SaltCritters.com

Alex's 20h

alexmurovec

alexmurovec
1. Corals don't have feet like anemones, so they really don't move, they are sessile invertebrates (meaning they can't move and they don't have a backbone).

2. I would super glue them to a piece of rock rubble and then wedge the rock into the rock work. Some corals, like leathers and mushrooms can't be glued to anything, you just have to place them where you want them to be and hope that they attach before getting blown away or toppled over by a snail or hermit.

awesome advice! so corals i cannot glue to lr rubble are mushrooms and leathers? do i need to hold them in place till they attach, or does it take a day or two? i'm assuing with zoos they will come on a small peice of rock which i put on my other rock, and eventually overtime they will blend and it'll be a carpet over the lr rubble and display rock?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by inverts, were you refferring to corals and shrimp etc? i think my only invert (animal wise) need is maybe a cleaner shrimp, any other suggestions?

By inverts I mean cuc, shrimp, etc. Things not corals (although corals are technically invertebrates too) or fish. So I guess corals would be included in "inverts". Inverts typically don't produce as much waste a fish do. If you ever find any aiptasia then you might want a pep shrimp to accompany your cleaner shrimp. Just make sure they are the same size and there are plenty of hiding places in your tank.

awesome advice! so corals i cannot glue to lr rubble are mushrooms and leathers? do i need to hold them in place till they attach, or does it take a day or two? I'm assuming with zoos they will come on a small piece of rock which i put on my other rock, and eventually overtime they will blend and it'll be a carpet over the lr rubble and display rock?

To get mushrooms and leathers to attach, just use a rubber band to hold them onto a piece of LR, and they can take either a few days, or a few weeks to attach, depends on the coral.

Yes, just buy a rock with zoas, place the rock on the rock work and eventually they will start to multiply and spread to neighboring rocks.

If you get some zoas that are not already attached to LR, just pat them dry with a paper towel, if the LR is also wet, pat it dry as well. put some supper glue on the LR, then place the BOTTOM of the zoas on the supper glow, blow dry it a little with you mouth and they are ready to be placed in the tank.

alexmurovec
If you get some zoas that are not already attached to LR, just pat them dry with a paper towel, if the LR is also wet, pat it dry as well. put some supper glue on the LR, then place the BOTTOM of the zoas on the supper glow, blow dry it a little with you mouth and they are ready to be placed in the tank.

can i do this with other corals that do not come on a piece of lr rubble or frag plug? sorry for so many questions.

alexmurovec
so where are your new corals photos? :)

i don't have any new corals yet. it sure seems like my one mushroom is growing though, so i might want to cut that up and it put them on little pieces of lr rubble.

by the way, last couple nights i've been looking at my tank after the lights are out and there are so many worms that poke out of holes in the rocks and are feeding off the rocks and what not. then in my one rock, there is a huge tan coloured worm. this guy is super long, and as thick as a pencil. when i turn on my room light, he slowly retracts back into a small crack in the rock. all these worms are smooth and have the appearance of earth worms. are these good or bad?

alexmurovec
Sounds like either Peanut worms or Bristle Worms. Both are normally reef safe.

ok great. today is friday, and my bulb is suppose to arrive, so lets hope for the best. if it does, i'm going to mount my fixture into my canopy and then i'll order some corals tonight, and they should be here tomorrow morning.

alexmurovec

is there such a thing of overloading on corals? can i put 5 or 6 different types of coral frags all in one stocking? with fish i know there is possibliity of bio overload if you add too many at once in a small tank, does this rule apply to corals?

alexmurovec
what are you looking to add, alex? can't wait to an updated FTS!

well as long as i actually do get my 14k 70W mh bulb in the mail today, i will be placing an order online tonight for a couple corals. they will arrive tomorrrow morning, so anyone got any tips of how to introduce them, i really need to do some research on accclimating. but any other tips would be great.

as for what i'm thinking of adding, i'm thinking something along the lines of this...regular leather, assorted mushrooms, gsp, frogspawn, candy canes, brain coral. really, i dont know exactly what i all want to add right now, but its going to be a soft coral and lps tank. any recommendations?

i like the frogspawn and brain coral. probably gonna pick some up this weekend for my tank. can't wait to see you pic! hopefully your light is chilling in the mail! :D

alexmurovec

just got home from school and guess what, no bulb. i'm still tempted to get a couple corals though, is it worth it? heres the breakdown, corals will go into my tank with PC lighting on saturday, 70W MH will replace PC lighting mid week. do you think it is worth it, or will it be too much stress on the corals? i'm going to look into exactly which corals i want to add first and post them back on here in a couple

All those corals you have selected are very resilient. I don't think the lighting change will have much effect on them.

Here is some good information about acclimating corals and fish.

As for corals, I think you should add some zoanthids to that list.

Will

alexmurovec
All those corals you have selected are very resilient. I don't think the lighting change will have much effect on them.

Here is some good information about acclimating corals and fish.

As for corals, I think you should add some zoanthids to that list.

Will

i would love to add some zoos to the list, but the online supplier i'm buying from doesn't even have any, how lame. this site is really the only place i can get corals at decent prices, but still, kind of pricy. here is a list of all the decent corals that i'm interested from the supplier with links to them from the suppliers site. any info, positives, negatives or anything about the corals would be great. i'm thinking about placing an order tonight, maybe just a small one (3-4 corals). i've been searching more local forums, a couple people from vancouver have frags for cheap, so i might get up on those. anyways, heres that list...

Carnation Coral (colored)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...ct_ID=c-icarnrs

Finger Coral (devils hand)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...ct_ID=c-ifingdv

Leather Coral (bright yellow)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...ct_ID=c-ileathy

Pumping Xenia

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...uct_ID=c-ixenpg

Green Star Polyps

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...ct_ID=c-ipolgst

Bubble Coral (green)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...uct_ID=c-ibubgs

Open Brain (red)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...duct_ID=c-ibors

if you're only going to get 2-3 of the ones listed, i'd bust the open brain, bubble, and finger. i say you go crazy and get all of them! :P that would be wild! omgomgomg

That Carnation is only fo experts because the require special feeding because they don't use light to get their energy, plust they need a really matured tank to survive as well.

alexmurovec
if you're only going to get 2-3 of the ones listed, i'd bust the open brain, bubble, and finger. i say you go crazy and get all of them! :P that would be wild! omgomgomg

sure would be wild. is the bubble coral a anenome, cause isn't there a bubble anenome? i like the open brain, very colourful, i think its going to be up on my list, as well as the bubble, unless its an anenome because they need more established tank. man i'm getting excited.

That Carnation is only fo experts because the require special feeding because they don't use light to get their energy, plust they need a really matured tank to survive as well.

ok, carnation is out. which corals of these do not require feeding to thrive? of course, with feeding all corals will do better, but consider no feeding.

Everything else will be fine with only light, and they will get what they need from water changes, but as you said, they also would benefit from feeding.

alexmurovec
Everything else will be fine with only light, and they will get what they need from water changes, but as you said, they also would benefit from feeding.

is that green bubble coral the same as a bubble anenome?

No, A Bubble Coral is a coral, a Bubble-ti Anemone is an Anemone. And before you ask, NO, you can't have one right now lol. You need a really mature tank and stronger lighting than a 70w MH, and you would need a protein skimmer because of the feeding requirements of the Anemone.

alexmurovec
No, A Bubble Coral is a coral, a Bubble-ti Anemone is an Anemone. And before you ask, NO, you can't have one right now lol. You need a really mature tank and stronger lighting than a 70w MH, and you would need a protein skimmer because of the feeding requirements of the Anemone.

yes, i am aware that i cannot have any type of BTA. i've been reading, and bubble corals need low light and low flow, i think i got a good spot of it(halfway inside a cave/overhang because its pretty low flow and half shaded). anyways, heres what i'm thinking of getting, tell me if you guys approve :lol:

1 yellow leather coral

1 green bubble coral

1 brown candy cane coral

1 brown frogspawn

i'm not going with the open brain just because i dont like the look of corals being on he sandbed, plus, i dont really have much room on the sandbed.

Archived