Cultivated Reef

New Red Sea Max

SecondBreath

<<<<You can select when the day lights turn on/off throughout the day.

You can also turn the night lights on or off via a seperate master switch. If you you leave the night light switch on then these lights will come on whenever the daylights turn off. If you leave this switch off then the night lights will never turn on no matter what the imer is doing. >>>>>>>>>>

In general is it advisable to leave the LED nightlights on all night, every night?

Thanks,

Yankel

:)

Not sure it makes all that much difference to those in the tank. The night/daylight cycle is important but I think the LEDs are just a visual thing for us humans so we can still watch the fish without disturbing this cycle.

I know my snails come out and my clown goes to sleep once the lights go off. =)

And my girlfriend likes the LED lights on during the night as it functions as a night light for her...

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know my snails come out and my clown goes to sleep once the lights go off. =)

And my girlfriend likes the LED lights on during the night as it functions as a night light for her...

So the LEDs help you see nocturnal activity of humans as well........ B)

So I'm now looking at a chiller for this setup. SoCal's been having some funky weather with some crazy temp swings lately and I'd rather just bite the bullet now instead of waiting for the inevitable upcoming day when I come home to find my temps through the roof...

I'll probably go with the Current USA 1/15 (good bang for the buck) and plug the heater directly into the heater outlet on the chiller vs the built in power strip. This will allow the chiller to control my heater while freeing up that built in powerstrip outlet and switch for my Nanostream which I constantly turn on and off for water changes and feeding.

Barely a month in and I already flinch when I look at my aquarium reciepts.

Thank god for tax returns! =)

I have A RSM also but I am having a hard time getting it to stop blowing bubbles back into the tank? I keep on trying to adjust the skimmer any suggestions?

I haven't completly solved this problem myself as I still have the occasional burst of bubbles but I've heard that Red Sea is working on a fix...

Sp far Red Sea has been very pro active and has been reading this and other threads to gain as much feedback as they can and they have been quick to jump in and clarify particluar issues. Althouh I would hope that they would jump in on this particular issue as I've yet to see a difinitive cuase/solution.

Some people have been able to solve this problem using various methods that I beleive are listed on this great thread

http://www.reefsuk.org/forum/viewtopic.php...sea&start=0

No bubble problem on my tank.

The skimmer on my tank has never been installed, so I'm assuming if anyone else is having issues, it's related to the skimmer.

No bubble problem on my tank.

The skimmer on my tank has never been installed, so I'm assuming if anyone else is having issues, it's related to the skimmer.

Yes; it has do with the bubbles produced by the skimmer for sure.

How and why these are escaping through the return pumps is the real question.

Update:

- Installed new Current 1/15 Prime Chiller

- Added a few small frags (Frogspawn, mixed zoas, pipe organ)

- Skunk cleaner shrimp

- Pistol and Black Ray Goby

- Open brain coral

Very busy weekend! =)

The new chiller was added becuase a) I'm experincing a bit higher temps with the new nanostream and B) SoCal summer is coming and I'd rather have my temps stable going into it, rather than coming home to a boiling tank one summer day.

So I chose the Current 1/15 USA Prime Chiller after reading reviews and seeing this hard at work at my LFS. Seemed like the best bang for the buck vs. the smaller jbj micro or the the bigger and more expensive chillers out there.

Bought 8 feet of 5/8" tubing, a couble of plastic U tubes, 6 plastic hose clamps and a pump.

Red Sea recomends putting the chiller in above the skimmer and next to the heater compartment. There's actually quite a bit of room here but to my dismay I realized that the Current chiller needs a pump capable or 300-600 gph!

The only pump I found that would fit and do the job was the rio 1400. Good pump but a very snug fit.

Also, since the heater now plugs into the dual controlled outlet on the chiller, I decided to plug my nanostream into the now empty heater outlet/switch in the Max. This is cool since I can now turn off all three pumps using the switchs when I feed the tank!

Here's a top view of the pump and the tubes running out the back.

Red_Sea_Max_Chiller_-_Shot_from_Above.jpg

Here's the chiller in the stand

Red_Sea_Max_New_Chiller.jpg

I'll post pictures of the tank with the new frags later this week, but my clown is already trying to host in the brain coral? Is that safe?

My pistol and goby dissapeared into the rear rocks and the goby comes out for food but the pistol is MIA in the rocks. Great waste of money. =)

Chiller's good. SoCal is actually a bit coller the last few days so I haven't been able to test it too much. I heard it kick in once and that was only becuase I had the cabinet door open. If it was outside the cabinet and you didn't have the lighting fans running then you'd be able to hear it start and then it quiets down quickly.

Inside the cabinet you can't hear it at all.

It is pretty "cool" and it's nice to have a stable 79 degrees no matter what now.

How's your tank? Get it wet yet?

I'll have to look into that chiller...looks good, and small, too.

My tank is on hold til next month. I'm heading out of town for about 10 days, so bring-up will have to start after I return...

SecondBreath

Thanks!

I have the heater and chiller both set to 78 degrees. which tends to be about the normal temp of my tank with the addtional heat coming from my 4 pumps.

When the room heats up and the day lights come on the tank would normally start to heat up quickly but the chiller keeps it steady at 78 degrees.

As far as I can tell with the all the varying opinions out there, 78 degrees seams to be optimal for most live stock. Some people say lower some people say higher....

Update: Per Red Sea's suggestion I cut the black filter in half and removed the fine white filter completly. This increased my water flow dramatically and removed all of the fine micro bubbles in my tank.

SecondBreath

Interesting Update:

Just spoke to Nanotuners and it would appear that they are releasing a 150w MH upgrade for the Red Sea Max this coming Monday.

Although it appears that it is solely a MH setup without the actinic lighting becuase of the heat sheild and subsequent lack of room.

They may offer actinic LED as a substitute.

What are people's thoughts on a solo MH setup? Do you lose anything by running MH only? I know the whole sunrise/sunset thing is cool but other than that?

I have 150 watt MH on my other tanks and like them a lot. No actinics or anything, and good coral growth. However 150 over a RSM will need a chiller, it's too close to the water otherwise. Of course, you already have that part covered. :)

SecondBreath

Naturally, but since I have my chiller already installed this seems like a great way for me to go! =)

Does your livestock do okay when these turn on without a sunrise/sunste effect?

I just got my RSM today and was wondering where you guys think i could place a poly filter in the back of the tank and also where can i get my phosban media bag?

SecondBreath

Not sure as I'm not familar with either product. Although Red Sea made it so that their filtering material could easily be replaced with other filtering materials.

Although I'd suggest not adding anything that would limit the flow of water to the skimmer as this leads to the dreaded "micro bubbles" that some people have experienced.

Update:

Looks like Nanotuners will be luanching the MH mod later this week when some delayed parts finnally arrive. After much pestering and persistance, they've assured me that I'm first in line for this puppy so I'll keep everyone who's interested posted on the installation.

I'll also try and post some new pics of my tank, but I'm really exicted that my Percs finally hosted my Frogspawn!

My livestock now includes;

1 pair of juvenile Percs

1 Pearly Jawfish (who continues to hide behind my rocks!)

1 High Fin Red Banded Goby

1 Randall's Psitol Shrimp (who's bonded nicely with the above goby)

1 Cleaner Shrimp

3 Astria Snails

6 Nassarius snails

5 Trochus Snails

15 Zebra hermits

1 Hitchhiking (Tiger Serpent Star just found last night!)

1 Yellow Leather

1 Branching Frogspawn

Mix of Zoos

1 Open Brain

Mix of red and blue shrooms

1 Pipe Organ

Archived