Pod Your Reef

New Red Sea Max

SecondBreath

Thanks Mike for the quick reply! I am hoping to put a Tridacna Clam in my tank and I hope the stock lighting and water movement will be ok for it. Do you have any other recent picks of your tank. Also, does any of your live rock touch the back of the tank or do you have a gap?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SecondBreath

You should be able to do the clam under the stock lighting. I've seen these do well under less.

I just finished moving my tank so everything is still getting adjusted. But as soon as I introduce some new coral next week I'll update with pics. On a side note, my jawfish dissapeared? When I broke down my tank for the move he was simply gone... I think he may have passed away in his burrow and became a snack for the rest of the tank. A little bummed but I think I'm going to get a spotted jawfish to replace him.

And yes, my rock touches the back wall but not the glass sides. I used some acrylic rods to help create my reef but for the most part they naturally fit togther.

I tried to make my reef as open as possible soe everything got the best water flow. I still have quite a few gaps in the back but the largest pieces do rest against the back wall.

Picking out the live rock is one of the best and worst parts of setting up the tank. The creative part is awesome, but finding (and paying) for right the pieces and making them work takes time and money.

Awesome, can't wait to see the new pictures. I just called http://www.customaquatic.com/ and they are calling their shipping company to get a quote on the shipping to Phoenix, AZ. They said it should be around $100.00 which I do not think is bad. They also said I should have it in around 3-4 business days. I also called http://superfishstore.com/ but nobody picked up and nobody replied to my e-mail. They had it for about $40.00 cheaper if I get the shipping for around $100.00 from CustomAquatics, but I like how CustomAquatics was quick to answer the phones and answer my questions. In case I have a problem with the tank, I am confident I will be able to reach CustomAquatics. I think I will do the same as you and drill holes and use rods to place the rock together. I think if you do it this way, you can make some cool ledges, cliffs, caves, etc. Nightfox used some sort of glue on his rock and it didn't sound like he had much success doing it that way. Thanks for all your information, my Wife and I are really excited about getting this tank and getting started in the hobby.

SecondBreath

Haha....they were my ex-girlfreind's choice and this was our old place.

Does he have these pillows?

snake plissken

hey shramj - i was going to go with custom aquatic myself but shipping to SC was going to be around $140. marinedepot.com has the RSM for $600, FREE SHIPPING and NO TAX! i jumped on that deal.

i am new to this forum and i do not know if endrorsing is frowned upon but i had to let you know about the deal.

furthemore, they take the order and then it ships direct from red sea. it came by fedex freight on shipping pallet. very secure.

$599 is a good price. That is just the tank, though. There is another place that has the tank and the stand for $649 (free shipping, no tax except in Texas.) This is also drop shipped to your door from Red Sea.

superfishstore.com

The starter kit is $90 at Marine Depot, $70 at superfishstore.com.

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

SecondBreath

Shipping is additional.... i live nearby so I just picked it up and saved a ton as compared to every else (at least at the time)

I'd call them up with whatever deal you see and see if they can't beat it.

They are really cool over there.

snake plissken

shipping seems to make or break these deals...cost as well as method. I am on my SECOND RSM. my first one was delivered tank AND stand for under $640. i was thrilled...until it arrived in shards. an online retailer that will remain nameless put the retail box inside another larger box with a little bit of bubble wrap and sent it out UPS ground. the tank was smashed. they promptly refunded my entire order and sent UPS back to pick it up. they were really quick to reply to my emails and promptly refunded my $$ so i dont want to throw them under the bus

but it sucked to see a beautiful tank destroyed and then have to find another source to order one from...

the only good news was that the stand was not damaged. they refunded all my $ on the order and i kept the stand... so it was free!

Quick Question:

Did you guys put the LR rubble in the third chamber in the bag or just let the pieces rest by themselves?

I have noticed the bag in which my LR rubble is in is coated with greenish grey matter to the point I'm not sure how much water is actually able to pass through the bag.

I have no flow problems, but I'm wondering if I should just place the LR rubble pieces in by themselves. Don't want to disturb the beneficial bacteria, etc.

What to do? Thanks.... :mellow:

Do you guys have any comments /advice on the above?

Also, when you replace the activated carbon in the last chamber you have temporarily remove the powerheads, so does that mean the hood needs to come off??

THANKS..

I don't have any LR in the filter area...just in the tank. There is enough in the tank already, don't really need any back there.

But if I had some I would just throw it in the back, without a bag.

If you remove the pumps, you have to tilt the hood all the way up but you don't have to remove it completely.

SecondBreath

My filter material is the same and I believe the gunk is normal and wouldn't worry about it until you need to replace it all. As far as removing the hood, I'd simply pop the plastic caps from the bottom portion of the hinges and swing the hood all the way back to a 90 degree angle. Red Sea mentioned that they are playing around with the idea of new hinges that allow for this wider opening...

I haven't seen the need to replace the stock filtering material yet, but I think it's to keep it in a mesh like bag.

SB, I've seen the pics of your lid mod but I was wondering if maybe you had some of the tank without the canopy attached to it. I'm trying to picture what my tank will look like with the coralife HQI canopy on it with the stock lid removed. I'm wondering if the skimmer is very exposed or not. Also do you any plans to maybe setup a refugium?

SecondBreath

Trust me the tank looks horrid without the canopy. I think aquamac has some pics of the tank without the hood though if you're interested.

No plans for a ref....between the chiller and everything else I've done to this tank I don't think i have any more room or money left to mod this. =)

I went with CustomAquatics, I got it for $679.99 including the stand and the starter kit. Shipping was $134.00 but I will have it on either Monday or Tuesday, pretty fast if you ask me. I also checked out superfishstore.com but they didn't reply to my e-mail I sent them and they didn't answer the phone when I tried to call them today. I know the price there was cheaper but I called CustomAquatics 3 times and they helped me each time. I e-mailed and called superfishstore 3 times and I never spoke with anyone. I just feel confident going with CustomAquatics. Thanks!

snake plissken

i second that, aquamac.

I made sure i got somebody on the phone at marine depot and confirmed exactly how the tank would be shipped. i felt much more confident. (especially after that "other place" ruined the first tank)

shramj - you have the added benefit of knowing somebody else on the forum got theirs through custom aquatic and was extremely pleased

Exactly, SecondBreath got his from there and is happy. I know AquaMac found superfishstore.com but I am just happy that CustomAquatics is easy to reach. I found the setup at my LFS for $899.99 before tax, so either way I am saving some money. I just like to thank this forum and everyone for everything. I was going to buy a Biocube before I read about the RedSeaMax on this thread.

Quick question, how much live sand do you recommend for this tank?

snake plissken

I was set on getting an Oceanic Biocube 29 before i researched the MAX here and elsewhere on the web. The first time i saw a BC29 at my LFS i was so impressed. now that i have a MAX and went back to see the BC, there is no comparison. The MAX blows it away.

no one tank is right for everybody and i am certianly not trying to bash the BC or any other nano tank. different tanks work best for different people. but i could not be happier with the RSM

as for sand, i had 20 pounds in my old tank. i transfered that and bought another 20 pounds to add to the MAX becasue the footpritn was bigger than my old tank. it is 3+ inches in depth now

you can see mine here

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119101

that will give you idea of what 40 pounds looks like in the MAX. then you can decide if you want more or less

SecondBreath

I've recently added a bit more sand as well to give my goby and late jawfish some more room to burrow. I'd say I'm somewhere in the 30-40 pounds.

Archived