inTank Media Baskets

JBJ Nano Cube 28g HQI

Asin

I still dont fully trust a company that puts an air stone skimmer in a $500 all-in-one. :)

I will be eagerly watching the guinea pig threads.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still dont fully trust a company that puts an air stone skimmer in a $500 all-in-one. :)

I will be eagerly watching the guinea pig threads.

if it had a "real" skimmer, it would probbaly cost more then $500. i think the skimmer is the last thing i would be worried about. as long os the lighting works and the temps stay down i can deal with the cheap skimmer.

Cost is the last thing I am worried about. I pay for quality...as anyone would.

I drive a very nice car and I paid a lot of money for it, but I dont want to have to buy the car and then shell out more money so that it sounds good. There is a reason car companies started contracting with companies like Bose and Boston...they saw that their product needed to be the best they could make and not leave the customer wanting something more.

Until that happens there will be people like nanotuners.com that will upgrade these tanks and make them suitable for the advanced aquarist and not just the beginner or midrange person.

Now...they have some great features to the tank, but why not have a more powerful skimmer? Why not include PC or T5 supplemental actinic lighting in the hood?

From the pictures I have seen it looks like it still has the same type of rear-chamber intake screen as the nanocubes.

Even their advertisement says that they were inspired by "hundreds of hobbyists" and designed this tank with that in mind.

So based on what they turned out it says to me that they feel the 2 most important issues to the "hobbyist" is (1) MH lighting and (2) wavemaking ability.

Again...what about actinic lighting? Even their nanocube offers that.

What about a functional intake screen? They make an after-market part for that...so they KNOW the issue exists.

Why not a good protein skimmer? Can I get mine for less than $500 if they dont include a piece that I am going to have to throw away, modify or sell on ebay to a layperson?

Why not an integrated refugium section?

Finnex got it right: fuge chamber + light, great overflow, lighting with actinic supplementation...and they were smart enough to leave the protein skimmer out of the equation.

I dont know why people are getting so defensive over this tank...you would think they designed it or had stock in JBJ.

As a consumer you need to point out what you like and dislike about a product...thats called a FOCUS GROUP. Well, if JBJ isnt holding formal focus groups then this is the place for it. This is where they can get information about what people like and dont like about the tank.

So...Im not "hating" or saying that JBJ didnt make a valiant effort, but they basically took a nanocube, threw in a MH and included a (likely) worthless protein skimmer.

Unfortunately there isnt an all-in-one out there that appeals to the advanced hobbyist that doesnt need to be significantly modified in some way. Modifications cost money and deter people from buying the product in the first place.

For just a little more money I can get a 30g cube setup and do it the way I want.

The JBJ with stand will run you $630.00. Thats a lot of money for a product that doesnt offer everything I need or want. But maybe I just expect more for my money than some people.

I drive a very nice car and I paid a lot of money for it, but I dont want to have to buy the car and then shell out more money so that it sounds good. There is a reason car companies started contracting with companies like Bose and Boston...they saw that their product needed to be the best they could make and not leave the customer wanting something more.

Until that happens there will be people like nanotuners.com that will upgrade these tanks and make them suitable for the advanced aquarist and not just the beginner or midrange person.

Now...they have some great features to the tank, but why not have a more powerful skimmer? Why not include PC or T5 supplemental actinic lighting in the hood?

From the pictures I have seen it looks like it still has the same type of rear-chamber intake screen as the nanocubes.

Even their advertisement says that they were inspired by "hundreds of hobbyists" and designed this tank with that in mind.

So based on what they turned out it says to me that they feel the 2 most important issues to the "hobbyist" is (1) MH lighting and (2) wavemaking ability.

Again...what about actinic lighting? Even their nanocube offers that.

What about a functional intake screen? They make an after-market part for that...so they KNOW the issue exists.

Why not a good protein skimmer? Can I get mine for less than $500 if they dont include a piece that I am going to have to throw away, modify or sell on ebay to a layperson?

Why not an integrated refugium section?

Finnex got it right: fuge chamber + light, great overflow, lighting with actinic supplementation...and they were smart enough to leave the protein skimmer out of the equation.

I dont know why people are getting so defensive over this tank...you would think they designed it or had stock in JBJ.

As a consumer you need to point out what you like and dislike about a product...thats called a FOCUS GROUP. Well, if JBJ isnt holding formal focus groups then this is the place for it. This is where they can get information about what people like and dont like about the tank.

So...Im not "hating" or saying that JBJ didnt make a valiant effort, but they basically took a nanocube, threw in a MH and included a (likely) worthless protein skimmer.

Unfortunately there isnt an all-in-one out there that appeals to the advanced hobbyist that doesnt need to be significantly modified in some way. Modifications cost money and deter people from buying the product in the first place.

For just a little more money I can get a 30g cube setup and do it the way I want.

The JBJ with stand will run you $630.00. Thats a lot of money for a product that doesnt offer everything I need or want. But maybe I just expect more for my money than some people.

Ok Mr. Bling Bling. Most people like myself dont have the "never ending money tree" that you have. I saw the 28gal. Nano and what I saw was a quality all in one aquarium for the price. I pre-ordered one and two of my friends did also. The skimmer on the cube was skimming when I was there. It is not the best but it was skimming. I will use it for now and see how it works.

You are a person that is not happy with anything. Maybe you would also want a built-in 15" DVD player, a coffee maker, stock report display, and a BOSE system like the one in your fancy car on the 28 gal. cube. Maybe JBJ can also put a robotic brain in the cube so it can clean your house and do your laundry...

This is what you said "Modifications cost money and deter people from buying the product in the first place." And you wanted what again... :huh:

If you had SEEN the 28gal., it does not need a intake screen cover like the 24 gal cube. It is now built-in the cube.

Very weird, I don't understand the aggression/defensiveness towards people with questions about the product.

I think the point some people are trying to make is that if a company is marketing a product towards the "high end" of a particular market, it is usually better to *leave something out* than it is to put in a cheap component. If a person buys a $7000 car and the cigarette lighter breaks the first day, it is almost to be expected. If one buys a $70,000 Mercedes and the cigarette lighter breaks the first day, it is likely to spark outrage. :lol:

I don't know enough about the new JBJ, its skimmer, or skimmers in general to know whether it is junk. I'm just making a general point.

The tank looks pretty nice though. :)

Ok Mr. Bling Bling. Most people like myself dont have the "never ending money tree" that you have. I saw the 28gal. Nano and what I saw was a quality all in one aquarium for the price. I pre-ordered one and two of my friends did also. The skimmer on the cube was skimming when I was there. It is not the best but it was skimming. I will use it for now and see how it works.

You are a person that is not happy with anything. Maybe you would also want a built-in 15" DVD player, a coffee maker, stock report display, and a BOSE system like the one in your fancy car on the 28 gal. cube. Maybe JBJ can also put a robotic brain in the cube so it can clean your house and do your laundry...

This is what you said "Modifications cost money and deter people from buying the product in the first place." And you wanted what again... :huh:

If you had SEEN the 28gal., it does not need a intake screen cover like the 24 gal cube. It is now built-in the cube.

Now, you seem like youre just a kid so I cant get upset about your ignorant statements and lack of comprehension of my previous post.

For the price of the 28g HQI you could do a lot better with a custom 30g cube.

So who is the one acting like they have "bling"? Seems like Im acting like the financially sensible one.

You bought the HQI...you are one of those people WOWed by the next new product, despite the past records of the other items from the company.

I have a new Skilter filter if you are interested.

I was merely making a point and you misconstrued the entire message. Shame.

I think the point some people are trying to make is that if a company is marketing a product towards the "high end" of a particular market, it is usually better to *leave something out* than it is to put in a cheap component.

Exactly. Thank you.

Now, you seem like you're just a kid so I cant get upset about your ignorant statements and lack of comprehension of my previous post.

For the price of the 28g HQI you could do a lot better with a custom 30g cube.

So who is the one acting like they have "bling"? Seems like Im acting like the financially sensible one.

You bought the HQI...you are one of those people WOWed by the next new product, despite the past records of the other items from the company.

I have a new Skilter filter if you are interested.

I was merely making a point and you misconstrued the entire message. Shame.

Exactly. Thank you.

Ok bro I have seen at least 10 of your recent post and all most all of them have had a condescending arrogant overtone!

if you are going to talk down to most of the member of this board perhaps you would be happier else where?!

I mean come on Red Sea max has a skimmer therefore anyone with a clue about marketing would know a skimmer even low end as you cry about is still a needed item to go up against the competitors version.

if they added every item we all wanted it would run to high for most of us in the hobby.

the design is nice and of course i myself agree i would like to see actinic supplementation as well but that adds more heat and more money to the cube.

for $500 dollars if the heat is not a huge issue (yes after replacing the pumps and making other basic mods) then it will be the tank to have.

Sure the finnex as you mentioned is a top end awesome tank and I myself have been giving it great thought and consideration but some people prefer the closed hood look.

until someone has it on the boards and with test results why make accusations about an item.

lets keep it clean and have fun sheeesh

FYI, most Finnex tanks COME with a protein skimmer, my 30g glass did at least as well as the 22g glass models they made. Granted it's not the best one around, but it comes with one no-less.

Only higher end models of cars or higher end cars come with brand name audio systems. Actually ALL cars come with brand name of some sort... My Civic came with an Alpine manufactured headunit and Pioneer speakers, but all OEm of course so not the best by any means. But the Boston and Bose systems are just a nice system not necessarily for thew audio aficiando. There's always people out there that can outfit something good with something better. I'm sure my custom Infinity and Alpine system would blow those other 2 systems away. Unless it comes with the best off the bat (i.e. a Foe's Fab mountain bike frame outfitted with Shimano XTR drivetrain and Hayes discs) there's always going to be room and/or someone to upgrade it. But I do agree that custom is always the way to go. All-in-one usually won't offer everything people want without complaints or request for improvement or need for modification. Isn't Nanotuners already working on a 250w MH retrofit for the JBJ 28g?

All-in-one usually won't offer everything people want without complaints or request for improvement or need for modification.

Agreed, but offering the best from one aspect (water movement and halide lighting) while being ### poor in other areas (poor overflow intake, protein skimmer and no actinics) makes no sense.

If youre going to create a new product, make it the right way.

I highly doubt adding a 32w actinic bulb would "add to the heat and cost" as one person said. How much MORE heat would that throw out compared to the 150w halide? And how much more would it cost? $40?

Hell...forget the crap protein skimmer, put the actinic lights in and then let people buy their own skimmer to go in the tank.

At least 4 people here have said that they think all these improvement would have added to the cost of the tank so that "most people couldnt afford it."

So...youre not willing to pay an additional $100-$200 up front for better equipment, but you will stock the tank with $50-$100 acro frags, clams and acans?

Get your priorities straight and start demanding a better product out of the box instead of relying on "nanotuners to upgrade it" or spending more money later to make it work for the advanced reefer.

Again...I dont know why a lot of you have your panties in a bunch. Maybe you pre-ordered and paid for the tank before you thought about the things I am mentioning now...buyers remorse.

I can understand backing a product...but backing a product that has yet to sit in your living room? Ridiculous. Now questioning the flaws of a product makes the second and third versions/generations that much better.

I honestly can't imagine a tank that satisfies all and is "perfect" in all aspects. Make it near perfect, and it'll be too expensive from most. there's always a compremise to a benifit unfortunately... =/

fraggle rockette

if they are looking for a guinea pig and want to mail a free one to said gp, they can pm me and i'll run their fancy new tank thru the gamut- upgrade!!! lol. i'll even keep a detailed blog! :D seriously tho...

you guys should check out the 34G from cadlights, its got 150w MH lights, 2 24w actinics t5, huge refugium for upgrades and equipment space, bottom return and the tank LOOKS AWESOME!

initially i added up all the costs and decided between the Red sea max or the Cadlights. but the Cadlights beat the Max in the lighting and the refugium section so i went with the Cadlights.

i ordered one, it will come in next week. i'll post some pics

so excited to finally have the tank i have been dreaming about!!

ReefApprentice

Hey ASIN I might be down for one. These are awesome! The skimmer is relatively effcient, prolly the same as Seaclone. I might get one and make it SPS and Clam only. I am sick of putting SPS in my 10g and them dying haha. I think JBJ really came through this time, and they came up with a GREAT product. I saw it for myself, and its one helluva nice piece of equipment.

Hey ASIN I might be down for one. These are awesome! The skimmer is relatively effcient, prolly the same as Seaclone. I might get one and make it SPS and Clam only. I am sick of putting SPS in my 10g and them dying haha. I think JBJ really came through this time, and they came up with a GREAT product. I saw it for myself, and its one helluva nice piece of equipment.

It is really awesome. Make sure you tell Mike you are from NR.com so that you get our discount price.

you guys should check out the 34G from cadlights, its got 150w MH lights, 2 24w actinics t5, huge refugium for upgrades and equipment space, bottom return and the tank LOOKS AWESOME!

initially i added up all the costs and decided between the Red sea max or the Cadlights. but the Cadlights beat the Max in the lighting and the refugium section so i went with the Cadlights.

i ordered one, it will come in next week. i'll post some pics

so excited to finally have the tank i have been dreaming about!!

This thread is really about the JBJ 28g HQI and how it holds up. Yes the Cadlights is nice, but it's open topped. NO ONE else successfully makes a CLOSED topped cube with metal halide that doesn't have a heat issue. In fact no one really makes one with PC lighting that doesn't have a heat issue. Given what I've heard from both JBJ about the 28g and what Pacific Reef has observed with the one they have on display, I'd hands down get it verses the Cadlights. Why? For one it's enclosed and doesn't overheat, the ventilation design in it is brilliant!! Also it's cheaper than the Cadlights, and best of all it comes with a skimmer, the Cadlights does not.

Anyways, you're comparing the Cadlights to the Red Sea Max, this thread is about the JBJ 150w MH model, not the RSM. Also the Cadlights tank is 35g, not 34g. ;) And hands down for a cheaper price, my Finnex 30g with MH beats the Cadlights. Also has a skimmer, a MUCH more powerful pump, and a bigger fuge space.

Now let's carry on with the JBJ 28g HQI!! B)

I have been at PR way to much lately, taking measurements, planning mods and most important watching the temp. So far it has not gone over 80 and one day it was about 85 ambient or so.

Asin are you going to take a pic of this tank at your LFS?

I already did, I will post them up this evening. I apologize, I was really busy last night and I didn't get a chance to post them.

-Iz

I already did, I will post them up this evening. I apologize, I was really busy last night and I didn't get a chance to post them.

-Iz

Yes, he was cleaning up from the fire. :P

if anyone wants more pics (from a crappy cam) I can provide once the others are posted. its only blocks from my house.

but it is beautiful and ran quite and cool (right around 80)

Yes, he was cleaning up from the fire. :P

Here are the pics of the JBJ NC28 HQI from Pacific Reef:

NC28_01.jpg

NC28_02.jpg

NC28_03.jpg

NC28_04.jpg

NC28_05.jpg

NC28_06.jpg

NC28_07.jpg

NC28_08.jpg

NC28_09.jpg

NC28_10.jpg