ReefCleaners.org

BSDaemon's office tank

IPv6Freely

Wow......just read this entire thread.

BSDaemon, I'm truly sorry to read this. So many problems. I ran across this while researching tank builds.....you just scared me away from it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow......just read this entire thread.

BSDaemon, I'm truly sorry to read this. So many problems. I ran across this while researching tank builds.....you just scared me away from it.

Yeah... I don't really even know what to reply with... it really blows that its going to be over a year since I started planning this thing. BLAH. I'm all for custom tanks, but I don't think I'd ever try to build my own again... not worth the time, effort, hassle, etc.

On another note, does anyone know where I can find SHORT bulkheads that are threaded on the inside (inside the tank) and slip on the outside (towards the plumbing)?

And/or has anyone ever tried just cutting an inch off the end of the bulkhead to make it shorter?

So after what seems like for ever of having my tank sit in my kitchen needing paint.. I finally said to hell with it, I'm painting it right where it is. I covered my kitchen in plastic sheets, and went to town. I decided to go with the same dark blue as my 10g:

2761643734_cfbee1d5dd.jpg

So here it is...

My setup:

img0937hf2.th.jpg

After paint:

img0939eg0.th.jpg

My socks (I intentionally wore a pair I can throw away):

img0940or1.th.jpg

Finished product:

img0941dl4.th.jpg

Ankle socks. lol.

Looks awesome dude. Now you can try your hand at a little plumbing DIY. WEEEEE!

That's the part im LESS worried about... PVC plumbing is cake. Though, I need to buy and assemble and drill a sump still. I need to find some new bulkheads though... I might buy those blue ones... but my question is:

Which is worse? Black bulkheads on a blue background? Or wrong-shade blue bulkheads on a blue background (since the chances of it matching are virtually nil)

neanderthalman

I think you know what my opinion is. The black don't look bad, and I think you're better off with black bulkheads than a not-quite-right match.

To add complication, I know that blue loc-line is available....but is it also the same shade of blue?

I think you know what my opinion is. The black don't look bad, and I think you're better off with black bulkheads than a not-quite-right match.

To add complication, I know that blue loc-line is available....but is it also the same shade of blue?

Hmm, you're right. Especially since I already have all the loc-line...

Thanks.

I also found the receipt from where I ordered my bulkheads. Apparently http://savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2

I like that they very clearly explain (despite poor spelling) which side is slip and which side is threaded. Looks like I want 6 of part # 503007 and 1 of part # 503010. Actually, I guess I'll need an extra one for my sump too huh... so 7 of 503007 then.

Bleh... $55 later...

OMFG I'm going to snap.... the bulkheads I ordered, while still being 3/4"... are significantly larger than the old ones. WHAT. THE. EFF.

img0943zv6.jpg

Both are 3/4" bulkheads.

Both say 3/4" (1 7/16" - 1.5" hole) on the website.

Notice the one on the left is bigger? yeah... doesn't fit in the hole in the tank.

Notice that its been glued? yeah... that means i cant return it, either.

LOVELY.

That really sucks man.

Did you glue all of the bulkheads or just the one?

All of em, of course! Thats how things work with me...

Crap crap crap!

That really sucks man...

So you gonna order some more?

I guess, I dont know from where... clearly I cant get them from savko...

kenthenanoguy
I guess, I dont know from where... clearly I cant get them from savko...

Oh! Throws down the hate for savko!

Don't forget, they have your address....

heh i emailed them asking if they have normal sized SxT bulkheads...

It really makes me wonder at what point should I just say to hell with it and buy an all in one or something. Clearly the custom just isn't working out. The problem is that nobody would buy the tank, and it wasn't exactly cheap... I've easily put $1000 into this stupid setup already...

kenthenanoguy

Slip fittings may all be that size in order to fit the pvc. You may have to go back to the threaded fittings. I don't really know though. I just did threaded without much research on slip.

JimmyOrangeSeed

Wow, I just spent a good 30 min reading this whole thread. You have some patience. I think I would of flipped a lid about a year ago, lol. I am impressed you haven't killed anyone yet.

Oh, and I always order things through my LFS. That way when things get messed up, I just call them and then they call the manufacturer. Sure, it might be slightly more money, but then I don't have to worry about getting the wrong parts and then having to call around to get it fixed.

Wow, I just spent a good 30 min reading this whole thread. You have some patience. I think I would of flipped a lid about a year ago, lol. I am impressed you haven't killed anyone yet.

Oh, and I always order things through my LFS. That way when things get messed up, I just call them and then they call the manufacturer. Sure, it might be slightly more money, but then I don't have to worry about getting the wrong parts and then having to call around to get it fixed.

If only I had an LFS... heh

JimmyOrangeSeed
If only I had an LFS... heh

Ouch -

I have always thought it would be fun to build my own tank but I think you might of changed my mind. I am amazed at how much work it really is.

Not to discourage or take away from your project but do you ever check Craigslist for aquariums ? You can usually get a pretty good set-up for pretty cheap. My 55g only cost me $55. And it came with everything I could possible need to set it up.

Just an idea.

Ouch -

I have always thought it would be fun to build my own tank but I think you might of changed my mind. I am amazed at how much work it really is.

Not to discourage or take away from your project but do you ever check Craigslist for aquariums ? You can usually get a pretty good set-up for pretty cheap. My 55g only cost me $55. And it came with everything I could possible need to set it up.

Just an idea.

Yeah, and I could have gone that way, or even got a tank and drilled it. But I wanted custom. I wanted everything to be made so it was better than anything I could buy in a store. That idea clearly went horribly wrong.

Dude I just sat here and read this entire thread. I feel your pain. I would have taken the a sledge to the glass and mailed it back to him in a box with a sh!t in it before I closed it up. Did you find your bulkheads? Marinedepot has Threaded on the tank side and slip in the back like you want. I just ordered some for my locline application.

Steve

Dude I just sat here and read this entire thread. I feel your pain. I would have taken the a sledge to the glass and mailed it back to him in a box with a sh!t in it before I closed it up. Did you find your bulkheads? Marinedepot has Threaded on the tank side and slip in the back like you want. I just ordered some for my locline application.

Steve

Oh the number of times I felt like smashing it.... especially with it being tempered, it would have been really fun.

Marine Depot huh... I'll check it out. Never did get a reply from Savko. I guess I'll never be shopping from them again.

edit: I dont see them... i only see sch 80 ones, and even then it says "This bulkhead is slip on the side that is flanged (where you slip in a strainer) and threaded on the back side (where you can screw in a PVC pipe)." which is the opposite of what I want.

I -finally- got an email from savko this morning:

A year ago I did not have them nor did I have them marked as such but I do

now have them. As of 1/8/09 all 3/4" bulk heads take the same size hole

Marvin

So I guess I'll try again...

• 1 month later...
I -finally- got an email from savko this morning:

So I guess I'll try again...

I read this whole thread last night. I'm sorry for all your trouble. It reads like something that would happen to me. I hope things are going better now.

Archived