Cultivated Reef

Cold Water Nano

Maeda

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No relation to a Michael Weast.

Thanks for clearing that up.. . :D That and every other question I had.

Basically i'm shooting for stability, but at a lower temperature and with added feedings to compensate for the lack of energy input from lighting.

How's the water flow in your tanks?

I'm guessing that for more size info, i'll just have to suck-it-up and get out there. It's so cold, but at least there arn't any tiger sharks. :D

Can you recommend a method for collecting the strawberry anemones? They look like big zoo's... cut between the heads and chip off a piece of rock perhaps?

steveweast
Thanks for clearing that up.. . :D That and every other question I had.

Basically i'm shooting for stability, but at a lower temperature and with added feedings to compensate for the lack of energy input from lighting.

How's the water flow in your tanks?

I'm guessing that for more size info, i'll just have to suck-it-up and get out there. It's so cold, but at least there arn't any tiger sharks. :D

Can you recommend a method for collecting the strawberry anemones? They look like big zoo's... cut between the heads and chip off a piece of rock perhaps?

Flow doesn't need to be as strong as in an sps tank....but, you do need some flow. I just have a single Tunze 6000 in each tank that is set for a variable flow......nothing special. Anemones still rely upon flow to bring food and carry waste away.

Yea....no Tigers....but, there was a White spotted in the Sound last year......and with a drysuit, the water temp is irrelevant.

Chipping rock is never an option....that granite-like rock is just too tough. Strawberries are elusive on two levels....first...they are hard to find. It's obvious that they need tons of food because they are only found in high flow areas that are directly open to the ocean. You won't find them in the Sound....only at the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca....as well as parts of the San Juans (from what I'm told). Secondly....once you find them, they are hard to collect. They do not come off rocks clean. You'll have to take the rock or ....more likely....the barnacle rocks that they are attached to.

Brooding anemones are much easier to find and remove. You can just use a cedit card and scrape them from a rock. They come in two flavors...orange and red. They can be found off Anacortes near Burrows Island or in Deception Pass.

Flow doesn't need to be as strong as in an sps tank....but, you do need some flow. I just have a single Tunze 6000 in each tank that is set for a variable flow......nothing special. Anemones still rely upon flow to bring food and carry waste away.

Yea....no Tigers....but, there was a White spotted in the Sound last year......and with a drysuit, the water temp is irrelevant.

Chipping rock is never an option....that granite-like rock is just too tough. Strawberries are elusive on two levels....first...they are hard to find. It's obvious that they need tons of food because they are only found in high flow areas that are directly open to the ocean. You won't find them in the Sound....only at the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca....as well as parts of the San Juans (from what I'm told). Secondly....once you find them, they are hard to collect. They do not come off rocks clean. You'll have to take the rock or ....more likely....the barnacle rocks that they are attached to.

Brooding anemones are much easier to find and remove. You can just use a cedit card and scrape them from a rock. They come in two flavors...orange and red. They can be found off Anacortes near Burrows Island or in Deception Pass.

Thanks for the tips! Now I need to get me diving certification and a boat. o.O i'm used to free diving in about 30-70 feet, but thats in clear tropical water(originally from hawaii), and with a spear. Never tried a dry suit.. sounds interesting. As long as there's no tiger sharks!!!

I could possibly ask very very nicely at the cabrillo aquarium to see if i could get strawberry specimens.

Anybody know what we(socalites) have around catalina island other then catalina gobys?

Thanks for the tips! Now I need to get me diving certification and a boat. o.O i'm used to free diving in about 30-70 feet, but thats in clear tropical water(originally from hawaii), and with a spear. Never tried a dry suit.. sounds interesting. As long as there's no tiger sharks!!!

I could possibly ask very very nicely at the cabrillo aquarium to see if i could get strawberry specimens.

Anybody know what we(socalites) have around catalina island other then catalina gobys?

have you visited the aquarium of the pacific in Long Beach? I believe they have a local tank there, that has species from the catalina area. I specifically remember catalina gobies in their display.

have you visited the aquarium of the pacific in Long Beach? I believe they have a local tank there, that has species from the catalina area. I specifically remember catalina gobies in their display.

Yes they do, and yes' ive been.

The cabrillo aquarium is much neater for the local stuff, as the whole place is pretty much cold water anemones, and habitats, AND all their plumbing is exposed so you can deduce how it all works. o.O

steveweast

The cabrillo aquarium is much neater for the local stuff, as the whole place is pretty much cold water anemones, and habitats, AND all their plumbing is exposed so you can deduce how it all works. o.O

Good luck getting the strawberries. I know it is very hard due to collection restrictions in Cali. My dive buddy did his undergraduate marine biology work from UCSB.....and dove the Channel Islands frequently. He said that the strawberries were most plentiful on oil platforms.....but....good luck getting close to them these days. There may not be tigers out there....but, he's recounted numerous encounters with great whites in the Channel Islands. I would start familiarizing yourself with Cali collection laws before you start anything.

There may not be tigers out there....but, he's recounted numerous encounters with great whites in the Channel Islands. I would start familiarizing yourself with Cali collection laws before you start anything.

Of course. I don't want to be collecting things they don't want collected...

I think i'm still more scared of tigers over great whites..... but i'm horrendously shark phobic. When I see one in the water I pretty much write off the spot and ne'er return. :\ It's probably less scary when you have equiptment so you can breath, and stay under longer then a minute or two.

Do you think i might have better luck hiring a diver to collect for me(assuming the law allows for it)? We've done that in hawaii before, and I don't see why that won't work around here.

anyone want to help pitch in some $$$ for a pro to collect some things for us?

steveweast
Of course. I don't want to be collecting things they don't want collected...

I think i'm still more scared of tigers over great whites..... but i'm horrendously shark phobic. When I see one in the water I pretty much write off the spot and ne'er return. :\ It's probably less scary when you have equiptment so you can breath, and stay under longer then a minute or two.

Do you think i might have better luck hiring a diver to collect for me(assuming the law allows for it)? We've done that in hawaii before, and I don't see why that won't work around here.

anyone want to help pitch in some $$$ for a pro to collect some things for us?

Hiring someone might work......and be better..... if you're a new diver. Most of the stuff we're interested in is deep and in high current areas.

As for sharks.....when you learn to dive, your fear will diminish. I really got over any fear that I might have had after diving in Bora Bora.....the shark capitol of the world. Here are a few photos I took while snorkelling (not even diving) off my bungalow.

LRshark1.jpg

LRshark2.jpg

And more sharks down 120ft...

LRdeepwatershark.jpg

But, what was really scary was this titan trigger who swam up and bit the camera....fortunately, I got the pic first...

LRtriggerface.jpg

Sorry for the derail....now, back to cold water....

Wow! Coldwater tanks are awesome! ( ^o^) <3

I've thought about setting one up too & getting some local stuff from my local rock beach, but then I don't know what is legal to get & what is not & at the same time, I don't want to damage the local ecology either, so I don't end up doing it. Hahahaha!

• 2 months later...

Great info guys! As usual, It is always a pleasure to hear comments from Steve. I am sorry to hear he is dismantaling his tanks.

I am slightly new to the CW reefs and started a 30gal bio cube back in March. My bio cube is made of glass and is about 1/2" thick. Currently the temp is 62 and I have had no problems with condensation. I am running a JBJ arctic 1/10hp chiller and it does a great job keeping up.

I am running the stock system pump with divertors,a Peng 500 powerhead, and a Rena XP2 canister to pump the Chiller. I'm using crushed rock inside the middle chamber of the tank and inside the Rena filter. I am running a Sapphire skimmer in the middle tank chamber as well. All of the critters I have we're collected by me with the exception of the white abalone. I have a mix of local sealife as follows;

Cup corals

Red Gorgonion

Zoanthids

Strawberry Anemones

Several varieties of tube worms

Barnacles

Lined Chiton

Turbo snails

Chestnut Cowerys

Bat Star

Purple urchin

White urchin

White Abalone

Masking Crab

Cone shell

Norris Top snail

Ida's Miter

Hermit Crabs

Blackeyed Goby

Catalina Goby

Varieties of algae

I have had a very hard time keeping Nudabranchs. Steve is right, they tend to find there way into the filter overflow.

In California you must have a scientific Collection permit in addition to a California fishing liscense in order to

remove marinelife. I have one and it cost $50. You also need to have an affiliation to some type of research or educational foundation. There are many other restrictions that come along with the permit. For instance, you need to fill out a collection notification 24hrs before you collect and fax it to your local DFG field office. You must keep track of your collections and make a full report to DFG upon renewel of your permit. If you are collecting at Catalina Island, you need to have approval from the CIMI before doing so. You may not collect rocks, sand or certain species of eel grass. As Steve said They are not collection friendly here in So Cal.

Don't worry about the sharks, your more likely to get electricuted by your fish tank!!

Here is one I ran into diving the Bahamas in July.

let me know how things are coming.

post-22564-1191277863_thumb.jpg

Great info guys! As usual, It is always a pleasure to hear comments from Steve. I am sorry to hear he is dismantaling his tanks.

Really? Sad. :( Maybe I could take the strawberry nems off his hands for him. :D

Now that it's winter I moved my tank out of the basement and hooked it up to my chiller. Right now it's at 66, but the chiller seems to be keeping up, so I think I'm going to drop it a few degrees. Now that I see it everyday I've stopeped neglecting it. Soon it'll be ready for some pictures!

Thanks for reviving this thread!

fraggle rockette

I am slightly new to the CW reefs and started a 30gal bio cube back in March. My bio cube is made of glass and is about 1/2" thick. Currently the temp is 62 and I have had no problems with condensation. I am running a JBJ arctic 1/10hp chiller and it does a great job keeping up.

I am running the stock system pump with divertors,a Peng 500 powerhead, and a Rena XP2 canister to pump the Chiller. I'm using crushed rock inside the middle chamber of the tank and inside the Rena filter. I am running a Sapphire skimmer in the middle tank chamber as well. All of the critters I have we're collected by me with the exception of the white abalone. I have a mix of local sealife as follows;

Cup corals

Red Gorgonion

Zoanthids

Strawberry Anemones

Several varieties of tube worms

Barnacles

Lined Chiton

Turbo snails

Chestnut Cowerys

Bat Star

Purple urchin

White urchin

White Abalone

Masking Crab

Cone shell

Norris Top snail

Ida's Miter

Hermit Crabs

Blackeyed Goby

Catalina Goby

Varieties of algae

I have had a very hard time keeping Nudabranchs. Steve is right, they tend to find there way into the filter overflow.

In California you must have a scientific Collection permit in addition to a California fishing liscense in order to

remove marinelife. I have one and it cost $50. You also need to have an affiliation to some type of research or educational foundation. There are many other restrictions that come along with the permit. For instance, you need to fill out a collection notification 24hrs before you collect and fax it to your local DFG field office. You must keep track of your collections and make a full report to DFG upon renewel of your permit. If you are collecting at Catalina Island, you need to have approval from the CIMI before doing so. You may not collect rocks, sand or certain species of eel grass. As Steve said They are not collection friendly here in So Cal.

Don't worry about the sharks, your more likely to get electricuted by your fish tank!!

Here is one I ran into diving the Bahamas in July.

let me know how things are coming.

where do you get the strawberry nems? do you ever prop/sell them? i'm kinda obsessed... are they cold water only? also- what algae do you collect? pics/links (sorry for mini thread steal :P ]

fraggle rockette

p.s. i heart the cabrillo aquarium! and the tidepools nearby :D i spent a week there shooting a film last year- right before i started a saltwater tank. could call it the catalyst- lol. i'll need to go back tho- didn't realize it was mostly cold water- was too entranced by the jellyfish. ;)

Really? Sad. :( Maybe I could take the strawberry nems off his hands for him. :D

He already found a new home for them. He'll be back with a vengance.

The Strawberries grow like wildflowers on the oil rigs off our coast. I have a friend who runs a crew boat for one of the rigs and allows us access to dive there occasionally. We go there primarily for the enourmous "dinner plate" sized scallops they provide. When we remove the scallops, the shells are saturated with Stawberries. Not to mention other amazing organisms. They are primarily a cold water species and like it less then 63 degrees. I would be happy to meet you after a rig dive and give you a scallop shell full of them for your tank. I included a picture from a rig dive I did back in 03. You can see the pretty orange smile from the scallop and how encrusted the upper and lower shells are.

The algae I collect comes in the way of hitch-hikers from any fragments introduced to the tank.

I have a few pictures here of my tank:

http://www.mikedreyfus.com/aquarium.htm

post-22564-1191344146_thumb.jpg

fraggle rockette

those are awesome! so they are strawberries too? i've only ever seen the ones that live individually like these before, never the cluster colonies. california-strawberry-anemone.jpg

do you think they would acclimate to warmer water or no? it would be cool to have a cold water tank tho... lol.

those are awesome! so they are strawberries too? i've only ever seen the ones that live individually like these before, never the cluster colonies. california-strawberry-anemone.jpg

do you think they would acclimate to warmer water or no? it would be cool to have a cold water tank tho... lol.

The picture you attached is actually a White Spotted Rose Anemone (Urticina Loftensis)

My picture containd a varity of Club-Tipped Anemone (Corynactis Californica) otherwise know as Strawberry Anemone's. Here is a few types http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?sp=...tis_californica

I doubt they would survive water warmer then 67 degrees.\

omg im so down! :D

I tried to pitch that kind of meet to Asin, but it fell through. :( Even if we can't get a meet together for it, we should plan a day to go anyways, hehe. Drag the roomie along with! :P

Hey if you to go to Cabrillo you better stop by my house for a beer I live five mins away.

I tried to pitch that kind of meet to Asin, but it fell through. :( Even if we can't get a meet together for it, we should plan a day to go anyways, hehe. Drag the roomie along with! :P

do the meet at the AOTP

He already found a new home for them. He'll be back with a vengance.

The Strawberries grow like wildflowers on the oil rigs off our coast. I have a friend who runs a crew boat for one of the rigs and allows us access to dive there occasionally. We go there primarily for the enourmous "dinner plate" sized scallops they provide. When we remove the scallops, the shells are saturated with Stawberries. Not to mention other amazing organisms. They are primarily a cold water species and like it less then 63 degrees. I would be happy to meet you after a rig dive and give you a scallop shell full of them for your tank. I included a picture from a rig dive I did back in 03. You can see the pretty orange smile from the scallop and how encrusted the upper and lower shells are.

The algae I collect comes in the way of hitch-hikers from any fragments introduced to the tank.

omg. I will buy strawberries from you at any price. Seriously, I've been looking for them for so long.

I have other cold water anemones I could trade... I think they're Anthropleura Elegantissima, but they don't form colonies, so I'm not sure.

Pretty please?

omg. I will buy strawberries from you at any price. Seriously, I've been looking for them for so long.

I have other cold water anemones I could trade... I think they're Anthropleura Elegantissima, but they don't form colonies, so I'm not sure.

Pretty please?

Jamie,

I would never sell what mother nature offers for free. I will PM you.

The Anthropleura Elegantissima you mention is a very common critter found here in my local tide pools. They can in fact be a menice.......I've heard.

What size tank do you have?

Archived