Top Shelf Aquatics

My first SW, 40 gallons! PICS!

Ronin3310

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NICE!!! Do you have any corals yet? I don't see any.

I WISH!!!!! no i haven't had my tank that long, so i want to wait for my paramerter to be right because some coral is expensive!!!! :mellow:

I only have the chromis to help with the cycling of the tank, i checked my parameter before hand but i add them to build up the bio load slowly. I will be getting a clean up crew in a few weeks!!!! :lol:

Thanks for the comment too!

grink dude

looking really nice mate, good job ont eh aquascaping, and don't worry about the fish thing, i bought my rocks alreay matured, and i didnt even see a cycle.

Grink dude - Thanks for the comment, yeah u caught a little greif for putting the Chromis in but some people just don't understannd that not every tank is the same.

nattydread - i got it from my local LFS called Picture Perfect in Marina, Ca (only SW fish store in the area, unless you want to drive an hour or more to get some fish) the rock came from an established tank.

Bigbyrd - thanks for the comment it took me a little fiddling around with the rock till i got it just right!

Right now i am adding 10 snails to handle my diatom algae growing, looking kinda ugly -_- !

i will post some more pics later.

I wanted to buy a sea hair or is it sea rabbit but i don't think it is time yet.

wow that looks awesome with the sunpod and blue background

is that a 2x250 watt?

Sorry, i gave the wrong info on my light:

Sunpod 36 inch

- 2x150 = 300 watts

- total of 18 moonlight (not 12 like i said before) 9 blue LED 9 white LED

- 100% kick a$$ not sure if curse words are aloud (sorry if they aren't :P )

I will be posting new pics either tonight or tomorrow afternoon!!!!

i just saw this long (maybe 1-2 inch) white/trasparent tentical coming from a hole in the rock, any idea what it is???? :huh:

Here are some new pics!!!!

This is a nudabrank (i don't think i spelt that right) he was a hitchhiker! :happy:

DSC00630.jpg

Here is the snail i have put into my tank:

Turbo i think??? :huh:

DSC00629.jpg

Not sure???

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00631.jpg

My tank at night:

DSC00626.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

Hey I used to have that exact tank, I had to get rid of it a month ago because will be going to pharmacy school but I will still have my nano. I love the aquascaping btw.

Hey I used to have that exact tank, I had to get rid of it a month ago because will be going to pharmacy school but I will still have my nano. I love the aquascaping btw.

Thanks, it took me a while to stop messing with it!

Thanks for all the nice comments! :lol: I was hoping i did a good job with the rock it was my first time doing and SW aquascape!!! :happy: I will be posting pictures again later! Maybe when i find some more hitchhikers or something!!!

dude seriously im in love with the tank it looks great.

im not familiar with the tank but is there a false wall and some compartments in the back? or do you have a sump? i dont think you mentioned that before im just curious.

also what are your stocking plans?

I have a question, i have been reading that your temp is only supposed to fluctuate 2 degeers withing 24 hours mine has been from 5-8 degrees flux! I am keeping my heater at 69-70F combined with my MH heat it up to about 80-81F and when i turn them of at night the temp drops to about 73-74F i don't want my fish getting ich. Should i unplug my heater during the day and just let my MH heat the water, and then at night plug in the heater?

dude seriously im in love with the tank it looks great.

im not familiar with the tank but is there a false wall and some compartments in the back? or do you have a sump? i dont think you mentioned that before im just curious.

also what are your stocking plans?

THANKS! :lol: My self esteem is going through the roof lol!!

To answer your questions there is no sump it is all built into the back which is really nice and convient not to have a tank undermy desk, you can't see it but under mt desk i had to put support beams to support the weight!!! it is only temp. until i figure out what i am really going to use for underneath to support the massive weight! The Tank is an All-In-One TRUVU 40 gal.

ya i just went to theeir website and read all about em. sounds pretty cool i might have to get one.

the heat thing...i have a fan about a foot away from the tank thats on a timer with the lights....that keeps the tank at 82 when the lights are on, my heater is set at 80 so when the lights go off it never goes below 80. so get yourself a fan, and turn your heater up to maybe 78 or 79 at least....the heater shuts off when it gets to 79 or whatever you have it set for so theres no need to set it so low.

edit: $8 fan from walmart is what i use

As for stocking i want to get 2 - pecular clowns 2 - pearly jawfish 1 - blue tang (dori) not sure the exact name sorry for the nemo name! 1 - dwarf angel fish (not sure what type yet) 1 - sea hair 1 - tuxedo urchin 1 - black long spine urchin 1 - yellow tang

Coral i am not sure yet i know i want a hammer though!

This might be too much for my tank this is just all an estiament!

sounds good, a little much but youll change your mind anyways when the time comes to start stocking

i replied to the heat issue thing up there you might have missed it right before your last post

sounds good, a little much but youll change your mind anyways when the time comes to start stocking

i replied to the heat issue thing up there you might have missed it right before your last post

Yeah sorry i didn't respond to that on i am at work right now and i am posting when i have some free time :P

But when i get off in 2 hours i am going to see what my temp is at i think it stays at 80-81 with the halide on i am going to turn my heater up to 79 when i get home so it will kick in at night! i have a fan at home that i may put on my desk if i need to cool my tank off, it is unsually hot this past month for Monterey, Ca but once fall rolls around it should stablize and i wont need to cool my tank that much!

Oh crap!!!!!!!! i think my heater is broken! that means another unheated night for my poor little critters! i hope my fish don't get ich i hate when things go wrong! I just closed everything in my room hoping that none of the heat escapes!

I used Longs DI water to top off my tank, DON'T USE IT!!!! They say it is distilled but it is not!!! i had a major algae bloom in my tank because their were dissovled metals in it like phosohate!!!! Thank god i had my snails in there to take care of it last night! I changed my water and added 2 gallons of SW and 2 galllons of RO salinty came down from 1.026 to 1.024!

Looking really good. I've been thinking about getting a sunpod on my 20.

The money is worth it!!!! like ten times over, oncei put some coral in their it is going to be ridiculous!

I found out what was wrong with my heater, see the first tank that i had (20 gal truvu) had a leak, i kept except the tank and pump. I never even thought about the amount of watts of the heater it was 75W i took it to my LFS and she said that i needed the 150W, at first she said you can just pay the difference of the two but then she just put it in my hands and said take it! She is so nice, i told her that i would pay her back by buying all of my fish and coral from her!

Anyways i am having a diatom outbreak, is 10 snails enough for my 40 gal to take care of the problem, it is pretty bad, stupid Longs DI water!

Suggestions please??????

Archived