inTank Media Baskets

DIY 24 x 24 x 20 tank (glass from Nano paul)

tperkins

Reefaholic
You and me both. fresh water going in tomorrow after work. Anyone have an recommendations on length of time to leak test before I go ahead with the project?

Most of the recommendations I've read say 1 week.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of the recommendations I've read say 1 week.

It will be at least 3 days. were going to build the 2x4 frame on Sunday so I am hoping to move the tank to my house on Sunday afternoon. I still need to build and test my my sump sometime during the next week. I also need to order the parts to mod my skimmer.

It's Silicon dioxide. Silicon and silicone are very different. Silicon is an element, element 14 to be precise. Silicone is a polymer that uses a Silicon and Oxygen backbone, like this:

Si - O - Si - O - Si - O

The properties of silicone depend mainly on any attached functional groups and cross-linking of strands. By changing them they can make anything from a silicone glue to a silicone lubricant.

I know. Nerding in progress.

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

BTW, you're making me ridiculously jealous with your custom tank. Can't wait to see some water in there.

sorry caveman. It was a typo. I guess I shouldnt believe all those gico commercials =(

zomg I use that. It's nice but not the best for repeated use as the attachment is kinda fragile, and you'd waste some silicon having to take it off. It's nice though otherwise. I like it

Thanks ! It's not inside. it's on the pool patio. You are the 2nd person to tell me it looked like it was inside. The pics just don't do it justice. with the back not painted yet all you can see is the green tint form the back and bottom panes

Boys, Boys, Boys!!!

Dow is not EVER going to tell you that anything is reef safe or safe for underwater use. The 999 is just fine for what your doing. As long as its acetoxy cure and 100% silicone you will be just fine. Looking good boss!!! ;)

Got a reply from DOW this morning.

"Dow Corning does not recommend the use of silicone materials for underwater applications. Silicones are permeable and the potential for loss of adhesion exists. For underwater urethanes you can contact Sika @ 800-688-7452 or Bostic @ 800-726-7845. These companies may have a product that will work for your application. Thank you for your interest in Dow Corning products.

Thank you for your inquiry."

Thats the entire email. Are urethanes even reef safe? I'll have to search the Intrawebs for more information.

The only thing I know that Sika makes is called Sikaflex, and its a urathane, no silicone.

I will be back later today to comment on a few other things.

Welcome back Paul! I hope your Vaca went well.

Well I finished the stands frame yesterday, all made outta 2x4's I am gonna have to redesign my sump a little bit because of space constraints. I would have pics of the stand being built but I left my camera at my friends house yesterday so I'll post pics later on tonight.

Welcome back Paul! I hope your Vaca went well.

Well I finished the stands frame yesterday, all made outta 2x4's I am gonna have to redesign my sump a little bit because of space constraints. I would have pics of the stand being built but I left my camera at my friends house yesterday so I'll post pics later on tonight.

Oh it was great. Nine days of Captain Morgan's, sunshine, and boobies!!! :lol:

Hmmm... interesting overflow. It should skim the surface well. Any disadvantages to that style overflow? If it won't get in the way on mine I'd consider it.

I don't need tons of flow through it as I will have a lot of flow through my closed loop. The tank will be 48" long so I don't think I'd need too wide of one to handle the flow.

How are the holes in the overflow going to be plumbed? 3 overflows? 2 Overflows/1 return etc... ?

With it exposed at the top will algae not grow like crazy in it being exposed to that much light?

Hmmm... interesting overflow. It should skim the surface well. Any disadvantages to that style overflow? If it won't get in the way on mine I'd consider it.

I don't need tons of flow through it as I will have a lot of flow through my closed loop. The tank will be 48" long so I don't think I'd need too wide of one to handle the flow.

How are the holes in the overflow going to be plumbed? 3 overflows? 2 Overflows/1 return etc... ?

With it exposed at the top will algae not grow like crazy in it being exposed to that much light?

No disadvantages that I can find. I don't think I would do one the entire back if I had a 48 inch tank. I am shooting for 200 - 300 gph through my sump. it should give me a nice even flow over the edge of the overflow.

2 drains and 1 return, each drain can handle more than the amount I'll be returning to the tank on it's own. kinda redundancy if one gets clogged no harm no foul.

I had considered the algae issue. The tank is going to be bare bottom so if i have enough phosphates and or Nitrates to grow a lot of algae then I am doing something drastically wrong. I also made it 5 x 5 for eazy cleaning.

Going to be painting the back this weekend. Anything I need to do to the glass besides clean it really good?

Nope. Make sure you use krylon fusion or it wont stick ;)

Thanks Vic

I just hope it looks as good as I hope once it's all said and done.

I am doing my best to keep it as clean as possible.

I have to have my sump acrylic pieces re cut because I couldn't design the stand to look right with the original size sump I had planned. so it's gonna have to be 21 x 18 x 19 instead of 22 x 22 x 19. not a huge difference. just glad I didn't put the sump together before I built the stand frame.

On a side note I have probably sent about 15 people to Paul for glass I hope hes getting some sales out of it.

On a side note I have probably sent about 15 people to Paul for glass I hope hes getting some sales out of it.

YES YOU DID!! I have soooo much stuff to do its not funny :lol: THANK YOU!!!

YES YOU DID!! I have soooo much stuff to do its not funny :lol: THANK YOU!!!

Paul,

You're Welcome.

When I get great customer service I will not hesitate to send people that way.

Archived