Coral Vue Hydros

Prowland's Aquapod 24

Prowland

Okay so for an update...

I think I may have been shorted a few of the black parts that can blok flow into the chambers. I am going to go get some acrylic to make a peice to get the flow where I want it.

I have been running the tank with the hood propped up to allow for the skimmer to be in there. It is raised with a piece of blue sponge that came with the tank.

I also bought a finger coral today at premium aquatics:

P1010013.jpg

Pic taken after about 4 mins in my tank.

Here are some more pics of the tank as well:

P1010016.jpg

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Update FTS:

P1010015.jpg

I am planning on addin some more zoas, palys, xenia, shrooms, and more LPS coral.

Still debating on what fish I want to add to the mix... I want something that is a sand sifter.

I also want to add some more snails.

What do you think of the new addition?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are firefish very active? I am thinking about that as my last addition.

That or a yellow watchman goby.

Okay thanks for the input ;)

I purchased some gralic stuff to add to my food miz for the tank. Here is a list of what I am currently feeding 1X per week on the night befor the w/c.

New Life Spectrum pellets

Frozen mysis shrimp

Kent Zoe marine liquid

Seachem Garlic Guard liquid

I soak the stuff in a container in the fridge overnight then feed the tank. What do you feed your tank?

I am off the the LFS to try and find something fun.

Okay so I got to thinking I could make one of those in-tank refugiums for my tank...

here is what I was going for:

CITR-1.jpg

They are listed at like $50+

So I got a Lees specimen container and drilled the same holes and put my spare tunze mini where the pictured ph was.

5024_04.jpg

Instant in tank refugium for about $18

I will take pics later when the camera charges!

So here is what I have going on my tank:

Stock lighting + 65W Satallite PC

Maxijet 1200 replacement of stock pump

Maxijet 400 W/hydor flo attachment

Sapphire Aquatics protien skimmer

Bag Purigen

Bag Kent reef carbon

Rock rubble in outlet chamber

50W Titanium Finnex heater

Future plans are as follows:

250W Metal Halide

1/10 hp chiller

Better stand than the aquapod stand

Lots more coral!! WAHOO

kevin4052002

Tank looks great. Firefish can be active, but may shy away if alone, a pair would do better. YWG's don't really sift, if you are still looking for that.

I'd like to see how the halide turns out.

Keep up the work.

kevin4502002: Thanks for the comments!

Do you think that 2 fire fish, 2 false perc, and a clown goby is too much for the tank?

I do w/c's every 2 weeks and am running a protien skimmer constantly.

kevin4052002: suggestion/warning noted :)

Any other opinions on what I should add as a last fish?

My lfs just got some in at $89 for a bluespot... very pretty fish!

Not too big on the multi-color angel

Helfrichs are neat but that would break the bank for 2 of them :)

So I was at the LFS and I saw a red starfish (Fromia milleporella) and I had to have it.

The little guy is about the size of half dollar right now.

I will try to get some pics of him and the in tank fuge soon.

So I was at the LFS and I saw a red starfish (Fromia milleporella) and I had to have it.

The little guy is about the size of half dollar right now.

I will try to get some pics of him and the in tank fuge soon.

I love Scooter Blenny's for the bottom and Nasirius Snails rock! :)

I like the scooter blennys as well...

here are the pics:

in-tank fuge

P1010025.jpg

P1010030.jpg

I dont have anything in it yet except for some sand and a little rubble... but a lot cheaper than the premade ones. ***NEED SOMETIHNG TO GO IN THERE***

introducing ROCKstar!

P1010024.jpg

current FTS

P1010029-1.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010027-2.jpg

P1010028-1.jpg

My skimmer went nuts when I added the food mix to the tank...

I came home from work and found it almost full to the brim! It stunk of garlic soooooooo bad.

Any more suggestion on my last fish?

Here is what I am thinking about as of now:

2 spot goby pair

yellow watchman goby and shrimp

randalls shrimp goby and shrimp

Black Barred Convict Goby

Court Jester Goby

Yellow Priolepis Goby

Cant decide on which one...

I have a yellow watchman...he's fun to watch. I didn't go for the pistol though, I got a blood shrimp and they don't really hang together.

I just got a yellow clown goby...he's really small but very bright...likes to hang out in my waving hands. He's so small, I can't imagine that he adds much bioload. I highly recommend him.

-b

My skimmer went nuts when I added the food mix to the tank...

I came home from work and found it almost full to the brim! It stunk of garlic soooooooo bad.

Any more suggestion on my last fish?

Here is what I am thinking about as of now:

2 spot goby pair

yellow watchman goby and shrimp

randalls shrimp goby and shrimp

Black Barred Convict Goby

Court Jester Goby

Yellow Priolepis Goby

Cant decide on which one...

question... are these tanks glass or acrylic?

Can I use a mag float?

mag floats tend to scratch anything so be careful. a simple algae pad is 10x better

I currently have a Green clown goby, false perc pair, pepp shrimp, 8 blue legs, 3 scarlet reef hermets, emrald crab, and various snails.

What should I put in the in tank fuge?

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Tank! Love the aqua scape.As for fish I would add the Yellow Watchman or a Hi Fin. Try to get some chaeto for the in-tank fuge.

• 2 months later...

Okay so I have a few updates about my tank...

I had a nice cyano outbreak due to some nasty water from walmart :(... now its distilled only until I get a ro/di

The clown goby and one clownfish are gone... current fish are as follows

One misbar false perc

Maited pair of yellow watchmen gobys from premium aquatics Put in today!

I have about 10lbs more rock getting seeded in a bucket right now to add to the tank

No new corals as I have been getting rid of that dang cyano

That is about if for now. pics once I get the rock in.

Your are right to hold off on adding more (particularly fish) to your tank. Here is a link about Cyano outbreaks that may help: http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/archive/...hp/t-13462.html

You should add cheato to you fuge and make sure your pump’s flow is turned down. You don’t want too much flow! I have had a DIY fuge like yours for a year and half and been very pleased.

If you are still having heat problems with your hood. You may want to check out my DIY thread on 24AP hood cooling and air flow here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128129

What happened to your clown goby? I was thinking of getting one down the road. Was he active or did he hide most of the time?

He went MIA one day... I have had bad luck with most livestock purchased from uncle bills in my town.

Other than that he was somewhat active. He would spend most of the day laying on my finger leather and other corals. Hopping back and forth.

Keepher:

Thanks for the link... I am postitive about the water from water from walmart being the cause of the nasty outbreak due to the recent purchase of a TDS meter. It was 890ppm and I think that is kinda high right?

I think I am going to stick with the 3 fish I have now and enjoy them till I move and build my larger tank!

Thanks for the article about the hood mod... going to do that this week most likely along with the light upgrade!

More updates...

I have removed the intank fuge as I didnt like the look of it.

I purchase about 10lbs LR rubble to seed a large chunck of dead rock that I had in the garage. It is in a bucket with a powerhead, saltwater, and a heater. It has been in there for around 11 days. I am going to give it till the weekend to get some type of live in it and then add it to the display.

I have removed the skimmer from the tank... It was working great but I wanted to add more rock rubble and decided that I can fit about 15lbs in the first chaimber along with a container of purigen.

So I do have a used (approx. 2 months) Sapphire Aquatics Aquapod24 protien skimmer for sale if anyone is interested.

Hope everything works out for your lighting project! If you have any questions, let me know.

I have a in tank fuge as well. I didn't like the looks of it either. After sometime it covered with coralline algae and I covered the front with LR and coral. Now, I don't even notice it.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some new coral...

Frogspawn, green ricordia, 5 different zoas, encrusting gorgonia, kenya tree, and some GSP.

I got them from a guy who was taking down his tank. So some of the stuff has some hair algee on it.

I am really excited about the frogspawn and hoping that the flase perc takes to haosting in it. Right now he is in a small patch of zoas and it looks kinda sad.

The gsp was cut off with a razor and has yet to open up. I have glued it to a rock and am still hopeful.

Archived