Pod Your Reef

BSDaemon's office tank

IPv6Freely

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, figured its probably easier to take apart while still somewhat wet, even if it did make a hell of a mess on the glass. I'm gonna be scraping silicone for hours...

2027207594_b01526edd7.jpg

2026407147_d66e8814e1.jpg

2027212376_3bbb0d04bd.jpg

2026403035_308bdae00e.jpg

:( :( :(:huh: :huh: :mellow: :mellow: :angry: :angry:

Keep trying!!!!!

Go to the store and get some MEK. Its a solvent in the paint section at Lowes or HD. It will make it easier to get all that caulking off of it. ;)

You will get it figured out. I have faith :)

Thanks man.

Correct me if I'm wrong... would it not actually be easier to assemble a tank on its side? with the exception of the bottom piece, everything else would just kind of hold itself together under its own weight...

Thanks man.

Correct me if I'm wrong... would it not actually be easier to assemble a tank on its side? with the exception of the bottom piece, everything else would just kind of hold itself together under its own weight...

I always built mine right side up. Go get you some coner clamps. It will help you keep everything square and hold it together.

Lookie what came today!!!!

bsdaemon04.jpg

That slide out tray in the stand is awesome! We have those in our kitchen cabinets... never thought of them for a stand.

I always built mine right side up. Go get you some coner clamps. It will help you keep everything square and hold it together.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try those. Half the problem putting it together is that the side pieces wanted to slide inward. And this time I need to make sure I remove the tape right away before the silicone dries.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try those. Half the problem putting it together is that the side pieces wanted to slide inward. And this time I need to make sure I remove the tape right away before the silicone dries.

The corner clamps will stop that problem for sure, and you wont need a single piece of tape since you have that strap you can put at the bottom.

Keep trying!!!!!

Go to the store and get some MEK. Its a solvent in the paint section at Lowes or HD. It will make it easier to get all that caulking off of it. ;)

You will get it figured out. I have faith :)

Methyl ethyl ketone, correct? I just got some. Along with another strap clamp and a set of 4 corner clamps ($60 later...)

Methyl ethyl ketone, correct? I just got some. Along with another strap clamp and a set of 4 corner clamps ($60 later...)

Yep thats the stuff! Take it outside when you clean it. It smells horrible :)

Ive got an outside door right beside where the tank is being assembled (my kitchen.... which now looks like a bomb hit it) so its not so bad. I'm not finding its really doing a whole lot though.... i still have to scrape with a razorblade... a lot.

I second that, be sure to take it outside and use protection, it is a carcinogen. We used it while building a cloth covered ultralight airplane my senior year in highschool and it would smell up the entire building we were working in even with the windows open and fans on.

Ah, good times.

That stand looks increadible btw, cant wait to see it with the tank built.

Well here we are, weeks later. I've been busy studying for my BSCI exam (which I passed) and been scraping my glass on and off during that time. (My god... what a tedious task....)

So I finally get done scraping, and decide I'm going to put the damn thing together. I decide I'm going to try the assembly on its side thing I had mentioned. Back piece on the table, then bottom, then both sides, and then sit the front on the top of all of it.

First 4 pieces went smoothly. I had nice even coverage between the panes (something I didnt have last time) and the silicone in the corners looked great. Except... there was something odd going on... the one side of the bottom piece of glass was too short.

I went on to add the front panel to the top, and all looked good except for...

2077577630_efc5297704_b.jpg

Yes, thats a gap. I took a picture with a tape measure:

2076790557_a16bf1815e_b.jpg

For some reason, I march on. Little extra silicone in that gap, it'll be all good. I put my strap clamps around the tank, did my inside seals, let it sit for a while, and then I went to tip the tank upright after a while... thinking that flipping it upright should be no big deal. WRONG. The bottom pane flops down as I tip the tank up, because of the gap. So now I have silicone everywhere. I go to put it all back together, no longer caring that I was getting silicone everywhere. Get it all back together, and look at the inside seals (of which I'd already removed the tape from - I had really nice clean lines, too). They were all crap - and dry enough that adding silicone would have done a whole lot of nothing. So....... I had two options. Smash the tank (oh how badly I wanted to at that point...) or rip it all apart, spend another couple weeks scraping glass, and try again.

I went with option B.

Here is the aftermath of attempt 2:

2077578128_48c5d01e90_b.jpg

2076791047_74717acf47_b.jpg

I seriously felt like I was going to cry while I was taking it all apart....

Is there anyone in the KC area who has put a tank together before and is GOOD at it? I'm talking nice clean thin seams?

Also... nano-paul... what are we going to do about the glass that doesn't fit? I'm not sure yet which part it is thats actually not the right size... I'll have to wait until it's all dry to measure.

What a sh1tty night... -_-:angry:

i find that a bit of isopropanol also does wonders when scrapping off silicon. Or even hydrogen peroxide, otherwise you get really thin residues

I was using that MEK stuff that nanopaul suggested. It works well, but I went through a LOt of razor blades. They dull really really quickly. Still good for most things, but they very quickly lose their edge when it comes to scraping glass.

I seriously don't know what to do... I'm going to be afraid of screwing it up again, not to mention the glass not being the right size...

do your blades dull that fast? I was able to go through a few a few tries with a single blade. Perhaps try using a diff angle?

anyways, one of my pieces came in wrong too. Paul sent you a replacement within a day and it was polished and everything. I still have the old piece, I got no idea what to do with it but it's still here. I wouldn't worry too much as he has great customer service. The hard part will be figuring out which panel is short where.

Can I ask if you have silicon between the panes as well? As Im quite suprised you weren't able to catch the size diff when you taped up your tank.

interesting arrangement on your glass...you have 2 end piece on top of the bottom...while the front and back is at the sides? never seen tanks built like that...

have you tried starting with the bottom piece and build the 4 walls on top/side of it? to me that would be easier to brace

do your blades dull that fast? I was able to go through a few a few tries with a single blade. Perhaps try using a diff angle?

anyways, one of my pieces came in wrong too. Paul sent you a replacement within a day and it was polished and everything. I still have the old piece, I got no idea what to do with it but it's still here. I wouldn't worry too much as he has great customer service. The hard part will be figuring out which panel is short where.

Can I ask if you have silicon between the panes as well? As Im quite suprised you weren't able to catch the size diff when you taped up your tank.

Yeah, he's service is amazing :)

Yes, there is silicone between the panes. I did notice the difference before I added the last pane, but I thought perhaps I could fudge it and just seal it real good. But then it all went to hell.

Oh, yes the razors get dull quickly... if youre scraping along the edge, if you nick the edge at all, it gets dull quick. It's not a big deal, blades are cheap anyway. Oh, and I didn't use any tape, the strap clamps and the corner clamps would have been plenty, had it not become one big clusterfudge.

interesting arrangement on your glass...you have 2 end piece on top of the bottom...while the front and back is at the sides? never seen tanks built like that...

have you tried starting with the bottom piece and build the 4 walls on top/side of it? to me that would be easier to brace

not quite. the back pane (with the holes) sits flat on the table. The bottom piece gets added next, then the two side pieces, and then the front piece goes on top. I just thought I'd try it, since I was thinking that the front panel's weight would hold everything together until it was dry enough to tip upright. It seemed to be working very well actually, until i tried adding the last pane, which also went very well.... I'd consider doing it this way again, actually.

The first attempt (go back a page) I built it the "normal" way, and it just was a big mess.

oh that large of a gap? My one tank had a 3mm gap so I couldn't fudge it. too skarred. Just wait for the new years to come and try again I'd say. Shipping right now would be a larger cluster of fudges than even trying to reseal the tank

oh that large of a gap? My one tank had a 3mm gap so I couldn't fudge it. too skarred. Just wait for the new years to come and try again I'd say. Shipping right now would be a larger cluster of fudges than even trying to reseal the tank

yeah its a pretty freakin big gap.... and you're right about the shipping...

Well, it's definitely the bottom pane that is the problem.

2079376870_4d08d279de_b.jpg

2078587095_fa38d04b73_b.jpg

I guess I'll PM nano-paul, see what he can do.

I'm also starting to wonder if it would be easier to assemble if the four sides sit ON the bottom piece instead of AROUND the bottom piece...

Sucks to read up on this thread and find that you're having difficulties w/the glass.

Hopefully Nano-Paul will fix you up nicely. This must've been really frustrating.

Man ... even Jack in the Box double checks that my $1 burger is correct before they give it to me LOL That's just sad. Good thing you've been sucking up to nano-paul. You could have your replacement glass before Easter :)

Archived