Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Alex's 20h

alexmurovec

alexmurovec

i've been pretty busy lately and haven't been thinking much about my tank. Which brings up the question...i just added the my CUC last friday and haven't even done one waterchange since my tank has been established (16 days ago). my params are still all at 0 so theres nothing toxic in my tank that needs to be fixed with a water change. i'm thinking to start 10% weekly water changes starting this weekend.

on another note, i still have a decent amount of hair algae which my CUC hasn't yet touched. i have 2 astrea snails and 2 hermits, so maybe they aren't the greatest for that particular algae? anyways, even if i do have a little bit of hair algae by this weekend, it still is safe to add some new things correct? i'm thinking of adding a few corals first, let them get established, and then add a clown or two. my tank params have been stable for 3 weeks, but it just seems to early to be adding any corals. i also want to add a red sea star, but i will do that once i get more in there so it wont starve.

any opinion is a good one.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Helpinsmepls

Nice tank pictures, I wish mine looked that good. Still waiting on my LR so im hoping that will make a difference.

I ordered online and the woman selling the rock seems really nice. Unfortunatly UPS added anouther day to the shipping. So my rock will be in a box for 4 days :(

As far as the seastars go I have no idea. I can tell you only what I have read. That is that you put the stars in last after everything else because they don't like bad water conditions. And im wondering if you my still get a cycle after you get a few more critters in your tank.

It seems strange that you have not had one.

But truly take my advice with a grain of salt. Im really new here and have my gehhto tank up if you care to take a peek.

alexmurovec
Nice tank pictures, I wish mine looked that good. Still waiting on my LR so im hoping that will make a difference.

I ordered online and the woman selling the rock seems really nice. Unfortunatly UPS added anouther day to the shipping. So my rock will be in a box for 4 days :(

As far as the seastars go I have no idea. I can tell you only what I have read. That is that you put the stars in last after everything else because they don't like bad water conditions. And im wondering if you my still get a cycle after you get a few more critters in your tank.

It seems strange that you have not had one.

But truly take my advice with a grain of salt. Im really new here and have my gehhto tank up if you care to take a peek.

yo, like i said, every opinion is a good one. as for starfish, that is what i have heard as well, last because they are pretty sensitive to saltinity changes and what not. you could be right, maybe after the snails and hermits i added start pooping i might start to see some ammonia which will almost seed the cycle. i dont know though, theres a decent amount stuff on the sandbed that wasn't originally there, die off i suppose. i'll keep testing this week, but if everything is going stable, i think i might attempt to add a couple zoos or something. any other experience people got a thought?

alexmurovec
Dude, you are so copying my scape, only reversed!

DSC_4100.jpg

ENLARGE

man, i only wish i could copy such a nice tank. i first saw your tank and was like, now this is why i wanna get a salt water. your pictures have such clarity and your tank is just wow! by the way, what kind of lighting with what bulb/s do you have? i really like the tint to it. and if you got any other info on my situation in the above post that would be awesome. peace.

You will know you tank is fully cycled not only after the test are good and consistent, but also when the tank has a consistent look to it, no more algae blooms for example.

I am using a 150w Current USA Sunpod with the stock bulb, I think it's a 15000k?

Thanks for the complements, I am sure that with time, you will to will be able to achieve the same as I.

alexmurovec
You will know you tank is fully cycled not only after the test are good and consistent, but also when the tank has a consistent look to it, no more algae blooms for example.

I am using a 150w Current USA Sunpod with the stock bulb, I think it's a 15000k?

Thanks for the complements, I am sure that with time, you will to will be able to achieve the same as I.

well my params have been stable since day 1, but then the algae started to bloom. i suppose that if my params are still stable and have been since day 1, algae isn't harmful like ammonia can be. i'll take it slow and watch everything grow. i think i'm going to do a 150W DIY MH and probably go with a 14,000k bulb. thanks for your help.

Helpinsmepls
There are more things that happen in a cycle other than just Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia. There are just some things we just can't test for, but are just as harmful, if not more than the Ammonia.

Here, read this. It's long, but worth it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=681528

Nice information. Really made something in my head click. It's really all about finding someone that knows what's going on and what's going to happen next.

Everything's got a time and a place.

I hope I can find someone to help me watch over my tank that is this smart :):D

Helpinsmepls

Alex what kind of substrate are you using? I like the look of it.

Just found out my crused coral is not the best thing for my tank. Im wondering how many other things im going to find out like this, lol.

If you can pls check my post out. Im going to have to make a mad dash to the petstore tommorrow it seems and I dont want to mess up again.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1121797

alexmurovec
Alex what kind of substrate are you using? I like the look of it.

Just found out my crused coral is not the best thing for my tank. Im wondering how many other things im going to find out like this, lol.

If you can pls check my post out. Im going to have to make a mad dash to the petstore tommorrow it seems and I dont want to mess up again.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1121797

i'm using the seachem meridian (brand and model) oolite aragonite (type of sand).

its a very fine sand and looks tan in the package, but under lighting, it brightens up to a nicer white. over a couple of weeks, what used to be sand seems to be more course now. alot of shell bits and rock bits have fallen off the rock or emerged from within the substrate. so its not completely fine grain sand, but for the most part it is. i like it, and i have heard lots of good reviews on it. i'll check out your forum and see what i can tell ya.

There are more things that happen in a cycle other than just Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia. There are just some things we just can't test for, but are just as harmful, if not more than the Ammonia.

Here, read this. It's long, but worth it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=681528

this article kind of confuses me. from what i read, its basically saying that a tank should take a year to fully cycle, and that we have tons of toxic chemicals we cant even test for that will kill fish within the first year. i see that you mentioned it would take about half the time in a nano, but still. this really opposes everyone on this site and how they setup their tanks. most people from what i've seen, have corals and fish in their tank by 2 months in, average. i don't know if personally you are trying to hinder me from adding some corals and fish until months down the road, but maybe make yourself a little more clear ;)

Haha

If your rock was really nasty/stinky (full of die off) then I would wait a really long time before adding FISH. Corals are allot more tolerant than fish are, so you can add those sooner.

The people that add fish and coral in 2 weeks are probably using rock from and established system. OR they are idiots and are going to kill a bunch of animals before they figure it all out lol.

When I first started, I killed 90% of all of my fish (the 10% were Damsels...) in the first year. I could never figure it out. I started to do some research and figured that because my rocks were not fully cured, I was killing my fish. BUT, on the flip side, corals did fine in my tank. Just something to think about.

A good thing to remember in this hobby is only bad things happen quickly. Patience in the key to everything.

I'm not sure why Mr. Borneman suggested that an aquarium couldn't support a fish for an entire year, but he's flat out wrong.

I guess he's trying to suggest that beginning aquarists usually kill fish, but the tank itself can definitely support them, and a beginning aquarist can definitely keep fish alive with a little bit of knowledge and patience.

alexmurovec
Haha

If your rock was really nasty/stinky (full of die off) then I would wait a really long time before adding FISH. Corals are allot more tolerant than fish are, so you can add those sooner.

The people that add fish and coral in 2 weeks are probably using rock from and established system. OR they are idiots and are going to kill a bunch of animals before they figure it all out lol.

When I first started, I killed 90% of all of my fish (the 10% were Damsels...) in the first year. I could never figure it out. I started to do some research and figured that because my rocks were not fully cured, I was killing my fish. BUT, on the flip side, corals did fine in my tank. Just something to think about.

A good thing to remember in this hobby is only bad things happen quickly. Patience in the key to everything.

thanks for your knowledge man, it's helpful. as for my rock, it never ever stunk one bit which confuses me. the rock came from a tank in the lfs that was just a rock tank, minimal light, etc. maybe it had been sitting in that tank for a couple months already, and had alot of the die off then, who knows. i know what you are trying to get across and i totally understand. i'll take it slow and i actually wanted to add a few corals before a fish. i'll see how it comes along, and ask any questions for the pros along the way, haha. i'll also post as many pictures as possible, like always. thanks again, alex.

alexmurovec
More pics pls, im watching you :P

its nice to see someone is. seems like i'm the only one on this forum, and am just posting to myself, haha. nothing really special has been going on in my tank. i still have a bunch of hair algae, and my one astrea snail is starting to work on it, but nothing too steady. the other one just chills on the rock or in the sand and doesn't work either which annoys me. i would also have to say the same for my hermits, they always just hide in the rocks with their little eyes poking out of their shell. i was told they would get used to the tank and start cleaning, but its been a week now, so i dont know what is up.

i will be recieving my 70W MH ballast tomorrow, and will make the pendant this weekend. all i need to get is the bulb, which might take some time. i dont think its worth it to put some corals in now, and then light acclimate them when i get my MH bulb. i'm kind of anxious to get another snail or two, but we'll see how it is by this weekend.

i'll take some pictures later on this evening and post them for you guys. thanks for keeping an eye on my project.

alexmurovec

i didn't get a chance to take pictures last night, so i just took a few. i also did a 20% water change, although my nitrates were originally at 0, maybe it will still reduce some of the hair algae, if not, i think i'm gonna have to get something that will actually eat it. my hermits do nothing, and my snails dont eat much of it. so here are a few pics.

alexsaltwater089.jpg

alexsaltwater091.jpg

alexsaltwater090.jpg

Helpinsmepls
i didn't get a chance to take pictures last night, so i just took a few. i also did a 20% water change, although my nitrates were originally at 0, maybe it will still reduce some of the hair algae, if not, i think i'm gonna have to get something that will actually eat it. my hermits do nothing, and my snails dont eat much of it. so here are a few pics.

alexsaltwater089.jpg

alexsaltwater091.jpg

alexsaltwater090.jpg

So is the green alge in the picture is the second stage of alge blooms. First being the brown alge?

alexmurovec

i never saw brown algae, maybe the tiniest bit on the substrate, but other than that, it went straight to green hair algae.

Helpinsmepls
i never saw brown algae, maybe the tiniest bit on the substrate, but other than that, it went straight to green hair algae.

Cool thx. Trying to keep track on what to expect with mine.

MacheteAvenue

hey, im from vernon and im just starting out to.. where did you get your live rock from?.. my set ups a bit like yours but i custom made my tank i thinks its about 18 gallons.. i will attach a picture.

post-27774-1177173180_thumb.jpg

alexmurovec
hey, im from vernon and im just starting out to.. where did you get your live rock from?.. my set ups a bit like yours but i custom made my tank i thinks its about 18 gallons.. i will attach a picture.

sweet looking tank man. post as many pictures as you can, i would love to see more detailed pictures of it. i got my live rock from vancouver when i was down there a couple weeks ago. it was 5.99 a pound compared to stupid 10 bucks a pound here in the okanagan. if your looking for some good quality rock, pet city in kelowna has some decent stuff, i think its 8.99 a pound. i'm thinking about coming down to AJ's sometime, do they got any decent stuff worth checking out? what are their prices on corals? do they sell small frags?

by the way, what type of lighting are you using on your tank, and what are the dimensions?

alexmurovec
what is your PO4 level?

0ppm and have been since the beginning of my tank. i have had my lights on for 8 hours this hole time, and maybe that is why i am having algae problems? algae feeds of phosphate and light right? so if my phosphates are at 0, would you suggest cutting back on light?

once i get my 70W astralux 14k i will be using metal halide lighting. since i'm going from compact flouresant to metal halide, should i really cut down the lighting? if i'm running 8 hours right now, which would be a good amount for metal halide?

I also just thought about my fuge light. there is a decent amount of spill over, and the tank is dimly lit when my main light isn't on. could this be seeding the algae?

Archived