Pod Your Reef

DIY 24 x 24 x 20 tank (glass from Nano paul)

tperkins

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Great tank! Where you painted the black on the sides of the tank where the overflow is, why dont you just paint it black all the way down the side?

Because the overflow is only about 5 inches deep. it just barely covers up the places you can see where I siliconed in the overflow.

Oh ok.

The overflow is actually the only thing I can think of that I might have changed about the tank now that it's almost done. If I had made the tank 5 inches deeper and then just made one big overflow in the back and used durso's inside the overflow I think it would have looked a little better and probably been a little quieter.

Live and learn.

wooo! It's full!

Are those actinics only in the photos?

Yes Actinic only. I have new pc bulbs to put in once I actually get some coral in the tank. I also have not decided on a MH bulb yet. I am leaning towards a 12.5 k Geisman.

The rock has been Semi cooking on my back porch for a couple months so I tossed a couple of shrimp pellets in the sump to increase the amount of food for the bacteria to Jump start the "cycle".

My return pump is way to big. I will be replacing the QO3k with a new Eheim once it arrives. That will cut the flow thru my sump in half.

I have also decided to get some filtersocks for the drains. the ASM G2 is going to make it hard for me to siphon out the drain/skimmer section of my sump. Changing out filtersocks every couple of days will be a lot easier.

I really need to find another big circulation pump. I am leaning towards the vortech pumps, I have the Tunze 6100 in there now but still have a dead spot.

Now comes the hardest part of all. Waiting.

• 1 month later...
Nanoreefwanabe

sorry if this late...or already discussed...but dont you have to physically put silicone between the panes of glass? ie along the edges not just along the seem on the inside?

everywhere i have ever read about silicone says it will not bond to existing silicone...that is why on the label it generally clearly states surfaces should be clean and free or dirt and old silicone...i imagine if you "glued the edges with silicone...let cure...trimmed excess away then filled the seems it would be fine, but i dont know...

the tank i built i had the pieces laid out siliconed the edges that needed to be then stood the pieces up, fudged them into place taped them together and smoothed the inner bead and removed the guide tape...let it cure then trimmed the excess that squirted outside the tank...made for a quick mess but 8 seems i have no fear of ever coming apart since the silicone is continuous and one piece..

id ont know just my 2 cents but some input would be nice...

BTW the build is coming along nicely...

LOL WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE THE FRAGS OFF THE PLUGS? LOLOLOLOL!!!

why would he have to?

the frags will encrust over in time anyway...it makes them easier to move if they arent doing well in the current position...and the poor little guys have undergone enough stress being cut, glued and acclimated in the first place, why stress them more...

it is too hard for people just to say nice job and be done with it nowadays.. -_-

sorry if this late...or already discussed...but dont you have to physically put silicone between the panes of glass? ie along the edges not just along the seem on the inside?

I'm wondering the same thing I see a lot of builds that puts the panes of glass up and just silicone the edge I was always wondering if that would be enough.

looking nice. man the fish don't look real with just actinic.

i'm sure adin is jealous because of the internal "pump". i saw a "beta" version at macna a couple years ago, but thought they were way expensinve. how's it working in the tank? better than seio? tunze?

• 1 month later...

Adin is just being helpful. You can frag the coral off the plug, and place it only your rock for a more natural look. He's just trying to help.

• 5 weeks later...
Here's the specs I found that is supposed to be what Elos uses

And Here's the Specs for the 999-A

Nice tank build. I found this page while researching rimless tank building.

I believe that ELOS is using GE RTV103, note cross references in their spec to RTV 102 (white). If you check the spec on this link, you'll see the properties are the same. http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/103.html

Elos also cross references DC 732 (Dow Corning 732), info available here: http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/sea...t.aspx?R=2142EN

• 3 months later...

This thread was awesome, can we get an update. Also is Paul still out there, i would like to get a quote on some low iron glass for a custom tank build.

masterbuilder
I'm wondering the same thing I see a lot of builds that puts the panes of glass up and just silicone the edge I was always wondering if that would be enough.

I have never seen that before, give us a link. That just scares me. Every commercial tank I have seen uses it between the panes.

Archived