Pod Your Reef

Nanoty's Nanocube DX (Updated, MH retro)

nanoty

Yeah.. UPDATES!!

Geez, what you guys can't wait 8 months for updates? -_-

Well, to tell you the truth I haven't done much of anything except top offs once a week or so for the last few months. Everything looks well except I have an annoying algae problem again. I am sure it is from excess everything from the lack of water changes but I have been so damn busy lately plus just found out we are going to have a baby now. Light has been working well and temps are fine. I need some more flow and some free time to do water changes. It almost looks like hair algae but is more course where the hair algae I battled with the sea hare was kinda slimey. The problem is when I try and pull it off it tries to drag everything with it. I tried another sea hare a month ago but it ended up dieing so it's been on hold for a while. Anyways, not much to say, if I can get this algae under control I might be inclined to take a few pics. Later.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Jeep bud.....I have a 77 CJ5. Although it's not a rockcrawler setup, everything has pretty much been replaced on it. Work all done by my dad and I.

291481304_2a0b56412b.jpg

I feel like I have some of the most expensive hobbies for sure. Nice fish and shark catch :)

• 5 months later...

I'm back bi@tch.....honk......honk. Am I the only one who watches Chappelle Show? Anyways, I am trying to rescue my poor NC from the algae monster and need some help with a few questions. I have been using distilled water for top offs because I can get it cheap but one of the LFS guys said not too, he couldn't tell me why just that I shouldn't :huh: . I also (don't laugh) am still using the stock pump..booooooo, I know. Dr.Fostersmith is having a sale on Maxi-jet pumps on sale and I am going to order a MJ900 but I would also like to order some linelock to split the output or a rotational nozzle. Which would be better? What size is the stock 12g DX linelock? I don't really have the room to add another powerhead on the other side but I need more flow than I have.

Thanks guys it's nice to be back.

BTW. Temps stay right around 80 deg. with the MH still.

Any chance you can slide a Koralia Nano power head in there? I was having that nasty HA in my 12DX and put the NANO in there and a SEA HARE! He ate it up and it hasn't come back. I also put my tank into TOTAL darkness for 5 days with a cardboard box. Those three things seem to have done the trick *knock on wood*

Any chance you can slide a Koralia Nano power head in there? I was having that nasty HA in my 12DX and put the NANO in there and a SEA HARE! He ate it up and it hasn't come back. I also put my tank into TOTAL darkness for 5 days with a cardboard box. Those three things seem to have done the trick *knock on wood*

I just found the Koralia powerheads recently and they look pretty cool but it would be a squeeze. I had a sea hare a while back and he decimated my first HA problem to the point where I had to take him back to the store so he wouldn't starve. I don't think my corals would like a 5 day vacation from light though. I need to kick up the flow some, get on top of my water changes and look into another sea hare.

FyrFighter2004

About the linelock, i believe the NC uses 1/2". I cant say that with any certainty but i believe it to be true. I am trying the same idea with my 24g. I went to my lfs seeing if my friend had any spare linelock he could throw my way, unfortunately all they had 3/4" and that was too big. DrsFosterSmith has a nice section of plumbing supplies thats worth a look.

About the linelock, i believe the NC uses 1/2". I cant say that with any certainty but i believe it to be true. I am trying the same idea with my 24g. I went to my lfs seeing if my friend had any spare linelock he could throw my way, unfortunately all they had 3/4" and that was too big. DrsFosterSmith has a nice section of plumbing supplies thats worth a look.

Yeah, I was looking at their stuff since they also have the MJs on sale. Maybe they will know when I call to order the stuff, or I'll just call JBJ.

FyrFighter2004
Yeah, I was looking at their stuff since they also have the MJs on sale. Maybe they will know when I call to order the stuff, or I'll just call JBJ.

When you do, do you mind PMing me and letting me know? I would really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the middle of the rear compartment fuge build. It seems that some people are having trouble keeping enough flow through the middle chamber to keep the chaeto healthy. Does anyone have any advice on the subject? I am trying beat down this freaking hair algae and think some macro would give me a hand. Thanks

Well I couldn't stand it any more. I went to the LFS and bought another sea hare. No one probably remembers but I had a GHA problem a while back and the sea hare I bought absolutely decimated it. I didn't stick with the water changes and RO top-offs and the GHA slowly made its way back. Well I have been doing water changes and top-offs with straight RO water and trying to get on top of it.

I also made a fuge light for the back chamber but did not take any pics since everyone has seen it a hundred times. I need to score some chaeto for it to help export some nutrients.

I also just placed an order to drsfostersmith.com for an API Saltwater and Reef test kit, a refractometer and an MJ 900. The extra flow should help keep down dead spots and help keep the GHA at bay also.

I know this thread has fallen by the wayside but thought I would keep updating as I have time. I will get some before and after pics up if this sea hare does his job.

Here are a few pics from about 20 mins ago. I just pulled out about 10lbs of GHA but there is still plenty in there. The sea hare is still chowing down and I hope he stays hungry.

Worst FTS ever?

IMG_4004.jpg

Zoas and GHA, blah.

IMG_4014.jpg

Frogspawn, bought with 2 heads, now has 3 and all of those are splitting. EDIT: Damn that pic sucks.

IMG_4015.jpg

Close-up of mouth.

IMG_4012.jpg

This poor shoom was covered in GHA for a long time, literally cut off from light. Cleaned it out today and found the little guy.

IMG_4011.jpg

How about someone else jumping in here even if you just say my tank sucks and to go to hell? :huh:

other than the GHA :P ....I like the look of your tank! The corals are still looking good. I'm looking forward to some more pics of the tank once the sea hare is done chowing down.

other than the GHA :P ....I like the look of your tank! The corals are still looking good. I'm looking forward to some more pics of the tank once the sea hare is done chowing down.

Honestly for some reason it looks about 100x worst in pics than it real life. Plus the fact that I don't take good pics either. I need to figure out how to do it without the MH washing everything out.

Woa, how long did you go between water changes? thats a huge amount of GHA!

But your tank looks awesome, I like the coral on the side of the tank, how did you do that?

Woa, how long did you go between water changes? thats a huge amount of GHA!

But your tank looks awesome, I like the coral on the side of the tank, how did you do that?

There was probably a stretch of a few months with nothing but topoffs, sometimes with tap water. It is getting better but slowly. The xenia started as a stalk on a piece of rock in the sand bed then decided to jump to the side and make its way up toward the top. There is also some on the top rock that some how came loose and remounted there, they are doing well.

For comparison sake here is a FTS one day later. Notice the left side of the tank? I have not touched it since the last pic, it is all the sea hare.

IMG_4026.jpg

Got some new swag in the mail today. Hopefully this will give me a hand with the tank. I already put the MJ900 in and like the flow, it is not as much as I thought it would be but I am kinda glad. I only tested the phosphates in the tank and it didn't show up on the chart which I find very hard to believe.

There are also a few random shots of some of the CUC cause I was bored.

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

wow you wernt kidding about the hair algea!

i thought you had t he mj900 already? i guess not. i think my MJ is dying. i put a post about it up on here. i cleaned it out and everything but no luck. hey did you ever get the nano-koralia yet? i want to see how big it is in the 12g. i have a mj404 in the main display for my sps but it looks like crap. i was thinking of going with the koralia.

good job on getting the refractomer. i have that same one and its awesome.

Hey how do you calibrate your refractometer? With DI water or calibration solution? The instructions say to use DI water and they were out of the calibration solution when I ordered it.

I was going to get a nano powerhead for my tank but honestly the 900 almost puts out too much flow with the stock nozzle. My xenia on the glass looks like it is going to fly off and it's on the opposite side of the tank.

When I convert this to a prop tank I will probably add one but until then I don't think I need it.

The tank is looking a lot better, the sea hare is getting the upper hand and I think the RO water changes are helping a lot also. I need some new tubing to connect the MJ900 to the nozzle better because the old stock crap is so stiff it is sucking air at the top and letting microbubbles in the tank.

i calibrated mine with DI water. it was right on right out of the box too.

see my mj900 has definatly got a problem then. theres hardly any flow. i have a minijet 404 on the lowest setting blowing derectly on my acro and it loves it. i was going to try the koralia though because the i think it might fit it the tank better

I calibrated mine with DI water a while ago and it was right on also out of the box. Checked my tank and it was right at 1.026 SG, checked with the old hydrometer and it read around 1.023 SG so it as a bit off. It would also explain why the pre-mixed water from my LFS was reading like 1.020 SG. I have never used one before and suprised at how easy it was to use.

One thing I had to take care of today was the original hose for the pump was old and very hard. It wouldn't seal good around the 90 up by the outflow nozzle so it was sucking air and spitting microbubbles. I ran to Lowes to get some paint for the baby's room and picked up a couple of feet of 1/2" ID clear tubing and some zipties and fixed it up (didn't use all of it but I wanted extra).

I still have a hard time testing because of my colorblindness but hopefully the wife can help me out on that. I am trying do decide how to thin out the tanks in the house and which ones to get rid of to cut down on the maintinence and help fund the 40b.

Thanks for checking out the thread.

Still getting better, the GHA not my photography. Here are some shots from a few minutes ago.

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

Nothing special but I am bored. My GSPs haven't opened for a day or so which is weird, they are usually open and flowing.

masterbuilder

Hey...just a question. Why dont you just do weekly water changes? You may have avoided all the GHA problems. Tap water is not helping either. Just wondering.... tank looks good otherwise.

Archived