inTank Media Baskets

Cold Water Nano

Maeda

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingwintergreen

This isn't my post, but I thought I'd paste it here in case anyone from the area might be interested-- sounds like a good deal:

110 gal coldwater aquarium /seafood tank Tacoma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Refrigerated aquarium ideal for holding live seafood or can be used as a coldwater /regular aquarium it has a 1/2hp chiller installed into the bottom of tank and stand capable of maintaining temps of 45*-80*.It uses reverse flow and biowheel filteration.It is a 110 gal tank made of thermopane glass to eliminate the sweating of the glass.The tank and stand are bonded together ,they cannot be seperated.Total dimensions are 50" long,27 1/2"wide,53" high.Very good condition cleaned and ready to go. If you have ever thought of having a Puget Sound aquarium habitat this is a perfect setup Asking $500.00 cash obo.Check out my other post misc tanks/equip for pics.Please email dugsreef@comcast.net if you want/need further info or to come take a look.Thanks

That's an amazing deal! The chiller by itself would cost twice that much! Too bad I don't have the room, or the money, or any way to convince my parents to drive me to Tacoma so I can buy a giant fishtank. :P

I want it so much. :(

-Jamie

kingwintergreen
That's an amazing deal! The chiller by itself would cost twice that much! Too bad I don't have the room, or the money, or any way to convince my parents to drive me to Tacoma so I can buy a giant fishtank. :P

-Jamie

Yeah, a decent used 1/2 HP made just for temperate aquariums would cost at least this much alone, much less built into a tank and stand. He also just lowered the price to $400! I wish I had the space and the cash. I'd still like to help find it a good home, though, just because it looks so cool. Here are a couple pics:

Can't put them in here for some reason, just go to:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showth...light=coldwater

Couple of coldwater n00b observations: OMG these things can eat!! I thought the mini carpets were crazy...these things stuff it in and "ask" for more food 15 minutes later. Like having tiny teenagers in there.

The biggest one (that I've had the longest) has doubled it's oral disk diameter already...I guess they didn't feed it as much as me.

So...

Think 1.25" acrylic would prevent sweating in the excessive humidity in DC?

I went and saw Steve Weasts tank a few days ago and it was really nice. I talked to the store owner, and he said that since it's not his tank, he couldn't sell me anything out of it, but he gave me the number of the new owner. I called him and left a message on his phone, but i don't think he's going to call back. Just imagine a total stranger calling you and saying, "Hi, can I have some of your strawberry anemones?" embarrassing! :blush:

Super nice tank though; all the animals were amazing. He also has like, 10 of those blue australian boxfish, which are really cool. Now I know how much I need to learn to scuba!

-Jamie

Great pics! When are we going to see some of your tank? ;)

I got five or six A. elegantissima while tidepooling today, and tomorrow I'm going to shortsands where I will hopefully find some xanthos and other cool things. There are lots of goose neck barnacles there, and even though I haven't had luck with them before, maybe now that I have a higher flow tank they will be happier.

It's weird, some enormous rocks have surfaced on the beach (the biggest is maybe six feet tall and 12 feet wide) out of absolutely nowhere. We think that the sand must have been swept away and uncovered them, but it's hard to imagine six feet of sand just disappearing. There were 40 ft swell and 110 mph winds several times this winter though, so I suppose it could happen. There's certainly no other explanation.

I'll keep you guys updated if I find anything of interest tomorrow.

-Jamie

Alright, I ended up going to Arch Cape instead of Shortsands. I got some cool, multi colored elegants and an approx. three inch xantho. Pics (hopefully) soon.

-Jamie

Can somebody (orangecrush) plz move this back to the advanced topics forum.

This is NOT a member tank thread. It's an open discussion about cold water livestock candidates, as well as equipment specifics.

• 1 month later...
Coralkeeper

Hello everyone! I'm new to this board and I already have two FW tanks, two 120 gallon FW ponds, and one 8 gallon reef tank and I'm now ready to set up a 50-60 gallon coldwater cube tank. I've been doing a TON of reading about coldwater tanks. My name is Moses, I'm 14 and I live in CA. I've been emailing and talking to stevewest for a while and he helped me with a lot of things. So, here is the drawing I made. The tank will have a over flow, I already built the chiller, I'm going to be building EVERYTHING my self with some help of a friend who has experience in building tanks, skimmers, and tons more stuff. The tank is going to be made out of 1 inch thick acrylic. I'm going to be using 50 watts of T-5s and the tank will be 24 inches high, 24 inches wide, and 24 inches long. So, its basically a big biocube thats 24 inches by 24 inches. So, tell me what you think and give me some good info on coldwater tanks! I don't think I'm going to be buying any of the live stock. I'm going to be getting everything from the CA coast. I'm still reading about the laws and stuff of what I can and can't take. Tell me what you think about the granite under the tank on helping it stay cool and what you think about my drawing/plan. Oh, and I think(if I can) I'm going to be getting all the Live Rock, Live Sand, and the natural ocean water from the ocean. Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks!! :D

Coldwatertanknumber3-1.jpg

Here is a link to photobucket of a closer up picture of the drawing. The drawing that I posted above is too small to read anything.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/C...nknumber3-1.jpg

lakshwadeep
Hello everyone! I'm new to this board...

:welcome: to nano-reef.com

It's good that your setting up a biotope tank (no need to worry about incompatibility). However, it would be better if you set up a separate thread to get more replies on your specific questions (click "new topic" at the top right).

Coralkeeper
:welcome: to nano-reef.com

It's good that your setting up a biotope tank (no need to worry about incompatibility). However, it would be better if you set up a separate thread to get more replies on your specific questions (click "new topic" at the top right).

Thanks! Ok.

• 1 month later...
kingwintergreen

White-spotted rose nem on cover of FAMA this month and small and wimpy but promising article on temperate aquaria, for those who might be interested...

kalliste...

Yay! maybe this'll get more people interested. Too bad they couldn't have found a better picture, though.

Here's a preview I found on the article, for those interested:

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-magazines/...8-june-toc.aspx

Also, found some good sites for info on PNW animals:

http://www.reef.org/resources/galleries/invertebrate

http://www.reef.org/resources/galleries/westcoast

And articles by David Wrobel:

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/d...793&search=

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/d...3793&search

-Jamie

It's called Saltwater Fanta-seas. It's on Sandy, sort of near the Portland airport. It's not owned by Steve anymore, or the store. I guess the guy Steve sold it to just doesn't have anywhere to keep it. When i went the lights were off, but it was still amazing. The store actually gave me the phone number of the guy who owns it, to see if i could convince him to sell me some strawberry nems. I left a message on his phone, which was just terrible. He of course, never called me back, and I was way too embarrassed to call again. :blush: So no berries for me. Maybe I can go back and get an email address, which would be a lot less emarrassing, because I could actually compose something, rather than just being like, "I want your anemones!" Which was basically the message i left on his phone. It's a great tank though, I would definitely encourage you to see it in person.

-Jamie

• 1 month later...

Archived