inTank Media Baskets

JBJ Nano Cube 28g HQI

Asin

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is a nice setup. I still can't get over the fact that the hood runs cooler than the regular PC cubes, its just amazing.

If you haven't already, you guys need to swing by and check it out, its awesome.

more pics being uploaded as we speak. will be up shortly. Please forgive the pics, this is a 'new crappy' camera I'm still getting used to. theres about 20 pics to follow....

Oh snaps! NICE! How much is it? Is there a venturi skimmer that will fit in the back instead of the air driven one?

here they are.....enjoy

28gcube002.jpg

28gcube003.jpg

28gcube001.jpg

28gcube004.jpg

28gcube005.jpg

28gcube006.jpg

28gcube007.jpg

28gcube010.jpg

28gcube011.jpg

28gcube012.jpg

28gcube012.jpg

28gcube016.jpg

28gcube018.jpg

28gcube015.jpg

28gcube013.jpg

28gcube019.jpg

28gcube020.jpg

28gcube021.jpg

28gcube022.jpg

sorry for all the protein skimmer shots, but mike wanted me to be sure and show it working

more pics being uploaded as we speak. will be up shortly. Please forgive the pics, this is a 'new crappy' camera I'm still getting used to. theres about 20 pics to follow....

here they are.....enjoy

Great pics, thanks for putting up more!

travisurfer

I'll have to be honest, that tank does look nice. I would still wait awhile just to be sure it holds up regardless though.

I'll have to be honest, that tank does look nice. I would still wait awhile just to be sure it holds up regardless though.

Go ahead, you know you want to pre-order it. :ninja:

travisurfer

For $500, I could order a 150w halide, ato, upgrade my pumps to maxi-jets, AND still have plenty of money left over to oodles of frags. -_-

Naturalreef

Go for it brother!

R20, thanks for the pictures..You hit every angle I was looking for which answered a lot of questions....absolutely beautiful tank! those pictures say it all and the skimmer looks like it's doing a great job with the dry foam...Going to have a lot of fun with this tank. R20 or Asin...is that tempered glass covering the light or some type of high heat lexan cover?

For $500, I could order a 150w halide, ato, upgrade my pumps to maxi-jets, AND still have plenty of money left over to oodles of frags. -_-
Go for it brother!

R20, thanks for the pictures..You hit every angle I was looking for which answered a lot of questions....absolutely beautiful tank! those pictures say it all and the skimmer looks like it's doing a great job with the dry foam...Going to have a lot of fun with this tank. R20 or Asin...is that tempered glass covering the light or some type of high heat lexan cover?

Its either plastic or acrylic. I assume its the same that was used on the other NC's, but I'm not 100% sure.

it was lexan iirc. (but I can always ask) or you can

Go for it brother!

Naturalreef

Just curious because when I put my 7 gallon cube together with a 70 watt halide with a piece of lexan , it still warped it and it was 4-6 inches away from the bulb with 2 fans blowing in for circ..

it was lexan iirc. (but I can always ask) or you can
Naturalreef

Actually the more I look at it, the more it looks like the middle of the shield is tempered glass with the outer edges being plastic....

Just curious because when I put my 7 gallon cube together with a 70 watt halide with a piece of lexan , it still warped it and it was 4-6 inches away from the bulb with 2 fans blowing in for circ..

Good day folks,

I've thrown my hat in the ring and pre-ordered this setup from Mike at Pacific Reef. He said that he had only 3 pre-order spots left open, so make that 2 left now that I've made the plung. The tanks are due to arrive at Pacific Reef approximately 1 - 1 1/2 weeks from now. :D

I've been lurking these boards for about a month now trying to learn as much as possible. I've studied up on most of the latest 20 - 35 gallon tanks and this setup seems like the best all-in-one available. No modding to do, just set it up and go slow. The only thing I'll be adding is a chiller since I live in Topanga Caynon in sunny southern California. (A heater is included in the pre-order deal)

BTW - The pre-order deal listed here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110615 includes:

28g Nano Cube HQI - $499.99

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_28g_nano.html

Stand - $129.99

* If you purchase both, you get a free 150w Stealth Heater *

No shipping, you can pick it up at the next Meet N' Swap or when it comes in approximately 1 - 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks again to Iz for helping us all out and setting up this sweet deal! :)

Peace, and safe travels,

Josza

Sub-Mariner
Good day folks,

I've thrown my hat in the ring and pre-ordered this setup from Mike at Pacific Reef. He said that he had only 3 pre-order spots left open, so make that 2 left now that I've made the plung. The tanks are due to arrive at Pacific Reef approximately 1 - 1 1/2 weeks from now. :D

I've been lurking these boards for about a month now trying to learn as much as possible. I've studied up on most of the latest 20 - 35 gallon tanks and this setup seems like the best all-in-one available. No modding to do, just set it up and go slow. The only thing I'll be adding is a chiller since I live in Topanga Caynon in sunny southern California. (A heater is included in the pre-order deal)

BTW - The pre-order deal listed here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110615 includes:

28g Nano Cube HQI - $499.99

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_28g_nano.html

Stand - $129.99

* If you purchase both, you get a free 150w Stealth Heater *

No shipping, you can pick it up at the next Meet N' Swap or when it comes in approximately 1 - 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks again to Iz for helping us all out and setting up this sweet deal! :)

Peace, and safe travels,

Josza

Congrats Josza - I hope that the setup is everything you wanted.

I am a newbie that has been surfing the boards for a bit now and am looking for some informed advice from the knowledgeable folks here.

I have done freshwater for a while and am looking for my first reef setup. I know one can run into some serious cost in this hobby, and in the interest of not getting completely out of control right away I am looking for an all-in-one setup that doesn't need a lot of modifications (if such a thing exists) for my first tank.

I first heard of the 12g nanocube DX at my LFS where I was told by someone who sounded knowledgeable (and worked at the store) that with 10% weekly water changes, all that was needed was a heater, live rock and power head(s). His reasoning for this was based on the small total volume. One was set up in the store and it looked great to me. With only a few minutes every week and with cost <$400 for the whole setup (with a cheap skimmer but before livestock) my two main concerns about getting into the hobby (high cost and maintenance time) seemed to be addressed.

After going to the JBJ website I saw their other products - the 24 DX and new 28 HQI. Looking at the HQI, it included much of the equipment needed to supplement the 12g model, and with the added volume, lights and wavemaker seemed looked like it was worth the extra $200 or so (after the discount you guys are getting). $600 is tolerable for me(for a complete set up - adding LR and a heater), so I took a hard look at it and read your posts on it. To be honest I got pretty enthusiastic about it, and later went back to the LFS to tell the guy I had talked to about the idea of going with the 28g HQI. I was somewhat disappointed to hear that he had several concerns:

1. The volume of a set up that could be handled through water changes was about 20g and this crossed that threshold. Specifically the skimmer should be a 'venturi type' and one that would do the job would be about $200.

2. He didn't believe that they would be able to get the heat from the MH out enough to avoid requiring a chiller. If one was needed it would cost $300.

3. He thought that 14K was too high, citing experience with 10K+actinic being the best way to go.

I have seen in posts here similar concerns about the protein skimmer. I would like to hear informed viewpoints on these concerns if possible.

Is it likely that this set up would perform adequately out of the box no mods)? Would a better skimmer definitely be needed? Could it be substituted into the existing system without a major operation? Would a chiller definitely be needed? It seems that this would be rather clear-cut and if the one post on the temperatures is representative, perhaps the answer is no, but what do people think? Is 14K an adequate lighting choice or clearly not? Maybe this is what you have all been discussing but in case I need to catch up with everyone it would help a lot to hear from people. I guess I'm trying to figure out the right way to do things and how much total cost I am looking at if I get this system.

Thanks in advance for the info and apologies for the length of the post...

SM

P.S. Josza you might want to check the deal you got because I talked to Mike yesterday and he said the deal you mentioned is the 'old one' and the new one is the 28g for $429 instead of $499. All other items regular price.

I am a newbie that has been surfing the boards for a bit now and am looking for some informed advice from the knowledgeable folks here.

I have done freshwater for a while and am looking for my first reef setup. I know one can run into some serious cost in this hobby, and in the interest of not getting completely out of control right away I am looking for an all-in-one setup that doesn't need a lot of modifications (if such a thing exists) for my first tank.

I first heard of the 12g nanocube DX at my LFS where I was told by someone who sounded knowledgeable (and worked at the store) that with 10% weekly water changes, all that was needed was a heater, live rock and power head(s). His reasoning for this was based on the small total volume. One was set up in the store and it looked great to me. With only a few minutes every week and with cost <$400 for the whole setup (with a cheap skimmer but before livestock) my two main concerns about getting into the hobby (high cost and maintenance time) seemed to be addressed.

After going to the JBJ website I saw their other products - the 24 DX and new 28 HQI. Looking at the HQI, it included much of the equipment needed to supplement the 12g model, and with the added volume, lights and wavemaker seemed looked like it was worth the extra $200 or so (after the discount you guys are getting). $600 is tolerable for me(for a complete set up - adding LR and a heater), so I took a hard look at it and read your posts on it. To be honest I got pretty enthusiastic about it, and later went back to the LFS to tell the guy I had talked to about the idea of going with the 28g HQI. I was somewhat disappointed to hear that he had several concerns:

1. The volume of a set up that could be handled through water changes was about 20g and this crossed that threshold. Specifically the skimmer should be a 'venturi type' and one that would do the job would be about $200.

2. He didn't believe that they would be able to get the heat from the MH out enough to avoid requiring a chiller. If one was needed it would cost $300.

3. He thought that 14K was too high, citing experience with 10K+actinic being the best way to go.

I have seen in posts here similar concerns about the protein skimmer. I would like to hear informed viewpoints on these concerns if possible.

Is it likely that this set up would perform adequately out of the box no mods)? Would a better skimmer definitely be needed? Could it be substituted into the existing system without a major operation? Would a chiller definitely be needed? It seems that this would be rather clear-cut and if the one post on the temperatures is representative, perhaps the answer is no, but what do people think? Is 14K an adequate lighting choice or clearly not? Maybe this is what you have all been discussing but in case I need to catch up with everyone it would help a lot to hear from people. I guess I'm trying to figure out the right way to do things and how much total cost I am looking at if I get this system.

SM

P.S. Josza you might want to check the deal you got because I talked to Mike yesterday and he said the deal you mentioned is the 'old one' and the new one is the 28g for $429 instead of $499. All other items regular price.

I'm a fan of 14ks so no problem for me there...:) I'm not sure if everybody would want a skimmer...esp. some of the zoa addicts out there that firmly believes that no skimmer's better for their zoas. I personally have a skimmer I could switch out from another tank. It seems really really nice though. Especially the closed top MH system...even though it does bring the issue of heat into the discussion. If it really could keep a stable temp. without requiring a chiller, I'm ditching my AP24 and getting the JBJ! (Close top also meaning Helfrich, gobies, blennies, or any other carpet surfing critters I always wanted to keep...:) I'll most likely wait few more months for a full review though...just to be sure.

SM

I found that post about 10 minutes after I left this post and called Mike up. :P He updated the order for me to reflect the other pricing listed. Actually, I changed the order to include the 'Start up Kit' which was tank, stand, 35 lbs Fiji premium rock, 20 lbs. live sand, 20 gallon RO salt water in 4 jugs, 150w heater. Mike is a real stand up guy and changed the order for me, which ended up saving me close to $100. So hats off to Mike! :D

Mike said his JBJ HQI has been up and running for a while and the temps are staying around 79 degrees. He said the hottest it's gotten has been 81 degrees, which I believe is still acceptable for the most part, but I'll let some of the experts here weigh in on that. Running without a chiller is not an option for me since where I live it gets in the 90's - 100's during the summer and I don't run my air conditioning while we're at work. Ambient temperature in my house will get up to 85 at least during those times and I'd rather spend the $300 on the chiller and save on the electric bill. ;)

I decided on the 28 gallon specifically because I won't have the room to run a separate refugium and needed the extra capacity to help maintain the ideal water parameters.

I too initially looked at smaller/cheaper setups, but decided I’d rather spend a little more up front and not have to upgrade later on. Even though I plan on starting out REAL slow, eventually down the line when I get better at maintaining the tank I’d like to have a clam and couple of SPS coral in the tank, so opted for the halide lights.

I’m excited and looking forward to getting everything running. My only regret is that I will not have enough time to cycle my tank and get it in the shape it needs to be before the Meet n Swap. However, my wife and I will still be there taking copious notes and pictures so we can plan for our future setup.

Peace, and safe travels,

JoJo

I'm glad you were able to get the new deal. Mike is a great guy and has helped me out quite a bit with the swaps. Make sure you look for me and say hi at the swap!

Congrats again on the JBJ!

-Iz

Naturalreef

Hey Sub,

Please understand that everything a LFS tells you is not Gospel...This is speaking from experience. The best bet is grabbing all the information you can from good resources such as Nano-reef.com, search engines and swap meets. This will give you the best ammo at a successful setup. Go slow and never stop researching!

Now as for the 28 hqi....I used a 20k halide on a 7.5 gallon setup and all my corals,sps,lps thrived...you really have to research what you want in your tank and make sure "all" of them will be happy with the lighting system you choose..so the 14k may be lower on the par than a 10k, but you can move light loving corals up if need be...the skimmer on the hqi seemed to be doing its job from the great pictures provided by Asin and Jim. I had a basic air stone driven skimmer on my 7.5 cube and it pulled a lot of junk consistently...the hqi has a counter current skimmer which is even more efficient. Could it be better? heck yes, but for what this setup includes for the price I grabbed it at, Imo is the most complete setup I could find at the moment. I remember when they said a nano-reef was impossible??? We have so many talented individuals to learn from on here...the LFS's are the minority when it comes to updated info on small reefs..

I'll be glad to test this setup and post my findings for others, that is the beauty of this website...They say a picture is worth a thousand words...and from the pics I have seen of this setup along with the temps posted makes me feel like I have made a good buy.

Nick

SM

Sub-Mariner
Hey Sub,

Please understand that everything a LFS tells you is not Gospel...This is speaking from experience. The best bet is grabbing all the information you can from good resources such as Nano-reef.com, search engines and swap meets. This will give you the best ammo at a successful setup. Go slow and never stop researching!

Now as for the 28 hqi....I used a 20k halide on a 7.5 gallon setup and all my corals,sps,lps thrived...you really have to research what you want in your tank and make sure "all" of them will be happy with the lighting system you choose..so the 14k may be lower on the par than a 10k, but you can move light loving corals up if need be...the skimmer on the hqi seemed to be doing its job from the great pictures provided by Asin and Jim. I had a basic air stone driven skimmer on my 7.5 cube and it pulled a lot of junk consistently...the hqi has a counter current skimmer which is even more efficient. Could it be better? heck yes, but for what this setup includes for the price I grabbed it at, Imo is the most complete setup I could find at the moment. I remember when they said a nano-reef was impossible??? We have so many talented individuals to learn from on here...the LFS's are the minority when it comes to updated info on small reefs..

I'll be glad to test this setup and post my findings for others, that is the beauty of this website...They say a picture is worth a thousand words...and from the pics I have seen of this setup along with the temps posted makes me feel like I have made a good buy.

Nick

Thanks for sharing your experience on the higher K halides. I don't have specific corals right now that I want to put in, just looking for a generally good set up that offers flexibility and won't require upgrading right away if I decide to get a little more ambitious.

It sounds like generally good news that if the temps are acceptable for most livestock (I'm more interested in coral and invertebrates than fish) and the skimmer is acceptable that this set up may not require modification to make a generally good set up. That's what I'm looking for at the moment - a solid setup that requires minimal mods. I am considering taking the plunge, especially if the sale is still on.

Does anyone reccommend mods to this set up as it is?

Thanks,

sub

Naturalreef

Sub,

I can't see any worthwhile mods right now for the hqi system. From what everyone has seen of the hqi in action it is running cool, with a killer light setup and the skimmer is pulling some good foam. I was thinking about many different tanks to start up and mod the heck out of them, but came to the conclusion that I don't have the time. So I was on the search for a system that was as complete as possible for the lowest price. I was very close to grabbing the Red Sea combo for a good price, but couldn't let go that it had pc's versus Halide. Once you have seen Halide in action, it is "very" hard to go back to Pc's. The Nanocube Hqi seems like it would last the longest without modding it...again not the perfect All-in-one, but close enough and at a great price to boot. That's why I'm very happy to see that the Hqi at Pacific Reef has been performing so well.....But in the end..To each his/her own:)

Nick

Thanks for sharing your experience on the higher K halides. I don't have specific corals right now that I want to put in, just looking for a generally good set up that offers flexibility and won't require upgrading right away if I decide to get a little more ambitious.

It sounds like generally good news that if the temps are acceptable for most livestock (I'm more interested in coral and invertebrates than fish) and the skimmer is acceptable that this set up may not require modification to make a generally good set up. That's what I'm looking for at the moment - a solid setup that requires minimal mods. I am considering taking the plunge, especially if the sale is still on.

Does anyone reccommend mods to this set up as it is?

Thanks,

sub

Sub-Mariner
Sub,

I can't see any worthwhile mods right now for the hqi system. From what everyone has seen of the hqi in action it is running cool, with a killer light setup and the skimmer is pulling some good foam. I was thinking about many different tanks to start up and mod the heck out of them, but came to the conclusion that I don't have the time. So I was on the search for a system that was as complete as possible for the lowest price. I was very close to grabbing the Red Sea combo for a good price, but couldn't let go that it had pc's versus Halide. Once you have seen Halide in action, it is "very" hard to go back to Pc's. The Nanocube Hqi seems like it would last the longest without modding it...again not the perfect All-in-one, but close enough and at a great price to boot. That's why I'm very happy to see that the Hqi at Pacific Reef has been performing so well.....But in the end..To each his/her own:)

Nick

Nick,

I went down to pacific reef yesterday. I was there for about 4 hours just looking at all the inventory. I signed up for the jbj hqi before leaving. From what Mike said, you were probably the one before me to get in line. He and Steve also said that it is clearing customs and should be here in 1-2 weeks. I took the plunge and now I can't wait! I was thinking about the RSM also but I think I'd like to get one of those cool clams...

Chris

Sub-Mariner

I found that post about 10 minutes after I left this post and called Mike up. :P He updated the order for me to reflect the other pricing listed. Actually, I changed the order to include the 'Start up Kit' which was tank, stand, 35 lbs Fiji premium rock, 20 lbs. live sand, 20 gallon RO salt water in 4 jugs, 150w heater. Mike is a real stand up guy and changed the order for me, which ended up saving me close to $100. So hats off to Mike! :D

Hey Nick,

What did he end up charging you for the startup kit?

Chris

Naturalreef

Hey Sub,

I actually ordered mine from Jbj, they had similiar pricing on the hqi. I would of loved to order one from Mike at Pacific Reef since he seemed like a stand-up guy and I like supporting responsible Lfs's, but since I live in Illinois he couldn't ship the tank. I also heard it was clearing customs so it should be here soon. I'm still searching for a solid stand as I'm not crazy about the one jbj makes and also I prefer it to be a little higher out of reach of my 2yo. I may purchase the Red Sea Max stand. It seemed very sturdy and stood a little higher than the jbj stand. I think with the lighting, skimmer, wavemaker,etc... whatever livestock you choose will be very happy...

Nick

Nick,

I went down to pacific reef yesterday. I was there for about 4 hours just looking at all the inventory. I signed up for the jbj hqi before leaving. From what Mike said, you were probably the one before me to get in line. He and Steve also said that it is clearing customs and should be here in 1-2 weeks. I took the plunge and now I can't wait! I was thinking about the RSM also but I think I'd like to get one of those cool clams...

Chris

Archived