was told they aren't as agressive as blue hermies are for shells i really don't want to loose my snails!

ya i hate all hermits, but i guess scarlets arent bad i never had em though. but ur right about the blue legged....i made the mistake of getting them for my 22 and they wiped out most of my snails and jacked there shells. they didnt kill the snails....i have about 8 shell-less nassarius's in my tank right now. i dont think hermits are neccessary and if i were you id just stay with the snails....just my opinion

ya i hate all hermits, but i guess scarlets arent bad i never had em though. but ur right about the blue legged....i made the mistake of getting them for my 22 and they wiped out most of my snails and jacked there shells. they didnt kill the snails....i have about 8 shell-less nassarius's in my tank right now. i dont think hermits are neccessary and if i were you id just stay with the snails....just my opinion

OMG they are shell less! That is so funny in a sad way. Maybe i won't get hermits, i am going to get some more snails i think though, do you know of any that eat fish waste so that my ammonia does go through the roof! Or maybe i will get a sea hair, and a queen conch, what do you think?

OMG they are shell less! That is so funny in a sad way. Maybe i won't get hermits, i am going to get some more snails i think though, do you know of any that eat fish waste so that my ammonia does go through the roof! Or maybe i will get a sea hair, and a queen conch, what do you think?

honestly i think just snails will be fine...and your skimmer and established tank will take care of the waste. maybe a conch but i dont know. how are your parameters now?

honestly i think just snails will be fine...and your skimmer and established tank will take care of the waste. maybe a conch but i dont know. how are your parameters now?

I don't know right now, i am not at my house, i will going back tomorrow to check.

i did check my alk which was normal, and my pH 8.2, and my Ca is at 500 it was a 550 the very first time a checked a week ago but it has lowered so it should be down to 450 by next week. As for the other stuff i havent tested in awhile, i will post it when i get a chance to do so.

I wonder if your snails will grow new shells but don't think they really need them, aren't they just for protection anyways? As long as you don't have any puffers i think you are ok!

Here is some pics of my diatom problem, i guess i just sit back for the ride!

growing on the sand bed, shouldi get a conch to sift through the sad?

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

Some on the rocks

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

My snails are doing the best they can, they are slw though! :P

Yeah they do work at a snails pace. :haha: Try some Nassirius snails for the sand bed. they live under there until they smell you feeding the food then they are like the night of the living dead creatures coming up out of the sand. Cool to watch. I always feed my tank when someone new is looking so they can see it.

Yeah they do work at a snails pace. :haha: Try some Nassirius snails for the sand bed. they live under there until they smell you feeding the food then they are like the night of the living dead creatures coming up out of the sand. Cool to watch. I always feed my tank when someone new is looking so they can see it.

Will they take care of the diatoms on the sand bed? Also i read that it is bad sometimes if they mess with the sand bed it releases bad things???

Just added some hermit crabs, hope they don't take my snails shells, I also got some shells for them. Once i got home i was looking at the empty shells while my crabs were being acclimated, and i noticed there was something on one of the shells! It was a fighting conch!!! I am going to leave my lights off for about 2 days to allow the snails and crabs to take care of the algae at the same time i have cut back the amount of food i am feeding my chromis. I will post some pictures soon when i get a chance.

so you got the hermits anyways i see....what kind? i guess theyre ok for now but when u start gettin coral and stuff youre gonna hate them.

well is they get out of control i will get rid of them if they kill things, they are zebra reef hermits

two tangs in a 40 gallon???

oh my head hurts just thinking, thank goodness this isn't RC or they would have sent you hate mail for thinking it.

two tangs in a 40 gallon???

oh my head hurts just thinking, thank goodness this isn't RC or they would have sent you hate mail for thinking it.

:D i know it was just a list i am not planning on putting everything in my tank that is on that list, i have already had some people get all mad because of it :P, people are so serious on here sometimes! If i do put a tang in it will be the hippo tang, not saying that i will but if i happens that would be my choice oh yeah and i scratch the angel because i learned that they may hurt my coral, as for the urchins i still thinking if i want to risk them i still have a while till i put anything like that into my tank. As for RC bring it on :angry: jk i wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on those fish if they are just going to die, not fair to them either.

now if you want something that is unique and will make people jealous if they know their sw stuff

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...Id=171&cc=1

Check that out

I also like this one

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=2259&cc=1

Yeah i know what you mean i really like the purple firefish they are beautiful but on the other hand are very shy and skitish and hide when ever someone comes toward the tank, but that is just what i have read, and heard, nice choice! Do you have a reef aquarium?

just restarted one up, i had a 16 gallon bow abuot 4 years ago.

You can find my 58 gallons of joy in the large tank forum

I'll tell you how it goes this weekend with the two firefish but from seeing them at hte pet store they don't seem that shy

just restarted one up, i had a 16 gallon bow abuot 4 years ago.

You can find my 58 gallons of joy in the large tank forum

I'll tell you how it goes this weekend with the two firefish but from seeing them at hte pet store they don't seem that shy

Yeah let me know how the fish ac in your aquarium i would love to get one of theose firefish

My joe's juice arrived today to take care of the majano in my tank. There are also tons of these clear anemones with pinkish/orange tips, i don't think it is an aipistia, i will try to get a picture of of one of the like 15 i found and juiced, it may be awhile because i have to find a good camera that will stay focused at such a close zoom.

If anybody can tell by the description what it is please let me know!

Thanks

I love your tank. Just keep reading and asking questions that is how we all learn. Have you checked out some of the threads on reef safe fish or check out the information forum. Any way good luck with your tank. This is a great site lots of nice people and keep those pictures coming.

I love your tank. Just keep reading and asking questions that is how we all learn. Have you checked out some of the threads on reef safe fish or check out the information forum. Any way good luck with your tank. This is a great site lots of nice people and keep those pictures coming.

Thanks for the nice comment, and for the luck! I may need it! :P

I will be posting more pics within this week!

Well, just wanted to update on my water parameters:

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10-15

specific gravity 1.023

I added some that really stringy green alage ( don't remember the name start with a "C") to my filter chamber.

I am thinking about getting some new fish perhaps a clown or two not sure though i may wait until i get back from hawaii before i do that.

I will be posting pics of my Tank tonight so stay tunned!

sweet almost ready

ill be waitin for the pics

Bad News!!!!

My camera has been destroyed!!! :(

I hope the card is still working! If it does work i will be posting pics tonight

I will try to get ahold of another camera so i can cont. to take some more pics!

Sorry about the pics, i was going to post them last night but my computer was being lame! I will try again tonight.

I was wondering when i do get my percula clowns what would be a good anemone for them host???

I am looking around at them and the ones they are said to host are huge some reaching sizes of 20 inchs!!!!!!!

I really don't want it to get that big because i don't want it to sting my corals!!!

Archived