Cultivated Reef

Nanoty's Nanocube DX (Updated, MH retro)

nanoty

Thanks, the final config isnt any different and yes I did add the rear fan. I don't think it's very efficient as I think most of the air is deflected into the rear chambers. I am sure it helps but I am thinking of a way to direct the airflow to the water surface.

Yup, you actually want air flowing over "minimal" surface area (that's why the rear scroll fan just moves air around the rear chambers).

As you'll see by increasing the voltage on the scroll fan, it'll significantly increase evaporation without much more temperature drop. If you run it over more surface area, you'll get the same problem.

So be careful where else you point that fan. You might get more evaporation without any more cooling :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanks looking very good! Keep up the good work.

Just a little off topic here but I can't find this answer anywhere in your post..

how much LR do you have in your tank?

Allen :)

Tanks looking very good! Keep up the good work.

Just a little off topic here but I can't find this answer anywhere in your post..

how much LR do you have in your tank?

There is about 13-14 lbs of crappy LFS LR in the main tank and about 2 lbs of rubble in the back. I was going to get more but I figured I would leave a little space to add frags that are already on rocks. Thanks for looking guys, the tank is really starting to move now. BTW anyone have suggestions for getting rid of this hair algae?

There is about 13-14 lbs of crappy LFS LR in the main tank and about 2 lbs of rubble in the back. I was going to get more but I figured I would leave a little space to add frags that are already on rocks. Thanks for looking guys, the tank is really starting to move now. BTW anyone have suggestions for getting rid of this hair algae?

Did you get rid of/reduce your hair algae?

How about some new tank shots :)

Allen

Did you get rid of/reduce your hair algae?

How about some new tank shots :)

Allen

Hell no, I just pulled a truckload out by hand. Well maybe not that much but it's still going strong. Also I got back in town today to find a small patch of freaking cyano on my green star polyps. I am at a loss. I bought a frogspawn frag with 2 heads as well as a hammer while out of town and they have been added to the tank. I really want to get all of this under control before taking any more pics.

On the same note I am having difficulty with placement of my frags. I liked my aquascape at first but I have found it extremely hard to find enough crevices and flat spots to add frags. I tried moving things around but can't seem to find a suitable arrangement. I am seriously contemplating ordering a bunch of small, fist sized rocks and curing them in another tank. Then building a large mount against the back of the tank to ensure places to put my frags. Either that or trying to break my larger pieces up into smaller pieces but I might need some more in the end. Anyone have any ideas on that subject? I am trying to be patient but it is wearing thin.

I decided to post a couple of pics of the corals I bought this weekend and a shot of the cyano on my GSPs. My LFS had some stuff they used in their nano that they said cleared their algae up in one day and while I'm always reluctant to add chemicals to my tank I really want to get rid of this crap. Time will tell if its the right choice.

Here is a shot of the hammer.

IMG_1143.jpg

A shot of the frogspawn.

IMG_1140.jpg

And here is the cyano on my GSPs. Notice the large amount of beautiful hair algae in the background.

IMG_1145.jpg

I don't want to post a FTS right now for numerous reasons. The tank is dirty, there is algae all over the place and the aquascaping sucks right now. I am thinking about curing and adding about 5 more lbs of fist size LR pieces soon to build up a better base and have more surface to add stuff.

nice choice of corals. i think i might get a hammer this weekend too. although those GSPs look nice too (minus the algea)

Yeah the GSPs where my first. Everyone says thay are easy to keep and spread like weed so I'll probably kill them. :happy:

....easy to keep and spread like weed so I'll probably kill them. :happy:

:lol:

Man that SUX about all that algae. Hopefully the miracle drug will work for you. Keep me posted on it. Also what exactly IS it? PM Me if you want to keep it your "secret" weapon bro!!!

Man those frags are SWEET! I have a purple FrogSpawn on HOLD with the local REEF club. Next time he comes this way it's being hand delivered! I'll keep ya posted.

No secret. The box says Blue Life Red Slime Remover. It is a very small bottle of white powder that you mix with tank water and add to your tank. I don't want to seem optimistic but it looks like it is dying (the algae) and nothing else in the tank seems to be just fine. I haven't had much time between school and work to mess with the tank but hopefully I can get back to buisness. Anyways, thanks for the comments and I can't wait to see your frogspawn.

masterbuilder

For hair algae a Turbo snail ate ALL of mine is a few days. They are a pain though, knocking stuff over..etc. I sent mine back to the LFS after he did his job, the normal CUC has kept it from returning. For attaching frags in difficult places, I put a BIG blob of aquarium epoxy putty on the bottom of the frag and then just press the frag where I want it...a perfect fit. Sometimes the epoxy doest want to stick to my rock, in that case, after it dries… put a small amount of superglue to the part of the epoxy that touches the rock and it sticks like glue...pardon the pun.

Mark

p.s. I will be replacing my 4.24 lights with a MH/PC mod in the next few days...will post pics...thanks for the inspiration.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I sold some other aquarium stuff I had a went to the LFS and bought 4 more lbs of fist size LR to fill in some spots in my tank. I am curing it in anoher tank to make sure that I get as little a minicyle as possible. I also bought a sea hare in the hope that he is really hungry. I will try and get some pics of it when it's out but man that is one ugly mofo. I was going to name it Rosie O'Donnell but figured that would be a put down to the sea hare, so I'm going with fugly :P I hope your light retro goes well, keep us updated.

Got a few shots of fugly. This is what I like to see, head first into the algae. The only down side it this damn thing poops more than my dog. I can tell everywhere it's been from the poop trail. :huh:

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

darbronnoco

just my 2c but on the airflow issue, you are much better off pulling the hot air out. set all your fans to draw the air out and cool air will easily be drawen into the tank from a few ventinh holes. I have built a LCD projector using a 400W MH in a small box. I made a slit in the top of the box near my LCD and drew the heat out right by the bulb. you can look at my projector design if it will help you out at all. http://projectorproject.thesnaggle.com

just my 2c hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the ideas. Most people have suggested the opposite but I really think most of the time it is application specific. I have 3 fans sucking in and a scroll fan blowing air out and it seems to be doing the trick. There probably is a more efficient way of doing it and I might find it some day but it is such a pain to take everything apart to change one little thing then put it all back together and try it. I see what you are saying and I am still not 100% set on the configuration I have (although there is less heat fluctuation than stock) and I think it could be better but it will have to happen as I get time. Thanks for looking and the suggestions.

This morning I woke up to find about 50% of my hair algae gone :D , but my god that thing craps a lot. There was a pretty good wad of HA that had broken loose and was stuck in my xenia and I decided to suck it out with some airline tubing. It was working really well until it got wrapped in the xenia and I sucked it and the piece of rock it was attached to off the ground. I cursed really loud and cut the suction and it drifted back down all shriveled up, but 10 minutes later it was fine. That is really the only update except I think the frogspawn is growing already. I thought it was only two heads but it looks like it is splitting one of them. ;)

Anyways, I still need to build the fuge. I have been toying with the idea of doing another tank but I want to make a bunch of DIY LR first and cure it. I want to see if I can make a decent looking tank with mostly DIY LR. We'll see how it goes.

masterbuilder

I have tried the fan thing ...both blowing, both sucking out, one in/one out. In our cubes the both blowing in seems to work best for some reason, at least a 3 degree improvement in my cube. Nanoty, has it right. A secondary effect is that the hood is slightly pressurized and it keeps any moisture out of the lights/hood, no corrosion, fogged splash covers, etc. If your having temp troubles in a Nanocube...try it...its good for a few degrees.

Hair algae is almost all gone already :D

What happens when your tank is depleted of all hair algae? Do you take it back to LFS?

the LFS' should rent the turbo snails and sea hares the same way stores rent out carpet cleaners. its the same concept when you think about it

when i had my 12 going i did the 'bust up' some of the existing LR i had to create some smaller rocks and ultimately more surface area for frags. honestly i think your better off going to the store and looking thru the tanks and piecing stuff together and mentally building the aquascape you want. why? well i busted up the bigger LR and got a bunch of smaller stuff that just didnt look right. ultimately alot of it ended up in the back compartment for filtration

Yeah that is what I asked, what if he eats it all? He said bring him back and he'd swap me for something :D

wow is that the nano tuners kit? if it is i think your the only person that has one. so they only ue 2 fans huh? i think i can get away with 2 fans also. i might take the 2 side ones out and put actinics in like you have. thats for the great pic i'm saving it for futre reference.

masterbuilder

Yup..its a Nanotuners. Cool...huh...those guys are great. Wait until my wife gets back from visiting her relatives.... I am dead meat....thought I better post while still have a place to live.

Actually....don’t quote me though...I believe Chris told me that he has sold about 130 of the 1.70 upgrades. I think they sell a sh*t load of stuff, just a tiny fraction ever post anything here or anywhere else.

I was about to upgrade to a 20 long with a TEK T5 lighting system. After weighing the costs, hassles and possible coral/fish losses related to changing tanks. I decided to go all out with my Nanocube 12G. Even though the 1.70 w/ PC from Nanocustom/Nanotuners is not cheap, I know I saved money by not going bigger. The Tek T5 lights alone are almost as much as the Nanocustoms upgrade itself. I have been successful with my little cube and have grown quite fond of it.....so why ruin a good thing.

Enough of hijacking Nanoty's thread....I will post what happens with my upgrade with another thread in a few days..if I can find a wi-fi spot, since I will most likely be living in my car. I hope she takes good care of my tank.

Hey masterbuilder that hood is rockin. I wanted the nanotuners kit so bad but I was so broke. I might end up getting that chiller to help out and possibly reduce the voltage on the fans. I can't wait to see some tank shots of it. Do they use 24w or 18w pc for the supps? I am thinking of adding my other 48w back with actinics if I get the chiller.

Archived