SaltCritters.com

New Red Sea Max

SecondBreath

Very nice tank, MAX. :)

For comparison, I'm not running the skimmer in my RSMs, so there is no additional heat coming from the skimmer pump. One of the tanks has a Tunze Nanostream, which has minimal power draw and heat dissipation; the other tank does not have any extra powerheads.

Both tanks run at about 79.7 to 80.5 degrees, with the house A/C set to 75, with no chiller and without a rear hood fan.

Both tanks have quieter Sunon fans installed in the hood, which run at a lower RPM than the stock fans.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MaxReefer:

I went with an internal pump, a small 60Ogph Rio. l am just getting my tank going and I an trying to keep things as simple as possible. I am hoping to end up with a tank as nice as yours! I added the cooler because it looked like it was going to be near impossible to avoid it. I figured it was better to get it now before it's too late. So far, I have 30 pounds of live rock, about 2Olbs live sand/substrate, 2 Turbo Snails, 2 Turban Snails, 12 blue legged hermit crabs, 2 Peppermint Shimp, a Bristlestar Starfish, and 2 small red starfish. I will be adding an anemone and clownfish soon, as well as corals when I decide on which types. I would like it to be as colorful as possible. I am trying to find out what animals will live best with each other in a tank of this size. Any recommendations?

Michael

MaxReefer:

I went with an internal pump, a small 60Ogph Rio. l am just getting my tank going and I an trying to keep things as simple as possible. I am hoping to end up with a tank as nice as yours! I added the cooler because it looked like it was going to be near impossible to avoid it. I figured it was better to get it now before it's too late. So far, I have 30 pounds of live rock, about 2Olbs live sand/substrate, 2 Turbo Snails, 2 Turban Snails, 12 blue legged hermit crabs, 2 Peppermint Shimp, a Bristlestar Starfish, and 2 small red starfish. I will be adding an anemone and clownfish soon, as well as corals when I decide on which types. I would like it to be as colorful as possible. I am trying to find out what animals will live best with each other in a tank of this size. Any recommendations?

Michael

Any pics? Curious about your setup!

Where did you put the pump? In the skimmer compartment?

Most of us will end up with a chiller I guess now summer is getting here. And a chiller makes life so much easier.

Sounds like a good start with the LR and sand/substrate.

Nice CUC also. Not sure about the Starfish as I dont have any experience with them but I heard they can get quite big.

I love anemone's also and did some research about them and most suggest not to ad one before the tank is about 6 months old and they are not that easy to keep.

I have a pair of Clowns and they have made their little house in my Frogspawn.

Here are 2 links for compatibility charts for your fish:

Chart 1

Chart 2

Michael

t5%20small.jpg

I have a red sea max with stand in retail box for $575.

You can reach me at andrewthe@hotmail.com or 805-403-1957.

I hardly check my pm.

Located in Orange County, CA

01010601040201030020070610cf31d446baefe7ffa000b9c6.jpg01011001030101041020070610c173f5aad1a11f09b1001c8e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on how loud this tank is as a whole? And with the 1/15 hp chiller? I'm really considering this as my first tank, and I'd like to keep it in my bedroom. I'm just wondering how loud it gets. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Didn't know you wanted a shot of my night lights but I'll take a few and see if they come out.

As for the chiller in the stand, Red Sea has noted that this is a concern and is working on something but I imagine it will be something like you've already done with the fans. Although I can't stress how much faster and how many fewer times the chiller needs to work when it's outside of the stand altogther.

i have been running the rsm since April with great success. i installed a chiller with an external eheim pump and reducing valve. after removing all the bio balls carbon white and black filter material i am using poly floss in the return chamber. the skimmer reacts for a quite a while negatively after you insert yur hand in the tank from your skin oil i belive.

recently i have made with a hot nail two small holes in the skimmer lid which vastly improves the skimmer production...

i am seriosuly cosidering the MH upgrade if anyone can comment if they have this. mostly lps and id like to keep clams. i am wondering other than benefitting the corals who the MH and actinic lights enhance the colored and beauty of the tank

I too am toying with the idea of getting the MH upgrade for the tank, but at over $400 I am not sure what the benefit will be. That also doesn't take into consideration the price for a chiller as well, but I already have that.

Nice tank! I have the same chiller, but I recommend you move the chiller forward because there needs to be 2 feet of clearance from the back of the chiller. The hot air that the chiller releases needs room to escape.

• 2 months later...
Congrats on the new tank!

With reagrds to the new lighting, the MH is in fact much brighter and the contrast between the shaded areas and those that are brightly lit is now much greater than before.

However, the stock lighitng did light up a wider area of the tank as the MH tends to spotlight being so close to the surface of the water... this if anything, is the MH's weak point as you hear may a person point out.

That being said though, the picture doesn't do the MH lighting justice. The shimmer lines and the rays of light sparkiling in the water are hard to describe and the shaded areas now allow for more of a mxture of low-light and intense light-needing corals. =)

I just recently purchased a Redsea Max. I have not setup the tank yet, but decided to order the Nanocustoms 150 W MH with the PC and LED moonlights. I really wanted the option to add some SPS and clams which the stock lighting would not support from my readings. I am looking for some input on the temperature of the tank without the use of a chiller.

I just recently purchased a Redsea Max. I have not setup the tank yet, but decided to order the Nanocustoms 150 W MH with the PC and LED moonlights. I really wanted the option to add some SPS and clams which the stock lighting would not support from my readings. I am looking for some input on the temperature of the tank without the use of a chiller.

You can have clams as long as they are in the upper 1/3 of the tank and if you look at StevieT's thread you will see he has some SPS in his tank that are doing well also.

FH2

You can have clams as long as they are in the upper 1/3 of the tank and if you look at StevieT's thread you will see he has some SPS in his tank that are doing well also.

FH2

Sorry, I've been meaning to post some updates to this thread! My tank's still doing great and I have a clam and a variety of SPS acropora and montipora thriving under the halide lighting mod. The lighitng plus the extra nanostream pump definitly ups the temp by a few degrees (not sure exactly how much) as its really close to the surface. However, it's been a couple of months since my chiller needed to cool things down. During the summer it was definitily needed as I don't use air conditioning and the southern ca heat can raise the tank temp into the high 80's.

Bottom line is that the halide lighting (not to mention the improved LEDs) are a pretty cool upgrade to this tank. Really depends on what you wanna keep I guess.

Good luck!

I'd say the lights are fine for all but the most demanding corals. The skimmer has caused the most grief to RSM owners. I have a tunze nano on order as i couldn't ever get my skimmer to stop spewing micro bubbles.

Other than a few minor mods, the rsm is awesome for a first sw tank.

• 2 weeks later...

And we have a new RSM owner. My name is Angelo. I have had my tank up for about 3 weeks now. I purchased about 30lbs of LR from a fellow reefer that is cured. I also took 20G of his water and a cup of his sand with the pods. I def have critters in there. I noticed a brown algae bloom so I put in 5 turbo snails and 5 blue leg hermit crabs. They seem to be going to town. I did not keep in the bio balls, instead I broke up some rock and stuffed it in there

I absolutely love my MAX and think their support is incredible. That said, I am having some problems.

1. My protein skimmer doesn't seem to be collecting much in the collection cup. I do have waste in the neck of the skimmer. I don't know how open or closed I should keep the adjustment nozzle. I have it wide open right now. So open, I actually removed the nozzle. RSM also asked me if I have holes in the collection cup where the grip handle is. I DO NOT. Any of you with older tanks have these holes?

2. Bubbles. It was a lot worse before I stopped pumps from sucking up the carbon bag. I also cut the black filter in half. RSM said that could interrupt the flow of water. I still do have bubbles floating around and it is anoying. They also mentioned to maybe remove the fine white filter all together.

3. Heat. As spoke about in this post, RSM is sending me a fan to install in the back of the hood. my tank is at 81 degrees at this time. If I need a chiller I will look into that. I will be worried in the summer months. I would hate to leave my air conditioner on just for the tank. at this point I have my heater OFF and my tank is still at 81-82

Thank for reading. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will add some pics tonight

Thanks,

Angelo

Angelo,

The skimmer will produce more as the bio load increases. I kept my air screw about 1/2 way. I did end up replacing the stock skimmer with a tunze nano 9002 as could not handle the micro bubbles. RSM support was good, they gave me another skimmer but it wasn't any better. The stock skimmer did do a good job skimming once its broken in and there's something to skim.

Check out rsmreefers.com. rsm owners from around the world website.

• 5 months later...

I got mine on Ebay 2 weeks ago from Aloha Aquariums/Elegant Reef for less than $550, it included a brand new RSM tank and stand. I picked it up in Long Beach, CA. You can also call the owner (Matt) and mention my name, Ryan. I am not a vendor but I would just like to share my awesome experience and great deal. PM me for his number.

Or email me at aquino.ry@gmail.com for his number.

• 4 months later...
zenacupuncture

That is you the guy who got it on Ebay for $455.00? You are so lucky man. I was also watching that item on ebay and was with my patient when the auction ended. I email the owner and asked them that day if they have anymore but never get any feedback. Do you think that might have more in stock? Thanks bro.

I got mine on Ebay 2 weeks ago from Aloha Aquariums/Elegant Reef for less than $550, it included a brand new RSM tank and stand. I picked it up in Long Beach, CA. You can also call the owner (Matt) and mention my name, Ryan. I am not a vendor but I would just like to share my awesome experience and great deal. PM me for his number.

Or email me at aquino.ry@gmail.com for his number.

Archived