Pod Your Reef

My first SW, 40 gallons! PICS!

Ronin3310

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look for clowns already hosting in some other type or coral. Then buy them and the coral.

Just a suggestion.

So you don't recommend getting an anemone?

I guess that would elminate the hassle if they will just host a coral. And I don't hav to worry about the anemone crawling around the tank stinging things as it does!

Thanks!

Yes I have seen clowns in stores hosting in torch, frogspawn, leathers. if you are a regular to this type of site with threads you know the problems, requirements of keeping any type of anemone. If you are looking to keep a mixed reef with different types of coral I suggest the above for finding clown(s) and coral already matched in the store.

Yes I have seen clowns in stores hosting in torch, frogspawn, leathers. if you are a regular to this type of site with threads you know the problems, requirements of keeping any type of anemone. If you are looking to keep a mixed reef with different types of coral I suggest the above for finding clown(s) and coral already matched in the store.

Cool thanks! Yeah maybe i will just stay away from an anemone! Or if i do get one it may just be a BT!

Does anybody know how many fish can be kept in a 40 gal. I have heard different theories:

1) one inch of fish for one gallon

2) 3 inchs of fish to one sq foot of surface area

:huh: Does anybody else have any suggestions???

Depends on a lot of things. Size of the fish, habits of the fish related to swimming patterns, agressivness etc. etc.

Try to list out the fish you would like to have then someone here will help with the stocking sequence and wheter or not they will get along with each other as well as how many you can end up with.

yeah I would highly suggest the lfs idea of finding a clown. Picked up my two tomatoes and their plate coral for 40 bucks. Ask perhaps that your lfs put some clowns in their coral tanks and see if it gets attached to anything, I've even seen them fall in love with powerheads. Rather funny if you ask me.

On my 58 which is slightly close to your 40 I'm doing the two clowns, 2 firefish, 5 vanderbilt chromis and a copperband butterfly fish leaving me with enough space for a fish or two more if I fall in love with something later on.

Well i still can't get these freaking pics up yet!

I have some more bad news, i think my big chromis picked on the little one to death. I fed and only the big one appeard, i searched for the other one behinde some of the rocks but still can't find him. I think when i get my two clowns i will get rid trap and get rid of the chromis but i am not sure yet!

too many horror stories about thsoe green and blue ones, I'm trying some vanderbilt chromis and if they show any violence they are getting packed up and sent back to the lfs.

Nice tank. Just calm down :lol:

It's a tank, you'll have it for a long time, no need to freak out about things yet.

With a new tank, you'll go through stages. Let it be! Don't go buying 75 snails because you see algae. here's a few things I've learned and now abide by.

1) No crabs. They're carnivores, all of them. Unless they have no claws.

2) Only use RO/DI water. There's nobody that can tell you what's in the water that you purchase at the stores. Even if it says distilled or whatever, you don't know what may have been dropped in there. When YOU make RO/DI water YOU know what's in it.

3) Any algae/diatoms that show up for the next 6 months will disappear with regular maintenance.

4) Weekly 15% water changes do wonders. I do weekly water changes on a new tank for the first year. Then I begin to relax on changes.

Good luck!

Nice tank. Just calm down :lol:

It's a tank, you'll have it for a long time, no need to freak out about things yet.

With a new tank, you'll go through stages. Let it be! Don't go buying 75 snails because you see algae. here's a few things I've learned and now abide by.

1) No crabs. They're carnivores, all of them. Unless they have no claws.

2) Only use RO/DI water. There's nobody that can tell you what's in the water that you purchase at the stores. Even if it says distilled or whatever, you don't know what may have been dropped in there. When YOU make RO/DI water YOU know what's in it.

3) Any algae/diatoms that show up for the next 6 months will disappear with regular maintenance.

4) Weekly 15% water changes do wonders. I do weekly water changes on a new tank for the first year. Then I begin to relax on changes.

Good luck!

Cool thanks!

I haven't had any problems with my zebra hermits yet they seem to keep to them selves. The only time they disturb the snails is when the climb on their shells and eat things off of them! It is funny to watch their antics as they run around the tank Running in to anything as they run in front of my tank.

Oh yeah and my little chromis isn't dead we just didn't want to come out that night!

HE is back and eating! I think i am going to trap them and give them back to the LFS and pic up some clowns next week, If my parameters are perfect!

I am still having some trouble with the temp in my tank. My heater just doesn't seem to be heating the waterlike it should! I have the heater set at 80 F but at night it doesn't seem to keep the tank warm, when i woke up at 6:30 the temp was 73 F. I am going to attempt to turn the heater up to about 83-84 F and see how the water heats up. I was also thinking about getting another heater but i dont' know if that is necessary.

Also does it matter if the heater touches the sand????

And some glue from my Mag Float some how got on the front (interior) of my aquarium, and i can't get it off i think i may just need to drain more then half of my aquarium and use some rubbing alcohol on it!!! Is there any product that anybody can recommend that i could use without harming the water and livestock and with having to drain basically my whole tank to do so!?!?!?!?

glue from your magfloat? trash it. glue isn't supposed to come off those things.

as for the heat issue... maybe you just need a better heater?

Tim

yeah i am gowing to git rid of it!! it is a piece of trash, it doesn't even scrap the algae from my acrlyic, so LAME!!!! I will just use my credit card to scrap stuff of the glass it seems to work a hell of alot better!!!

Here are those pics i wanted to post about a week ago:

One of my hermits with a crappy shell :P

DSC00667.jpg

Doing some house cleaning

DSC00668.jpg

Pic of my tank about a week 1/2 ago. The coralline has been growing like crazy since this picture!! Tank is starting to look better now!!! :lol:

DSC00654.jpg

Tank looks great! I love that hermit with the junky shell lol, if you are still battling heat you may check out these fans.

It is not that my tank is to hot, it is that the heat was dropping dramatically at at night from 78-80F during the day with MH on to 73F!!!! at night. Last night i put the heater up to 81 and it was a level 80F all night!! so i think i solved my problem for now!!!

Yeah that hermit switched to that shell for some reason :huh:

I like my hermits i hope they don't get all crazy and attack my snails and coral, but they did come from a frag tank and they didn't mess with any of the stuff in there!!!

Here are 2 more pics one of another hermit and Full shot of the tank this time:

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

Very Nice! As for the heater that should solve the problem, you must have had the heater set low? But setting it at 81 is good because at night your temp will stay up and the heater will turn off once it hits your set temp, so during the day your MH maintains the temp.

Sorry if I repeated anything already said, just scanned through the thread.

Oh, BTW how much do you evap a day?

Very Nice! As for the heater that should solve the problem, you must have had the heater set low? But setting it at 81 is good because at night your temp will stay up and the heater will turn off once it hits your set temp, so during the day your MH maintains the temp.

Sorry if I repeated anything already said, just scanned through the thread.

Oh, BTW how much do you evap a day?

Um... not that much maybe like 1/4 to 1/2 gallon a day at the most i think that is to much actually maybe less than that :huh:

Once i get back from Hawaii i am going to start putting some more livestock in my tank maybe some zoa's, maybe a trumpet or candycane, torch and maybe a pair of perc clowns! :lol: I really can't wait to go to hawaii but i really can't wait to add stuff to my tank!!!!!

hey it's looking good! cool pics of your hermits too!

Thanks! I wish i could get some more pics but my camera was ran over by a forklift, kind of a random way to break a camera! :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got back from hawaii yesterday! Saw lots of great fish it was amazing, i will be posting pics of them when i get a chance.

My tank did good for the 8 days i was gone, ammonia is at 0 and i am going to add some more fish this week when i can make a trip to the LFS. Coralline growth kinda slowed alittle, i think because my light was only on 4 hours a day. I will post pics soon!!!!

Just picked up my first coral four different types of shrooms and a green torch coral. The four different shrooms are green flouresnt mushrooms, blue shrooms, and two other i am not queit sure of yet, i will pst pic tonight

Ok finally have some new pics i added 1 new fish and 7 new corals, i dont have pic of all the corals yet because they havent opened all the way:

Trumpet Coral

CIMG0322.jpg

Two different types of zoos on one rock:

CIMG0325.jpg

Some Shrooms: There is a neon green one but i can't get a pic of him!

CIMG0326.jpg

CIMG0327.jpg

Here is my new fish i just had to have him! He is a Barncle Blenny! You can see my Torch in this pic too

CIMG0342.jpg

CIMG0341.jpg

CIMG0332.jpg

FTS:

CIMG0330.jpg

Tank looks good man. Do you go to picture perfect?. I'm good friends with the owner as well (just don't want to announce some ones name on the internet.) Next time your in there, ask to see the peacock mantis. This used to be mine and they adopted her :D. Anyways cheers man, Hope to see some more updates.

Archived