ReefCleaners.org

Mr. Fosi's budget 20L

Mr. Fosi

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife & I don't eat out... ever.

Thanks for the thought, though. ;)

Cal: Many thanks! :) Good luck on the move, they always suck.

My wife & I don't eat out... ever.

Thanks for the thought, though. ;)

Cal: Many thanks! :) Good luck on the move, they always suck.

How can you never eat out? :lol:

The first FTS of my new 20L. Yay! :)

1.17.07.first.FTS.p.jpg

i don't know if it has been brought to your attention fosi, but it looks likes the ledge is slipping on the right side of your stand. above the "07" in 2007 in the date.

otherwise, nice looking tank. i am still contemplating drilling or using a hob overflow like yourself.

Thank you for the heads-up. :) It is actually a combination of a bad nailing job & warped wood. It hasn't changed since I first constructed it.

If I had the $$ & time to break a couple tanks, I would drill. The HOB is a great method IMO, especially if you would like to use the tank for something else in the future.

Funny you should ask that trav. ;) After I got done updating with the above pics, I realized that I didn't have anay of the xenia. When I went to tank to get some pics I couldn't find it. :o

One of the snails knocked the frag over so the polyps were completely in the shade. When I turned the rock over, they looked pi$sed; all bunched up like stumpy baobab trees. I let them go for a couple days, hoping they would perk up but they still look mad. I moved them from their position in this pic to a spot under an overhang where the current isn't too strong & the light is dimmer.

1.21.07.xenia.p.jpg

Also, here is an FTS. I did a little el-cheapo panorama to salvage a little of the detail. It isn't perfect, but it is better than shooting it from 4' away just to get the whole thing in the frame.

I can't seem to keep FTS images from washing out, I have even tried using ISO800...

1.21.07.panorama.2.p.jpg

tank is really coming along nicely. it looks so much better now with sand and the bubbles gone. hopefully those little xeniids will make it through eventually. they have been holding strong so far :rolleyes:

Nice job, Fosi. Sorry about the lack of replies... busy week. As you know, I had drill this weekend with the addition of Friday as a mandatory training day. Anyways, in response to your invitation, I'd love to... however not this week... as tomorrow I'll have to take care of this broken molar. I've got a root canal and a cap scheduled tomorrow, and I have no idea what to expect (pain-wise) in the aftermath. Here's to the pain. But just like this thread shows.... no pain, no gain.

I suppose serving the country is a good enough explanation of your lack of posts on my thread. ;)

Also, good luck on the dental work man. :scarry:;)

Seriously though, I am sure that it will go well. My mom had a couple root canals & she never had any serious pain, so I hope that you have the same experience.

I think I will try my hand at fragging off individual zoas & mushrooms tomorrow. Now that the 20L is up, I want to get the 2.5 broken down.

Based on replys in another thread (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=108999&hl=) I am going to frag off the organisms of interest & cook the rest. It is going to be a pain because many of the zoas have walked around while trying to get away from the GHA, so it is going to be touchy trying to get them off without injuring them. I am going to try it anyway because I really don't want to add the live GHA to the new tank & I don't want it dying in there and dumping out all nutrients bound up in its tissues.

I gutted the 2.5g so here are some frag pics. Most of the rock from the 2.5g is in a 5g bucket in my back bathroom where there is no light. I am going to leave it in there for at least a week before I think about doing anything with it. I will likely leave it in there for more like three weeks & do a 100% waterchange each week.

Thee pics were taken in the early afternoon (12ish) after the light had been on for at least 4 hours. Things look marginally better than this when I came home tonight, but after teaching a night biology lab to a bunch of freshman I wasn't going to snap any 10PM pics. :P

In the interest of full disclosure, I brought up the red channel on several of these pics because they were so darn blue & I can't seem to get my camera to compensate properly under all conditions. I was marginally sucessful at making them look more like what I saw & less like blue-on-blue.

For what it's worth, I think this was a successful first fragging attempt, even if all the mushrooms are still angry. Some of the frags are quite small, but I have a very limited budget so it is best interest to save everything that I can. "Waste not, want not" or "Don't be careless & you'll have plenty of beautiful marine organisms to grow, admire, & trade". B)

1.23.07.green.zoas.4.p.jpg

1.23.07.angry.shroom.1.p.jpg

1.23.07.angry.shroom.2.p.jpg

1.23.07.angry.shroom.3.p.jpg

1.23.07.polyp.frag.p.jpg

1.23.07.green.zoas.3.p.jpg

1.23.07.yellow.zoas.p.jpg

And here is a pic of the xenia, now that I moved it to an area of less flow & light.

1.23.07.xenia.p.jpg

The frag garden in in the bottom right of the pic.

1.23.07.FTS.p.jpg

Looking good Fosi, don't forget to run down to Lowes and get the baby door locks for the cabinet doors on that stand!!!

P.S. get the baby used to sleeping through noise now, My little girl will sleep through me running a table saw and router.

bonsai reefer

Nice set up fossi mabye you bluebastian and my self can get togeather some weekend do a mini tank tour of all three :D

stoney waters

Nice progress Fosi. I like the way you have overcome obstacles and keep trucking along. When my twins were born I had to give up the hobby for a few years. They are almost eight now so its getting a bit easier.

Good job.

-Stone

just drill a 1" hole in one end and a 3/4" hole in the other end. put bulkheads in each. use a 90 degree elbow turned upward in the 1" bulkhead for a drain and then connect a tank-length spraybar to the 3/4" bulkhead so you can have even water flow. easy drilling, minimal intrusion into the tank.

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys! :blush:

fragman: No joke there. Looks like I can get the ratchet-loop-type cabinet locks at Wallyworld for about $1.50/unit.

bonsai: What area are you in?

stoney: Patience has never been a hallmark of my personality, but years of making little money have taught me to have a siege mentality about the things I want. They will come to me eventually, all I have to do is watch & wait. However, in this case, I wouldn't have this tank if a local reefer (and friend) hadn't donated it when he saw that the other one cracked. The best laid plans of mice & men, eh? B)

pets_guy: Not a bad idea, but now that it stocked I probably won't drill it; too much of a PITA. HOB overflows aren't the best thing in the world, but I can install it once I get the tank for the sump & the material for the baffles.

In tank news, the GHA that came in with the little frags is growing better than I would have hoped but the chaeto is booming as well. I am not sure that I have ever seen cheato grow as fast as it is in this tank. I see newly grown, straggly loops poking out of the ever-growing mound.

I tried moving the xenia back into the light, but it clammed back up again. Back in the shade, polyps open again. Have you guys had experiece with xenia not tolerating higher intensity lighting (130W over 12.5" of water)? They are already on the sand, they can't get any lower...

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys! :blush:

fragman: No joke there. Looks like I can get the ratchet-loop-type cabinet locks at Wallyworld for about $1.50/unit.

pets_guy: Not a bad idea, but now that it stocked I probably won't drill it; too much of a PITA. HOB overflows aren't the best thing in the world, but I can install it once I get the tank for the sump & the material for the baffles.

well it IS better to drill a tank when it's full of water :P

guess i shouldn't have been too lazy to read the rest of the thread first, lol.

tank looks good, btw.

Archived