Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BSDaemon's office tank

IPv6Freely

Not to be an ass or anything, but it seems that a lot of the issues you had could have been avoided (or at least a lot of the headaches) with a bit of planning. Dry fitting the glass first... checking the diameter of the holes vs. the size of the bulkheads you were ordering...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to be an ass or anything, but it seems that a lot of the issues you had could have been avoided (or at least a lot of the headaches) with a bit of planning. Dry fitting the glass first... checking the diameter of the holes vs. the size of the bulkheads you were ordering...

Yup, I did dry fit the glass first. Seemed to be okay, but seems I was wrong.

I did check the size of the bulkheads. I ordered the exact same part number I ordered the last time... the mistake I made was in the assumption that an identical part # meant an identical part. How silly of me.

And yes, I made a lot of mistakes. Next time I know better, that it's not worth the hassle of trying to do it yourself. I would have had a tank set up a year ago for less money if I had just bought one custom built.

And again, I don't deny that I could have avoided many of my mistakes, but I'm also VERY new to all this, and I'm sure you made mistakes the first time you did something, too. Finally, beginning with "Not to be an ass or anything" does not excuse you from what you say. Pointing out the obvious to put me down as to make yourself feel superior was certainly not necessary, needed, or welcome. If you have any constructive criticism, I'd love to hear it.

sooooo....... Everything is good now? :huh:

Nah, until I can find the money for new bulkheads, I'm once again at a standstill.

I'm not trying to make myself feel superior, I've made similar mistakes in the past (and much worse). I just feel like nano-paul has taken a beating in this thread when it is unjustified. I'll leave it at that. Here's to hoping from here on out the build goes more smoothly :)

The only constructive criticism I could give at this point is to stress test it for much longer than normal since it is a DIY project. I would hate to see it bust after you've put a lot of expensive corals/fish in it :(

Marine Depot huh... I'll check it out. Never did get a reply from Savko. I guess I'll never be shopping from them again.

edit: I dont see them... i only see sch 80 ones, and even then it says "This bulkhead is slip on the side that is flanged (where you slip in a strainer) and threaded on the back side (where you can screw in a PVC pipe)." which is the opposite of what I want.

Hmmm. I just got some more of these in for my locline and it is threaded on the flanged side. Here is the link.

Flanged Threaded Bulkhead The description is opposite of the one you gave me

This bulkhead is threaded on the side that is flanged (where you screw in a strainer) and slip on the back side (where you can glue in a PVC pipe).

Hope this helps.

Steve

I'm not trying to make myself feel superior, I've made similar mistakes in the past (and much worse). I just feel like nano-paul has taken a beating in this thread when it is unjustified. I'll leave it at that. Here's to hoping from here on out the build goes more smoothly :)

The only constructive criticism I could give at this point is to stress test it for much longer than normal since it is a DIY project. I would hate to see it bust after you've put a lot of expensive corals/fish in it :(

No worries then, sorry I got defensive.

Paul didn't actually do anything WRONG, besides not being willing to do anything about the problems. I see his position, in that HE doesn't actually do anything with the glass, he's just the middle-man. But at the same time, if you're going to do business like he does on these forums, he has to be prepared to eat the costs of the occasional screw up. The cost of doing business and keeping people happy and upholding your reputation. I don't even know how many times I defended him from complaints from other users, so I'm the last person who would bash him without it being warranted.

Anyway. Yeah, I actually had it sitting in my kitchen for over a month full of water. I'm pretty confident that it will hold. My plan is to glue 12" pieces of pvc to the bulkheads, screw them in, cap the end, and fill with water and adjust to make sure the bulkheads dont leak. Then ill simply cut off the pvc with about an inch remaining, and glue the elbows on. I think that's a good plan, at least.

The one remaining problem is that theres a very good chance I could be moving in 14 months or so... so I cant help but wonder if it's even worth continuing on this project if I'm just going to have to take it down and sell the livestock (since I cant take it across the border). I might do a FOWLR just so I don't have to deal with the corals and such. Then I could do predators too if I wanted...

Hmmm. I just got some more of these in for my locline and it is threaded on the flanged side. Here is the link.

Flanged Threaded Bulkhead The description is opposite of the one you gave me

Hope this helps.

Steve

Appreciated, but they don't seem to have 3/4" ones.

I got an email from savko saying their bulkheads are all now the same size, so I'm going to try ordering from them again.

OMFG I'm going to snap.... the bulkheads I ordered, while still being 3/4"... are significantly larger than the old ones. WHAT. THE. EFF.

img0943zv6.jpg

Both are 3/4" bulkheads.

Both say 3/4" (1 7/16" - 1.5" hole) on the website.

Notice the one on the left is bigger? yeah... doesn't fit in the hole in the tank.

Notice that its been glued? yeah... that means i cant return it, either.

LOVELY.

that one on the left is 3/4 female slip while the one on the right is 3/4 inch male thread

so yes while they are both techicaly 3/4 the new ones you bought would actually be considered a 1 inch bulkhead and not a 3/4

sorry about all your headaches man

• 1 year later...
The one remaining problem is that theres a very good chance I could be moving in 14 months or so... so I cant help but wonder if it's even worth continuing on this project if I'm just going to have to take it down and sell the livestock (since I cant take it across the border). I might do a FOWLR just so I don't have to deal with the corals and such. Then I could do predators too if I wanted...

I figure I should update this page even though this project is officially dead, since I'm trying to sell the tank and stand.

I did indeed move, but unfortunately rather than making it to Canada, we went the opposite direction and I'm now in San Diego, CA. We moved into an 830 sq ft condo, and I simply don't have the room for it.

I wanted to mention that I actually ended up having the tank sitting in my old kitchen full of water for a good 3+ months. I'm fully confident that it will hold. It was an experience getting the glass together, but I'm happy I did it.

I have it listed in the hardware classifieds here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246933

I'm asking $300 OBO for it. OBO not because I don't think it's worth $300 (its certainly worth much more in my opinion), but because I'd really like to see it sell ASAP.

Looking forward to maybe buying something a bit smaller, maybe 10-15g, just for fun. It'd be silly to be in socal and not have some sort of tank going! I miss the hobby, I just unfortunately can't continue with it with the size of the tank I have now.

Archived