Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nanoty's Nanocube DX (Updated, MH retro)

nanoty

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did you order your actinics yet? i'm going to run my light with 2 fans first and see how the temps are before i order.

No I didn't order them yet, I am still trying to convince my wife I need MORE light :D Actually I need to double glass the light and try it without the two fans before I do it for sure. I glued a single zoa polyp that I had popped of a frag a few weeks ago to a piece of rubble to see if I could get it to spread. I was going to take the sea hare back to the LFS today but they are closed on Mondays. Any ideas on what I should trade him for? I am thinking more and more about a fishless tank.

my LFS said every reef tank should have at least one fish in it. something about they help the nitrogen cycle when they breath or something. anyways, i might call nanotuners tomorrow and see if i can piece together a kit with everything i need. i saw on the site you can buy reflectors for all their kits separatly but i didnt see the reflector for the 1.70 kit. if they let me buy it i'll probbaly get one of those too. i've been running 2 fans for 3 1/2 hours now with no temp problems.

Did your temp ever get any higher with 2 fans? Are you still using the rear scroll fan? Interested to see how this works.

I am going to return my sea hare to the LFS today and trade him for something. I don't know if I want any fish yet or at all. It seems like there are plenty of fishless tanks out there, not sure I understand the correlation between respration and the nitrogen cycle, perhaps they meant defecation? Not sure. Anyways, I am about to add the other pieces of LR that have been curing for the last week or so and I am not really sure how to go about it. I think I will remove all the corals to a small container while I am rescaping to keep them out of harms way. Any suggestions?

Well I took my sea hare back today and ended up coming home with 2 new frags one acropora and one bird nest. I will get a few pics once they are acclimated.

Sweet, I will try and get some pics. I have been so damn busy the last few days. Anyways, I will update when I can. BTW these frags are really small.

EDIT: Damn I suck at taking pics. Give me a decent camera and I can really screw them up. The frags are epoxied to the top rock in my tank and it looks like crap right now because I am about to rearrange a bunch of stuff so it's kinda temp. Anyways, here they are.

Birdnest

IMG_1364.jpg

Acropora and Birdnest

IMG_1367.jpg

Soon, let me do some cleanup first. I have been stupid busy at school and work and the tank has kinda been neglected. All the corals look great, I just need to do some maint. Thanks

Well I totally rearranged my tank a while ago and it is still pretty cloudy but I decided to try a few pics. Can someone give me some advice on taking pics with this MH light, they always end up washed out. Anyways, here is my tank as it is. Stock is: hammer, frogspawn, xenia, acropora, birdnest, GSP, a couple of mushrooms and a few hitchhiker zoas.

FTS, sucks, need to clean up.

IMG_1374.jpg

Zoas that came on my $5 mushroom.

IMG_1380.jpg

Single polyp I superglued to a rock, fell off other colony and it is doing well.

IMG_1378.jpg

Xenia is still growing and splitting, not as fast as I thought it would but looks nice.

IMG_1377.jpg

Seriously, I am totally embarrassed to post these pics but I am moving along. I hate this mag cleaner. When I use it it disturbs everything in the tank. Not sure about the rock work, it seems to cast shadows on some parts of the tank. Thats all for now. What do you think?

hey man.. looking great! sure.. there's some clean up needed, but I love the progress. On your camera, if you have the ability to go manual, close the apature down or increase the shutter speed and try a few pics that way.

I'm almost ready to get my tank going and I'll post some pics (with many requests for help, I'm sure) when it is ready.

Great stuff and keep us posted.

Brad

hey man.. looking great! sure.. there's some clean up needed, but I love the progress. On your camera, if you have the ability to go manual, close the apature down or increase the shutter speed and try a few pics that way.

I'm almost ready to get my tank going and I'll post some pics (with many requests for help, I'm sure) when it is ready.

Great stuff and keep us posted.

Brad

Thanks Brad. The camera is an Canon A710IS just a point and shoot but I should be able to adjust the apaure on it. The tank has cleared up today and I think I am going to try and get some better pics to replace those with. Thanks again and good luck on your tank.

just keep playing with the settings...take a bunch of shots on different settings and see what works best for your light conditions.

I spoke to Chris at nanocustoms yesterday and i bought the fuge light and some other odds and ends. I expect to have my tank filled with water by the endof the weekend (if all goes right)...and ready to place my live rock order next week. That's the hope anyway, I'll post some pics of my progress.

Brad

i talk to nick at nanotuners and ordered a set of 2x18w actinics and the 1.70 MH heatshield/reflector. they should be coming in on saturday. i'm hoping the actinics will make the colors in my tank "pop" like everyone says they will.

same here. the reef tank is my newest one and its supposed to be a winter time hobby only since i got the camaro and motorcycle for the spring, summer and fall. i know once the weather gets better the tank will go on the back burner with the exception of weekly water changes and other regular maintenance since i have so much stuff to buy for the motor vehicles this year. i just spent $500 on 2 T56 transmissions for the car and maybe my truck if i can figure out a way to get it to mate up to the transfer case.

anyways, back on topic. my actinics will be here tomorrow i'll keep you guys posted on how that comes out.

which hobby is that? I find that I've got way too many hobbies as well...where does all the money go??? LOL

Well I fish......a lot. Mostly for large fish either on the beach or out of my kayak.

btb2-1.jpg

shark11.jpg

On top of that I also 4 wheel mostly in the rockcrawling scene but when I don't feel like hauling the jeep 300 miles to find some rocks I'll play in the mud too.

Picture365.jpg

IMG_1207-1.jpg

On top of that I'm starting to build RC rockcrawlers. I'm too old to be playing with toys.

S4200001.jpg

On top of all that I also have a wife which takes up a lot of my time, I work at Discount Tire where I have worked for the past 8 years and I am back in school finishing my biology degree. Add the fact that we are now trying to have a baby and I should probably be committed. :huh:

• 3 months later...

Archived