Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Alex's 20h

alexmurovec

Yeah, the fuge light could be contributing to the algae grwoth, but very minimally. How old are the main PC bulbs?

I think it's just because your tank is still cycling.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alexmurovec
Yeah, the fuge light could be contributing to the algae grwoth, but very minimally. How old are the main PC bulbs?

I think it's just because your tank is still cycling.

PC bulbs are just as old as the tank, so 3 weeks now. i guess i'm just having a slowly cycle than most?

MacheteAvenue
sweet looking tank man. post as many pictures as you can, i would love to see more detailed pictures of it. i got my live rock from vancouver when i was down there a couple weeks ago. it was 5.99 a pound compared to stupid 10 bucks a pound here in the okanagan. if your looking for some good quality rock, pet city in kelowna has some decent stuff, i think its 8.99 a pound. i'm thinking about coming down to AJ's sometime, do they got any decent stuff worth checking out? what are their prices on corals? do they sell small frags?

by the way, what type of lighting are you using on your tank, and what are the dimensions?

thank you. i was goging to go to vancouver but my parents wouldnt led me there car and i dont trust mine to get me there safly.. and i didnt want to take it on the bus so i just started buying here.. aj's is pretty good there live rock isn't anythign special and its 9.99 for fiji and they have some other type for 11.99..

for corals they mostly have bigger stuff and not many frags. but im not sure if you have heard about this place http://www.reefkeepers.ca/ its a small at home busyness my syster told me about they are suposedly really awsome. i have been meaning to go check it out.

for my lighting i have the 70W MH 16.5in current usa sunpod witch i got off ebay.

My tank dimenions are 12.5D X 17L X 21H... haha dont ask me where i came up with them i figured id just make it really random like nothing else out there...

alexmurovec
I like to cycle a tank for at least 2 months.

what do you think about possible adding a emerald crab? i have heard they are risky, do you have any expierence with them? my tank may still be cycling, and that is why the algae is thriving. but, according to testable params, my tank is fine. i'll give it some more time, but just thought i'd ask if you thought it would be worth it, and safe, to add a emerald crab now. if the algae is eliminated by him, and does not grow back, i think its safe to assume my cycle is finished.

thank you. i was goging to go to vancouver but my parents wouldnt led me there car and i dont trust mine to get me there safly.. and i didnt want to take it on the bus so i just started buying here.. aj's is pretty good there live rock isn't anythign special and its 9.99 for fiji and they have some other type for 11.99..

for corals they mostly have bigger stuff and not many frags. but im not sure if you have heard about this place http://www.reefkeepers.ca/ its a small at home busyness my syster told me about they are suposedly really awsome. i have been meaning to go check it out.

for my lighting i have the 70W MH 16.5in current usa sunpod witch i got off ebay.

My tank dimenions are 12.5D X 17L X 21H... haha dont ask me where i came up with them i figured id just make it really random like nothing else out there...

i actually just found that place in the phone book about 20 minutes ago. it says something about come by appointment, but i'm gonna try and go check it out today. i also found another saltwater fish store based out of A-Z auto tech in kelowna. if they are open, i'm gonna check them out as well. i'll let you know how they are.

alexmurovec

heres a picture of the spill over, it doesn't do to much justice though.

alexsaltwater.jpg

Yeah, try the crab.

sorry about so many questions, but i got 2 more...

do you have emerald crabs in any of your tank/s?

do you find they can be dangerous towards corals and fish if not fed enough?

thanks again,

alex

I used to have one in a tank awhile back, but it ended up dieing for some reaso. it didn't bother to fish or corals, but I have heard stories of them eating coral, so idk, it's a hit-or-miss kinda thing I guess.

alexmurovec
I used to have one in a tank awhile back, but it ended up dieing for some reaso. it didn't bother to fish or corals, but I have heard stories of them eating coral, so idk, it's a hit-or-miss kinda thing I guess.

ok, thanks for your help, i really appreciate it. i'm gonna go get an emerald today and we'll see how that does. i do not have plans of adding fish for awhile, i am going to add corals first.

there was one article you talked about that suggested not to add fish within the first year. i know alot of people disagree with this, but i'm gonna try and stick to it. but, is it safe to add corals soon?

I'm watching ur tank also :D . I have heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about emerald crabs. I think they like bubble algae more than GHA. I've never had one so take that for what its worth. It's really up to you. I think you should loose the astrea snails (they never did any good for me) and get one sm. turbo. I know they get big and can knock/shift stuff, but one would keep a 20g spotless. Also get some (3-5) nasarius snails. They do a good job of keeping your sand clean an turning it over.

alexmurovec
I'm watching ur tank also :D . I have heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about emerald crabs. I think they like bubble algae more than GHA. I've never had one so take that for what its worth. It's really up to you. I think you should loose the astrea snails (they never did any good for me) and get one sm. turbo. I know they get big and can knock/shift stuff, but one would keep a 20g spotless. Also get some (3-5) nasarius snails. They do a good job of keeping your sand clean an turning it over.

its hard in this hobby, everyone has different opinions, and you really just gotta do what you think is best. i'm not that way though, i need a million opinions before i do something, haha. i was told that astrea snails were hands down the best snails out there, mine are still only like 1cm big, but sure dont do much. i'm considering buying 1 turbo snail before the emerald. i have the tinniest amount of bubble algae, so thats not a problem right now. but from what i read, i thought emeralds ate hair algae. anyways, a turbo shouldn't be a prlblem, because i plan on glueing my corals anyways. i need to get some nasarius snails as well, my sandbed is getting dirty, but i read that i should only get them after i have fish, so they have somethign to eat. thanks for your itnerest in my tank.

If you have live sand and LR then thats all your nas. snails need. They will eat stuff in the sandbed. I got my CUC like 3 months before I got ANY fish. They all did fine eating off the life from the LS and LR.

alexmurovec
If you have live sand and LR then thats all your nas. snails need. They will eat stuff in the sandbed. I got my CUC like 3 months before I got ANY fish. They all did fine eating off the life from the LS and LR.

i got live rock, but aragonite sand. it should be seeded by the live rock and become live over time though right?

alexmurovec
I guess. I would be good if you could go to a LFS and ask for a little bit of their sand to help seed it.

just some sand from their existing tank i'm assuming?

alexmurovec
Ya, that would be fine. Maybe about a cup. I've never done that cause I got live sand but other people suggest it.

thats what i have heard. by the way, does your turbo eat hair algae?

He did. BUT ITS ALL GONE. I wish I would have taken a pic of it when it was really bad, the GHA that is. I didn't take a pic cause I was embarrassed about how bad it looked. Yours is not even close to how bad mine got. There was about 80% coverage on the rocks, filters and PHs. Just about everything except for the glass. There is NONE left.

alexmurovec
He did. BUT ITS ALL GONE. I wish I would have taken a pic of it when it was really bad, the GHA that is. I didn't take a pic cause I was embarrassed about how bad it looked. Yours is not even close to how bad mine got. There was about 80% coverage on the rocks, filters and PHs. Just about everything except for the glass. There is NONE left.

looks like i'm gonna return those 2 astrea and get a turbo.

Not all turbo will eat it like that. I got two. Only one survived cause the other wouldn't eat the GHA. It couldn't get enough food cause it wouldn't eat the most prolific food source. Its kinda like starving to death cause the only thing to eat tastes like crap.

alexmurovec
Not all turbo will eat it like that. I got two. Only one survived cause the other wouldn't eat the GHA. It couldn't get enough food cause it wouldn't eat the most prolific food source. Its kinda like starving to death cause the only thing to eat tastes like crap.

well, all i can do is hope mine will eat gha :lol:

Ya, it is really hit or miss. If it won't it can still eat other algae like the film algae you would scrap off the glass with your magfloat. Mine makes it a lot easier for my magfloat. Some turbos will even eat cyano! :o

alexmurovec
Ya, it is really hit or miss. If it won't it can still eat other algae like the film algae you would scrap off the glass with your magfloat. Mine makes it a lot easier for my magfloat. Some turbos will even eat cyano! :o

cyano off the glas would be nice, but not off the rock.

alexmurovec
???

esplane

cyano=coraline, am i right am i right?

i did a quick google seach, man i suck, totally different stuff. ahahaha

Archived