Top Shelf Aquatics

New Red Sea Max

SecondBreath

SecondBreath

Hey Laggs,

If you read back earlier you'll see that I did wire a fan for this slot but have since taken it out as I now have a chiller.

Red Sea should be releasing a fan kit for this though in the coming months so stay tuned.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called Red Sea up and they sold me the fan for the back so its out now. I'm now thinking I'm gonna get a chiller because here in florida it will get hot as summer sets in. 1/15 HP Prime Nano-Chiller is the one I have been looking at. Was wondering if you have any opinions on what a good chiller would be to get and if the one I'm looking at is any good.

https://www82.safesecureweb.com/webaquatics...ategory_Code=P1

on a side note my moon glow leds just stoped working 2 days after i setup the system, so i gotta ship the hood back to red sea so they can send me a new one.

SecondBreath
I called Red Sea up and they sold me the fan for the back so its out now. I'm now thinking I'm gonna get a chiller because here in florida it will get hot as summer sets in. 1/15 HP Prime Nano-Chiller is the one I have been looking at. Was wondering if you have any opinions on what a good chiller would be to get and if the one I'm looking at is any good.

https://www82.safesecureweb.com/webaquatics...ategory_Code=P1

on a side note my moon glow leds just stoped working 2 days after i setup the system, so i gotta ship the hood back to red sea so they can send me a new one.

Can you provide pics, info, price on the kit?

Sorry to hear about the LEDs butI have the chiller you're looking at and I absolutely love it as it works great and is very quiet.

Can you provide pics, info, price on the kit?

Sorry to hear about the LEDs butI have the chiller you're looking at and I absolutely love it as it works great and is very quiet.

I think with shipping it came out to around 13 bucks for the fan. I have not received the fan yet in the mail so when I do, I can post pics.

mark blevins

One of my LEDs went out after set up, but I had tank up and running so they sent new hood first. They told me I had to pay to ship it back, still not sure about that? I ordered my 1/15 hp prime chiller this week. My RSM is looking good will try to get some pics next week.

snake plissken

speaking of fans, has anybody heard any odd noises coming from the stock fans? the intake fan on the left is making some strange sounds. it comes in cycles..."wah..wah...wah...wah" if i press down slightly on the hood it stops.

think there is a screw loose? are these easy to access and tighten up?

Interior dimensions are about 11 x 4 x 19

Hello newbie here. Been lurking for about a month on this sight learning everything that I can before I get my first tank. I am currently saving up for the Red Sea Max.

Just curious...

Has anyone measured the open filtration/skimmer area? I've seen some companies offer small in tank fuges and was wondering if they could be placed in that compartment, with some modification of course.

Thanks!

The fans are friction fit into the hood, they are very tight

speaking of fans, has anybody heard any odd noises coming from the stock fans? the intake fan on the left is making some strange sounds. it comes in cycles..."wah..wah...wah...wah" if i press down slightly on the hood it stops.

think there is a screw loose? are these easy to access and tighten up?

I received the red sea max extra fan today. The fan easily clipped into place in the back fan slot. The fan needs a DC power supply to work properly. Lucky me I had the one I needed around the office. You can adjust the speed of the fan by changing the voltage on the DC power supply if you have that style. Sorry I have no pictures as I lost my digital camera about a month ago at sea world.

I was just getting ready to change out the stock fans for the new quieter /lower rpm fans as well as installing the extra cooling fan.

Red Sea said the extra cooling fan would be a no-brainer and no additional equipment was needed. I guess that's not the case?

You can't hook up the extra cooling fan to the same place the standard two fans run? Can you use the power supply for the PC T5 lights??

Thanks..

Laggs2003

The fan is run by DC power and in the instructions it says to hook it up to a dc power supply. I don't see how you could hook it up to the hood. I'm gonna open up my hood and see whats inside.

Hi guys! :)

It's been a little while since I was in here now but my Red Sea Max is doing quite well. Only problem I've had to date is with the timer. But I am using an Aquatronica system to control it anyway so it works quite well.

I have absolutely no microbubbles. They appeared the first three weeks but have been gone since. The key for me was to find the exact water level in the tank. I also cut the black mech filter in two using only half of it. The white filter floss is removed.

I also installed the rear fan for extra cooling and it works quite well although it adds a little noise when it comes on (temperature controlled with Aquatronica).

I wanted to add kalkwasser and auto top-up. It's not standard to use a kalwasser mixer without having a sump but I found a solution that's working very well for me. It's fully automatic and only require me to fill RO water up once a week.

There's level sensor in the RSM that triggers the dosing pump that brings kalkwasser into the tank from the small box. Level sensor #2 is in the small kalkwasser box triggering a dosing pump pulling RO water into the mixer.

I use the Aquatronica to control the dosing pumps (50ml in 3 minute intervals when levels are low). The kalkwasser goes into a small quaratine box that hangs on the inside of the RO water container. The amount of kalkwasser in the little box is enough for approx 36 hours. That way it will constantly be refreshed.

The wrireless access point in the picture is so that I can control lights, temperature, fans plus monitor tank temp, ambient temp, salinity and pH via Internett.

It pleases me a LOT to have a very automatic and high-tech RSM bigsmile.gif

My water is crystal clear and with the rate of water vaporizing in the RSM, it maintains the calcium level without me having to add anything extra - at least not until I add more corals...

Here's a pic (NOTE: I took the picture while the mixer was settling. There is only about 1 1/2 inch with white concentrated calcium on the bottom of the mixer now):

autoRSM2.jpg[/img]

SecondBreath

Damn....high tech indeed! I work for THE WiFi company and I've yet to imagine doing anything like that! Great job! Personally I dose my tank once a day with Bionic and it does the trick nicely....

Irie, I ran the extra fan off the powerblock that the other fans connect to and this does work. However, Red Sea strongly advised me not to this becuase the fan's close proximity to the water would inevitably mean that salt water would get into the fan and cause a short. Having the fan wired directly to everything else would mean that it would then short the whole canopy so I quickly decided to dissconnect it. =)

Oh yeah, almost forgot!

Check this out....Red Sea asked to show my tank (and experience with it) on their site. =)

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/Red_Sea...stimonials.html

I want to see more pics from everyone! Keep them coming.

Damn....high tech indeed! I work for THE WiFi company and I've yet to imagine doing anything like that! Great job! Personally I dose my tank once a day with Bionic and it does the trick nicely....

Irie, I ran the extra fan off the powerblock that the other fans connect to and this does work. However, Red Sea strongly advised me not to this becuase the fan's close proximity to the water would inevitably mean that salt water would get into the fan and cause a short. Having the fan wired directly to everything else would mean that it would then short the whole canopy so I quickly decided to dissconnect it. =)

Oh yeah, almost forgot!

Check this out....Red Sea asked to show my tank (and experience with it) on their site. =)

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/Red_Sea...stimonials.html

I want to see more pics from everyone! Keep them coming.

SB - So I'm guessing your next step after disconnecting the extra cooling fan was the chiller purchase??? If not, what did you do with the fan from there? And why do you dose with Bionic?

SecondBreath

Yep....disconnected the fan when I bought the chiller. I figured the cooling fan was just a temp solution anyway. I actually just moved my tank over the weekend down to a house on the beach (Newport Beach) so I"m hoping the chiller won't have to work all that hard from now on.

I dose with Bionic to maintain my calcium and alkalinity levels. Thi stuff is awesome. Basically you pore equal doses of each once a day and your params stay perfect.

Laggs2003

I took out the white filter when it would get dirty so fast. If you cut the black filter in half does that increase flow and reduce bubbles?

Quick Question:

Did you guys put the LR rubble in the third chamber in the bag or just let the pieces rest by themselves?

I have noticed the bag in which my LR rubble is in is coated with greenish grey matter to the point I'm not sure how much water is actually able to pass through the bag.

I have no flow problems, but I'm wondering if I should just place the LR rubble pieces in by themselves. Don't want to disturb the beneficial bacteria, etc.

What to do? Thanks.... :mellow:

Laggs2003

After using the extra fan on my rsm for several days now it has been a big improvement. Before I had added the fan I would get temps of 82-84 during the day. Now the temp sits at around 78-80 and I don't need to get a chiller.

Hi Everyone,

Currently I own a 12g Aquapod and I think it is time to upgrade to the MAX! However, I do wish it came with the MH setup...

SB, do you by anychance have pics of your tank with the canopy disconnected? I want the MH setup but I am debating if I should send the canopy to Nanotuners or if I should by a Coralife - 24" Aqualight Pro 150w HQI + 2 x 65w PC. It looks as if it would be a cheaper than modifying the canopy. It should also disribute the light evenly all around the tank.

SecondBreath

I posted pics earlier in this thread of my canopy but let me know if you'd like to see more and I'll try to post today or tommorow.

Red_Sea_Max_with_Metal_Halide.JPG

The retro wasn't cheap but I haven't had any regrets other than wishing I had done it earlier. =)

The coralife may be cheaper but you'd lose the clean looks of the Max...

Also, there is a bit of spotlighting but it's not as bad as I had imagined it would be and becuase I have a fairly narrow reef on the back wall everything is pretty well lit.

Good luck with the new setup!

Laggs2003
Are you seeing more evap?

So far I cant tell the difference. If I'm getting more evap its not that much more. Could have to do with the fact that my temps before were around 82-84 during the day which would of caused my evap to be higher already. Right now I have a RO/DI system in the mail for top offs and making my own salt water. Having to fill up the tank the first time was all it took me to not want to have to go down to the LFS to buy water. Also I'm looking to make an auto top of system or find one that works for me.

On a side note, my tank is currently cycling with some brown and green algae and hopefully by next week I can start to add something to it

Mike, I am new to the hobby and I plan to get a Red Sea Max also. I read through your thread and learned alot, thanks! I see that you added a Tunze Nanostream to your tank. Does it get it's power thru the magnet connection so you don't even have to run the power cable in the tank? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I just can't seem to find the answer on the web. If I get a nanostream, I was hoping to put it on the back between some live and make a hole for the stream to go thru, this way I could camoflage it. However, I live in Phoenix so I may not even go with the nanostream since I do not want the water to get too hot, I am hoping to avoid a chiller if possible.

Also, when you top off your water level, does it go above the black trim or is it below the trim piece? I was reading on the UK Reef site that the one person that is also on the testimonial page has this problem were he can't fill to the trim line and says it looks bad.

SecondBreath

Hey Shram,

Thanks and yes the Nanostream needs to plug in for power. My setup is bit unorthodox but I have the powercords for all my pumps (including the nanostream) running directly to the built in powerstrip in the Max. All my lights run to an outside Coralife power strip with dual timers. This allows me to independently turn off/on my pumps using the switches on the side of the max when I clean or feed. But you could always run the extra powercord out the back above the heater compartement. There's a pop-out slot that allows you to feed cables and chiller plumbing through it if needed.

Basically the nanostream is a plastic cage in the shape/size of a tennis ball.

Inside is the pump/fan with one side having the opening/outlet. This whole ball fits inside a U-shaped arm that has a magnetic disk. This magnetic disk has a corresponding disk that sits on the other side of the glass to attach the two. The two disks are crazy-strong when put near each other! The power cord runs out the top of the ball and the whole thing easily swivels and points where desired within this arm.

The nanostream is pretty strong and I use it for surface movement and a bit of turbulence as one of the stock return pumps points indireclty into its flow.

This does produce a little extra heat in the tank so I'd cuation against it if you're already nervous about temps. That said, it's a great addition for extra flow.

Nightfox, like all of us have had some issues with the right water level. The issue being that the overflow grill doesnt surface skim when the tank is filled above the black trim because the grill is then below the surface. So it's basically a trade-off between hiding the surface at the top or efficient surface skimming with lowering this water level. Personally, my nanostream cuases so much surface movement/turbelence that I don't need to surface skim as I never have any noticeable surface buildup or collection.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Archived