Innovative Marine Aquariums

35g custom tank and stand

IPv6Freely

Selling the tank and stand that I had worked on a while back - never did use it, unfortunately. Just don't have room for it now.

Tank dimensions are 36W x 12D x 19H, approx 35 gallons. Glass is 3/8" thick, low-iron on the front and sides. The back is drilled for a 1" drain, a 3/4" return, with 5 additional holes for a closed loop system using an OM Squirt (I have the squirt somewhere, but not sure where). The silicone is black.

The back is also painted with dark blue Krylon Fusion. I didn't want black, but I also didn't want the tacky light blue. This colour looks great, in my opinion!

The stand is 37.5W x 18.5D x 36H (the stand is deeper than the tank so that there was more room for equipment inside the stand. See photos). The stand also has a built in drawer, and included is a power strip with 8 switches (see photos).

The hood is 37.5W x 13.5D x 14H and has a flip-up front. The hood was also designed with a slide out panel that the lighting can attach to, allowing for easy removal for tank maintenance.

The custom tank cost almost $400, and the stand cost nearly $500 including the power strip. I'm looking for $150 OBO FREE! for the whole setup. I'm located in downtown San Diego. Unfortunately I'm unable to deliver the tank to you (sure as heck wont fit it into my car...) so you'd need to pick it up here. I'm right off I-5, and super easy to get to.

Photos:

p6060230.jpg

p6060231.jpg

p6060236.jpg

p6060234.jpg

p6060233.jpg

p6060232.jpg

swimmingswammi

That is a beautiful stand. Who built it? How is it finished? Do you have a model number and manufacturer? It looks like solid maple? What do you know about the construction? Is plywood used? Were any special customizations done because this is a fish tank stand different from another piece of furniture?

The tank is custom built. Who made it for you? What is their experience in tank building? I do not know what low iron glass is. Can you provide a link so I can understand the benefits of this.

The tank also seemed to have two water lines stains on the front glass. How long has it been used?

That is a beautiful stand. Who built it? How is it finished? Do you have a model number and manufacturer? It looks like solid maple? What do you know about the construction? Is plywood used? Were any special customizations done because this is a fish tank stand different from another piece of furniture?

Some friends in Kansas City built it for me. This is their website: http://www.kccustomaquatics.com/gallery.html

There is no model # obviously, since it was custom made to my specs. I honestly don't know the wood type - its fairly light. It's quite heavy and really is solid construction. Lots of customization.. see the photos. The tank sits down in it about 2" so you don't see the bottom of the tank from the front.

The tank is custom built. Who made it for you? What is their experience in tank building? I do not know what low iron glass is. Can you provide a link so I can understand the benefits of this.

I built it myself using glass I bought from nano-paul. I had a lot of issues building it as it was my first time, but it ended up being okay in the end. If you REALLY don't trust my handiwork, theres always the option to re-seal it. But thats the easy part - the tank itself is amazing.

As far as the low-iron glass, it's just simply less green than normal glass. It often goes by the brand name "starphire" whether it is actually made by them or not. See the difference:

starphire-regular-glass.jpg

The tank also seemed to have two water lines stains on the front glass. How long has it been used?

It held water for about 3 months sitting on my kitchen floor, after I had sealed it. Since I built it myself I wasn't happy water-testing it for a couple days, I REALLY wanted to make sure it would hold up. It's never been used though. I built all this and then moved into a condo where I just simply don't have the space for it. I MIGHT get a smaller AIO tank, but since I know im moving again eventually I may just not bother.

Thanks for looking, let me know if you're interested!

swimmingswammi

Can you post close up pictures of the stand. I would like to see the "rings" of the wood: not the panel side but the part of the wood that is cut which reveals the wood's rings/age. This will help determine if this is plywood or solid wood construction. I know you ordered this stand by specification. What else did you request they include in this stand. Also if there was a link to the original stand that you used as the prototype for your stand that would be great. I could not find it.

Have you found the squirt?

Can you post close up pictures of the stand. I would like to see the "rings" of the wood: not the panel side but the part of the wood that is cut which reveals the wood's rings/age. This will help determine if this is plywood or solid wood construction. I know you ordered this stand by specification. What else did you request they include in this stand. Also if there was a link to the original stand that you used as the prototype for your stand that would be great. I could not find it.

Have you found the squirt?

It took me a minute to find an edge that was unfinished. It's definitely some sort of plywood, but the finish really is nice. I opted for it to be lighter so it's only veneered, with no stain. If I had the time and motivation (and planned on keeping it) I think I'd stain it dark.

closeupg.jpg

There wasn't much else I asked for... the hood design, the drawer, and the power strip were all my specifications, as well as the cutout for the plumbing at the back.

As far as the "original stand", I cant find the exact one but I'm pretty sure it was made by these guys (because they have a similar one on their site):

aqa16_large.jpg

I haven't found the OM Squirt, but I think I may have an idea of where it may be (in a box at the back of our storage closet...). I'll try to find it.

swimmingswammi

even though this is plywood it is very beautiful.

the maple finish is also still very nice and I like maple not stained; and staining it would require first removing the varnish. Do you know if they did the three coats of varnish usually done with furniture? How does it feel to the touch, smooth or bumpy as if there were lots of dust in the varnish? I love beautiful furniture and this would be a prize piece.

Since this was also moved from Kansas City to San Diego, can you provide pictures of the sides and show any damage incurred during the move?

I would just come out and see it but I am in Los Angeles area and dont get down to San Diego very often.

It took me a minute to find an edge that was unfinished. It's definitely some sort of plywood, but the finish really is nice. I opted for it to be lighter so it's only veneered, with no stain. If I had the time and motivation (and planned on keeping it) I think I'd stain it dark.

closeupg.jpg

There wasn't much else I asked for... the hood design, the drawer, and the power strip were all my specifications, as well as the cutout for the plumbing at the back.

As far as the "original stand", I cant find the exact one but I'm pretty sure it was made by these guys (because they have a similar one on their site):

aqa16_large.jpg

I haven't found the OM Squirt, but I think I may have an idea of where it may be (in a box at the back of our storage closet...). I'll try to find it.

That is a nice setup, well thought out. If I had room I would buy it today without questions for your asking price.

even though this is plywood it is very beautiful.

the maple finish is also still very nice and I like maple not stained; and staining it would require first removing the varnish. Do you know if they did the three coats of varnish usually done with furniture? How does it feel to the touch, smooth or bumpy as if there were lots of dust in the varnish? I love beautiful furniture and this would be a prize piece.

Since this was also moved from Kansas City to San Diego, can you provide pictures of the sides and show any damage incurred during the move?

I would just come out and see it but I am in Los Angeles area and dont get down to San Diego very often.

They did an excellent job for the most part. Lots of pics of the stand build here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1346908

If you saw their site ( http://www.kccustomaquatics.com/ ) , you can see the amazing work they've done. There are some minor imperfections - the finish isn't exactly smooth as glass, and you can see the spots where they used nails (only if youre really looking). There was zero damage in the move. The only real flaw with the stand is that the front doors have warped slightly:

warped.jpg

• 6 months later...

Bumping to get rid of this thing taking up space. $150 OBO, not including the power strip. In the San Diego downtown area. If this isn't gone soon, it's going in the dumpster.

Yea it's gorgeous, but its also taking up space. Valuable space. I currently have to climb over a spare bed to get to my desk. BUMP!

beautiful tank ! i cant believe no one wants it?!!! that is a killer price , im surprised its not gone yet. I wish i lived closer to you !

Yea, considering it cost me close to $1000 for it, and has never been used. I've just moved on to other hobbies.

Rabidgerbil38

I wish I could bring this home, but my lady would kill me for it :P I really hope you find a good home for this great piece!

damn! free bump for a free tank!

ive got family in san diego...maybe i can convince my uncle to pick it up in his MG...probably bigger than the car and weighs twice as much though

if this thing doesnt get picked up and soon, San Diego is the lamest town ever ! and i LOVE San Diego, so please pick it up !! this thing should have sold at $150 , he should have a LINE if he is giving it away for free.... crazy.

Archived