inTank Media Baskets

Nanoty's Nanocube DX (Updated, MH retro)

nanoty

I neglected the tank for months and the GHA took over, literally. When I started doing WCs again I started using premix saltwater from the LFS and topping off with his RO water as well. I am now changing about 2-3 gallons a week and my RO/DI unit shipped out today.

The sea hare was to help with mechanical removal since my huge man hands are so damn destructive in my tank, just ask my birdnest that has been "accidentally" fragged about 3 times. Once he finishes his job he will go back to the LFS since I should be able to keep the GHA under control through waterchanges and regular CUC.

Thanks for the suggestion, even though I am already doing it :D

BTW it is nice that someone actually took the time to comment in my thread.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what the hell i dont count when i comment? hahaha.

hey what RODI unit did you buy? i'm gonna need one when i start up the 75g.

how do you like the MJ900? i cleaned mine out yesterday and its like brand new again. I'm glad i didnt have to buy a new one. i'm still going to try the koralia though i think. if i find one thi weekend i'll pick one up (if i have money) i alsofound someone local selling a sapphire skimmer for $40 but he dosnt know which cube it fits. he says its 12"x 8" so i dont think its the NC12 one.

did you modify your surface skimmer?

what the hell i dont count when i comment? hahaha.

hey what RODI unit did you buy? i'm gonna need one when i start up the 75g.

how do you like the MJ900? i cleaned mine out yesterday and its like brand new again. I'm glad i didnt have to buy a new one. i'm still going to try the koralia though i think. if i find one thi weekend i'll pick one up (if i have money) i alsofound someone local selling a sapphire skimmer for $40 but he dosnt know which cube it fits. he says its 12"x 8" so i dont think its the NC12 one.

did you modify your surface skimmer?

Because you are only on here like every other month, lol. I bought this RO/DI unit off of filters direct on ebay. I also got a float switch and inline TDS meter that checks TDS before and after the filter. Everything shipped was under $180.

I finally found a nozzle position that doesn't blow everything around too much but I still want to split it with locline. I didn't have to do anything to the surface skimmer but now I can hear the water falling over it because it flows so much more. I think I am still going to try some macro in the middle chamber to help remove some nitrates and phosphates. My shrooms are taking over my zoas, I am going to have to cut them out and move them so they don't completely cover the zoas.

oh, it looked like you cut every other tooth out of the skimmer.

so what do you do just cut the shrooms off and throw them away? I severly need to do that but i would feel bad for them. i dont know, i guess i have too. i wish some one would come take them.

i'm going to check out that RODI in a minute

do you have city water or a well?

oh, it looked like you cut every other tooth out of the skimmer.

so what do you do just cut the shrooms off and throw them away? I severly need to do that but i would feel bad for them. i dont know, i guess i have too. i wish some one would come take them.

i'm going to check out that RODI in a minute

No the overflow is an old cassette tape case that I made a million years ago, I was going to get the NC one but this works so what the hell. I am going to try and cut the shrooms and move them to another rock. You should be able to cut some of yours off and put them in a container with lots of holes and some rubble and they will reattach fairly soon, then you can trade/sell/give them away. Hell, cut some of them off and ship them to me. I'll pay for shipping and we'll see how they do.

you seriously want my killer shrooms? i call them killer shrooms because they killed one branch on my acro. (which is finaly growing back) i thought shrooms backed off when they got too close to other coral. not mine. they pissed my cocoa worm off so bad too that i didnt see it for 4 days, until i moved it to the other side of the tank. i have to move my polys to the samd too because the shrooms covered them too. i might try the container thing.

you seriously want my killer shrooms? i call them killer shrooms because they killed one branch on my acro. (which is finaly growing back) i thought shrooms backed off when they got too close to other coral. not mine. they pissed my cocoa worm off so bad too that i didnt see it for 4 days, until i moved it to the other side of the tank. i have to move my polys to the samd too because the shrooms covered them too. i might try the container thing.

Send me your shrooms or else.......

:lol:

Hot dam... I just got through your thread.. My goodness you have been through some ######. Haha Lookin great though! I love the Xenia's on the wall. Those are right..? Lol :huh:

Hot dam... I just got through your thread.. My goodness you have been through some ######. Haha Lookin great though! I love the Xenia's on the wall. Those are right..? Lol :huh:

Yeah there is a lot of BS in there. Yes that is xenia on the wall, they actually started on the complete oposite side of the tank on the bottom then I moved them to the other side and they made the jump to the glass and have been moving up and splitting ever since.

Yeah I have to find the camera to post them. I still have some on one side and in my birdnest and zoas where the sea hare cannot reach but it is still getting better. I would say 75% or more of the tank is GHA free thanks to RO water changes and fugly the sea hare. Try to get some up after this weekend. We are having a baby shower and everything is crazy this weekend.

New additions to the tank.

State of the art acclimation center.........they also hold a lot of cereal.

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

I really suck at pics and the water is cloudy from moving crap but you get the idea. Probably not final locations either.

I believe there is a major tank overhaul coming soon. I have never really liked my rockwork and I think that I need a more horizontal surfaces to work with so I think the large rock in the back is going to get broken up. I am also going to frag out my birdsnest and acro and take them to the LFS for credit. I want to get away from SPS in this tank. My LFS just got a bunch of rics in and they are pretty nice but at $29 a head I can't afford too many. They also have a few duncan frags, a 3 head for $59 and 4 head for $79 and they are nice :P . I also have had my eyes on a clam for a while and am keeping my eyes open for a maxima, but my LFS has croceas for around $50.

I was going to tear this tank down and make a frag tank out of it but the better the GHA gets the better the more I remember how much I like this tank.

I checked params today since there was someone here to check the colors for me (I am colorblind) and there were:

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: ~460-500

Those are the only things I tested since I have no fish.

I also went to the LFS to look around and brought home some new duds. I got a peppermint shrimp to try and curb some of my smaller hard to reach aiptasia.

I also picked up a few small frags of pompom xenia, a striped shroom and a what he called a "fuzzy finger leather". Sorry I have no pics as it is lights out already, I will try to get some tomorrow. I still want to rearrange the tank this weekend but I may postpone it to put my RO/DI system in.

I got really tired of the way my tank looked so I decided to do something. Since I am still battling with GHA I don't know if it was a good idea or not but who cares.

A few things I wanted to take care of while I was in the tank was the mushrooms crowding some of my zoas. I didn't want to kill them so I tried to cut them out and frag them. I also wanted to get rid of the ugly birdnest that was hurt by the GHA. I fragged it out and will be trying to get some credit at the LFS.

Oh....one other thing......I have no idea what the hell I am doing. I will probably cause a tank crash and kill a bunch of babies or something but here is goes.

Tank, pre-renovation. Sorry, didn't feel like cleaning the glass since it was fixing to get pretty screwed up anyways. Notice the shrooms in the zoas on the right side of the tank and the BN above it?

IMG_4134.jpg

Shot of my new zoas just for the heck of it.

IMG_4137.jpg

I broke up the huge piece of LR on the top with a screwdriver and found this guy.

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

He now lives in the sewer.

Zoa and mushroom rock, I cut the shrooms out the best I could but I don't know what is going to happen. See the fragged BN in the dish?

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

Tool over 4 shrooms. I think this is the way everyone says to do it. I will leave it in the tank for a week or so then take it off and see if I royally screwed everything up. I think I like the new aquascape better, there is more places to add stuff and I made it so the rocks don't touch the back of the tank anymore so I can clean behind them. It looks different and not as full anymore but I think I made enought room for a Koralia nano now.

IMG_4155.jpg

Sorry I don't have any after shots of the aquascape because the lights went out the second I was done. I want the crap to settle out so I can do another water change and clean the glass. Then I will get another FTS to show the difference.

Am I crazy??? :huh:

Am I crazy??? :huh:

no youre nucking futs!! haha just kidding. cant wait to see the new aquascape. i've been wanting to redo mine but my tank is running so great with my luck it would crash. i wouldnt care if i didnt have fish.

what was the worn you found in the live rock? i couldnt identify it from that pic.

so youre still going to get the koralia? i thought you decided against it.

all this looking at your tank is making me want to get some new stuff for my tank, altough i know i shouldnt until its moved into my new house.

Yeah I think I am going to add a koralia nano. At first I thought it was enough flow without it but I noticed a lot of dead space in the tank and how my LFS tanks have a ton of flow even for thier softies and they do well. I really had no room for one before I re-scaped since the xenia is starting to take over the wall. It will probably go on the back wall next to the overflow.

I know what you mean about adding crap. I was going to tear this down when the 40b goes up but I'm not sure now. I added a flower leather, some zoas and a couple smaller frags in the last few weeks :huh:

It looks kinda funny since some of the rock that was covered is now exposed but time will take care of that. There are also some big gaps in my zoas where the mushrooms were taking over.

I'll get some pics later.

BTW, I have no idea what kind of worm it was. I think I injured it when I broke the rock up so I decided to toss it.

The tank looks a lot better today. I still don't have any pics because the glass is nasty and I've been busy today putting my RO unit in. :P

I did notice that the tank seems to be running like 1-1.5 degrees cooler today. The only thing I can think of is that the rock is not piled up as high and therefore not absorbing as much heat. I really don't know but I like it.

Noticed my emerald crab out picking at the remaining GHA along with the sea hare. Need to get these frags to the LFS and free up some space and nab som new swag :D .

Well I did it, I added a freaking fish to the tank. When I brought the frags to the LFS I came back with a firefish. Not what I traded for so I still have the store credit. They have some crocea clams and some nice rics so I may end up with one or more. Since I decided to add a dartfish I thought I might as well have another in there. I am deciding between a diamond goby and yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo. What do you think?

I will post pics of the tank post renovation tomorrow since the frags are gone and I cleaned it today.

SON OF A #)*@^$^(#)@)@*#&@*@)@_!(#*#!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I organized my photobucket account into folders cause it was like 18 pages long and I guess it forked everything up. POOPS!!!!!! I guess I have something to do on a boring night (every night) now.

Crap, that probably means my pics are screwed up on all the other freaking forums I'm on. :angry::angry::angry:

Alright, got a few pics of the new 'scape. Tank still looks like crap but you'll get the general idea. Also finally got a pics of my new fish. Still need to fix my pics.

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

wow your frogspawn has really grown since you go it. did you glue that egg crate to your glass cleaner?

nice firefish, i've always liked those.

Yeah it's grown a bit. I actually cut groves in the mag cleaner (which I never use) then super glued the hell out of it. It holds quite a few frags. I am in the process of reposting all my pics so be patient.......not that anyone looks anyways.

Archived