ReefCleaners.org

Alex's 20h

alexmurovec

alexmurovec
a random picture for you all....

just a little update.

I have about 10 little bristle worms in my live rock and im not sure what i should do with them. any suggestions.. aswell i have a evil red eyed crab he doesnt really do anythign but run around the edge of my tanks mixing up my sand all night... not sure waht to do about that either...

bristle worms are bad from what i know, try to get rid of them somehow. if you take the rock they hide in out of the tank, they will try to look for water after a bit and scurry out of the rock, or you could dip the rock in freshwater. as for that coral, looks like a mushroom to me.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacheteAvenue
bristle worms are bad from what i know, try to get rid of them somehow. if you take the rock they hide in out of the tank, they will try to look for water after a bit and scurry out of the rock, or you could dip the rock in freshwater. as for that coral, looks like a mushroom to me.

hers a picture of one of the beasts... i just read abotu them a bit and some people say there alright and some people say there not.. so im watch and if i see them doing somethign i dont like i will geta bristle worm trap... if thats what they are?

post-27774-1177459986_thumb.jpg

alexmurovec

i don't have any experience with bristle worms so i can't help you. why dont you start your own thread and some people will guide you through it.

I don't have a thread up and running, but here is a recent picture of my tank.

I ended up with a ton of frags from the La Frag Swap, so I had to add more rock, thus turning the tank into a rock wall, I think it looks sweet.

FTS-1.jpg

ENLARGE

Thanks, although the right side is different, I ended up placing a Tunze DOC Nano Skimmer in the back right corner and building the rock work in front of it to hide it.

alexmurovec

theres nothing wrong with the hole rock back wall thing, i think it looks nice. do you guy your frags to the rocks? wouldn't that make it impossible to rescape your rock if you ever want to?

oh, and any idea on that picture i posted above? some sort of polyp or zoo?

It's some type of Colonial Polyp for sure, looks harmless and should make a nice colony some day.

No I don't glue my rock together, I do however glue my frags onto frag plugs.

alexmurovec
It's some type of Colonial Polyp for sure, looks harmless and should make a nice colony some day.

No I don't glue my rock together, I do however glue my frags onto frag plugs.

and the frag plugs are just set on the rock? i'm thinking of glueing all my corals to little pieces of lr rubble so i can move them around instead of glueing them to the rock. then again, it woulnd't really work with zoo colonies, because they'll just spread to your existing rock, off of the plug.

alexmurovec

i'll be building my canopy tomorrow after school. i'm going to use 1x6 boards, height wise, to sit on the rim of my tank. then i will add mdf wood, to go higher and lower than the 1x6, to cap off the stripping along the top of my tank, and so i can sit a lid on top in there. anyways, its probably pretty confusing as to what its going to look like, so i'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Hey alex, I'm just wondering how old you r? I'm 17. I like to know who all the teen reefers are on here. Who's in the same boat as me u know?

alexmurovec
Hey alex, I'm just wondering how old you r? I'm 17. I like to know who all the teen reefers are on here. Who's in the same boat as me u know?

i'm 16, and turn 17 at the end of october.

Sweeeeet. Do you have any sort of job or are you going to work this summer? I'm working this summer so hopefully my tank will "grow" faster. ;)

alexmurovec
Sweeeeet. Do you have any sort of job or are you going to work this summer? I'm working this summer so hopefully my tank will "grow" faster. ;)

i work every summer construction, and i worked at subway for a little this year. i don't spend much of my money, and have a decent amount saved up in the bank. about 7g to be exact :lol: i'm into snowboarding and may be going Am next year, so i'm saving some money because i'm moving to whistler.

alexmurovec

well, i dont know if anyone is following, but heres another update:

alexsaltwater110.jpg

alexsaltwater109.jpg

alexsaltwater112.jpg

alexsaltwater111.jpg

i just have one coat of primer, and coat of black on there right now. its still pretty thin, so i'm going to do at least one more coat of black. the canopy is pretty simple, just used some 1x6, height wise, that sit on the edge of the tank, then some 5/8 mdf that caps off the black coping on the tank, and keeping the lid from sliding around. all i need to do now is get a bracket to attach to the back of the canopy, and then i can hook up my metal halide.

heres a picture of something i found in my tank, i got no idea what it is. now that i'm typing, i'm thinking it could even be filter floss, haha. but anyways, heres a picture.

alexsaltwater114.jpg

i also have one little unknown thing, its just attached to my rock and is a brown/clear tube with holes in it, like a jellyfish or something, i really dont know. i couldn't really get any good pictures of it, but i'll try again later.

The canopy looks good.

I'm not sure what that thing is. It might be some sort of sponge.

How is ur cuc doing? How is the mushroom that you bought?

I AM WATCHING YOUR TANK. I check it every time I get on.

alexmurovec
The canopy looks good.

I'm not sure what that thing is. It might be some sort of sponge.

How is ur cuc doing? How is the mushroom that you bought?

I AM WATCHING YOUR TANK. I check it every time I get on.

well right now i have only 2 astrea snails, 1 turbo snail, and 2 red scarlets. the scarlets only come out at night, so they must be nocturnal, but i only really see one of them, searching for the second, same with the second astrea. the turbo is really the only snail that does anything, and still, there is a bunch of hair algae. he ate the stuff on the rocks, but not on the glass. i think i'm going to pick up another one. the mushroom i have hasn't yet fully opened, it only opens like 3 quarters. i've been testing my water steady, and no signs of phosphate, ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. i also bumped my light schedule down to 4 hours a day. i'm really waiting till i find a bulb for my mh pendant and then i can put my canopy on and i'll start getting some frags and what not. oh, and thanks for keepin an eye on my tank :lol:

alexmurovec

i just finished off the 3rd coat on my canopy. the sale on a 70W mh bulb is pending. now i'm going to go to the lfs and get another turbo snail, 1 just isn't enough i dont think. any other tips for getting rid of GHA?

alexmurovec

ok, i will try the tooth brush. the stuff on my rock that the turbo snail ate, hasn't grown back at all. i'm just gonna use the toothbrush in the tank and throw some filter floss in my overflow so it should catch all the gha floating around. once the hair algae is gone my tank is going to look alot better. i do have one patch of this brown plant like algae though, and nothing seems to touch it. lately theres been a few of these white little sponge things appearing on my rocks, could they be harmful?

These sponges are fine. They are just feeding off of the excess nutrients in ur tank. They should die off as they consume the nutrients. How is the shroom?

alexmurovec

the shroom has yet to fully extend and open, so i guess its not doing to well. i don't know if i want to do a water change every week while the tank is still young, whats your opinion? last time i did a water change was last weekend.

i scraped off the hair algae that was on my glass and rocks, and i also just did a general scrape all over my rocks, sure alot of dust kicked up. i also formed the sand a little more creatively, instead of just flat. is it ok to have the sand in little hills and stuff, or can it be harmful? although my tank is still merky, i attached a picture anyway, i will take one in a hour or so when its all cleared up.

i plan to wait till next weekend and if i still have no hair algae, i'm going to order a couple frags and some nassarius snails as well. what do you think i should go with for a few first frags?

saltwater.jpg

Archived