Pod Your Reef

Mr. Fosi's budget 20L

Mr. Fosi

bluebastion

Fosi, I can't believe I haven't told you about this yet. Have you tried pulling the GHA off the rock first? That is what worked for me. You've got to pull out as much as you can, by hand, from the rock. The turbo snails *WILL* move in shortly after. I don't know what causes this... but it happened in multiple areas of my tank. Maybe there is some kind of aroma in the water that is released (likened to freshly peeled oranges) that stimulates the hunger of the snails.

The turbos will ignore until I pluck as much as I can from that area... then magically, when I get up the next day, the GHA is gone. Too bad the GHA fairy didn't leave a dollar for every strand of GHA it left with. I'd be setting up a new tank...

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I (and my wife + baby) were in FL for five weeks and we just arrived home yesterday.

Before we left, it was a scramble to find someone who could watch over my 20g SW, my 10g FW and my tomato plant. In the end, I was able to find one experienced aquarist (bluebastion) and one non-aquarist (neighbor) who were each willing to stop in once a week to top off the SW tank, feed the fish, and water the tomato plant. Two people, each once a week = someone checking on things every 3-4 days.

By chance, I ordered some new lamps from hellolights.com while I was out of town and I had them delivered to my home address thinking that I would install them when I got home. Soon after they arrived, blubastion noticed the tank lights weren't on when they should be. As it turned out, both of my 65W PC lamps had stopped starting up and blue was kind enough to install my new lamps for me.

The good news is that I don't appear to have any more GHA in the tank. The bad news is that no one knows how long my lights were out. The two SPS frags appear to be dead, my chalice and Madracis are badly bleached, my GSP is pi$$ed of, the mushrooms are shrivled, the kenya tree isn't very perky and my clown is acting spooky.

I am pretty worried about my two older corals: the Madracis and the chalice. The flesh of the chalice is almost completely colorless. It is actually translucent-transparant in some places which allows me to see the skeleton underneath. It is also not responding to mysis. Before this SNAFU it would extend the tentacles of all of its mouths within 1 min of mysis hitting the water. This time, it didn't respond, except to spit out some more zoaxanthellae turdlets.

My two small Madracis colonies are completely white and I would say that they are dead, except that I have glimpsed some limited tentacle extention and they ate heartily of some target-fed mysis. I have had them a long time and I would hate to see them croak.

I'll have pics in the next couple days

So here are the pics.

Dead SPS frags.

7.22.07.dead.sps.p.jpg

Bleached Madracis. At least the lower colony has a little more pigment. I stuffed them full of mysis last night and dropped a in couple more this evening to feed spots that were stolen from by my scarlet hermit.

7.22.07.bleached.madracis.p.jpg

Bleached chalice. An up-close look reveals that the fleshy curtain covering the edges of the skeleton is a ghostly white/transparant film. The good news is that the mounths opened up this evening, so I stuffed every one I could with a big, fat mysis. I will feed it every other day if I can because I really don't want it to croak.

07.22.07.bleached.chalice.p.jpg

My ghetto-bag attempt to cut the light down over the chalice. Seems to get the light down to approximately what the old lamps put out. It was only after I installed this that the mouths came out to feed.

07.22.07.ghetto.bag1.p.jpg

An FTS including the ghetto-bagging.

07.22.07.ghetto.bag.FTS.p.jpg

My tank sitters did me a huge favor and I don't have any blame for them. I have realized that nano reefing isn't for people who lead busy lives and have occasion to travel. One simply cannot leave ones tank in the hands of others unless those people are both experienced and plan to be living in your house the whole time you are away. If your tank-sitters only meet one or the other criteria, your tank will suffer.

I am not going to break this tank down just yet, but don't think I haven't thought about it.

wow....that sucks. I'm actually on a 5 week road trip right now, and will be back home in a week. I hope everything is going well...

I wouldn't let this discourage you, just keep on going and you will be glad. You could use the screen method to try to acclimate your corals to the brighter bulbs.

Hope it all goes well, and welcome back. :D

I don't have any screen lying about and I haven't been out and buy any. I have a list of hardware needs, incluing screening, for the next time we make a family trip to the store, but it probably won't be for a day or two.

Hope it all goes well, and welcome back. :D

Thanks. :) I doubt that I am going to be back in a major way though. Still have a lot of stuff going on, but I like to keep track of this place.

I am sure that eventually I will lose my seat on the top-ten posters. :tears: But hopefully not before I lose the "posts most in the Makeshift Lounge" stigma in my profile. omgomgomg

• 3 weeks later...

After two days of the ghetto-rigged shade, I gave the chalice full light.

The flesh hasn't started to recede and I am able to get it to eat every 4-5 days. Each time it feeds I am able to get at least three full mysis into it. The mouths still have some pigment around them, but the rest of the flesh is white/clear. I take the lack of recession as a good sign, especially because it has been a couple weeks since the bleaching event.

The GSP have started to open back up again. At first it was only three polyps, but the rest have started to come out.

Everything else looks fine, except for a fuzzy white film that has started to develop on my LR. I think it might be a bacterial film, but I can't be sure. I am also experiencing some increased algae growth on the glass. I think that these new issues have come to pass because I have been feeding the perc and the corals about 5x more than I usually do. There is no help for it because I need to keep up this feeding schedule until everyone is back where they were before I left.

I have another 5g waterchange planned as well as the addition of some more snails and possibly some dwarf blue legs. Hopefully the animals will help to clear it up and provide some more activity for Alec to look at.

I second that! Good luck Fosi! Read this thread from front to back. Man you have always bounced back after all your setbacks!

Dont give in and break it down man!

You seem very patient (more so than me!) and I am sure with time you will have it going again. :)

Glad to see you back Fosi. Don't give up yet; it may be discouraging sometimes but at you'll miss it when its gone. Its not like you lost everything, just the frags that you were just trying out anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Not your fault man. I'm the one who kept running the old lamps past their exp. date.

Killer site. It may still be under construction, but it's still pretty sweet!

In other news: the flesh of the chalice has started to recede and it won't eat anymore. I think it may be on the downslope. Also, I have a cushiony, moss-like algae cropping up on my LR. I'll get pics up eventually.

I gotta get out and get some freakin' snails...

Not your fault man. I'm the one who kept running the old lamps past their exp. date.

Killer site. It may still be under construction, but it's still pretty sweet!

In other news: the flesh of the chalice has started to recede and it won't eat anymore. I think it may be on the downslope. Also, I have a cushiony, moss-like algae cropping up on my LR. I'll get pics up eventually.

I gotta get out and get some freakin' snails...

Was the myReef function up when you accessed it? Application was closed when I went back to the server... hmmm I am trying to see how long it can run without crashing. It's a brand new dual core comp acting as a dedicated server.

Sorry about the chalice.. I can give you a decent sized frag of Euphyllia if you'd like? :) Free of course.

You know I can't turn down frags...

The myReef wasn't working, but it is now. Did the server software come with the 'Keeper?

Well, the Reef Keeper 2's myReef software has a "built in" webserver... so all you have to do is log into your host computer, on the right port.

I am using Abyss Web Server to run my site though.

I'll give you a few fresh cut frags of sps as well if you'd like.

We have two new machines... actually. The faster runs Vista. The slower (but not by much) runs XP Media Center Edition. It was purchased strictly for use as a web server.

I could have bought a better machine with Vista loaded.. but I specifically looked for an xp machine, due to compatibility issues with current programs I was looking into running. Specifically the home automation software.

The BAD: It slows down the cpu (more resources used)... Causes you to "HAVE TO" upgrade your hardware.....has a ton of compatibility issues w/ current gen software... however that is being fixed w/ patches, updates, and upgrades from respective software publishers.... and unless you're planning on buying a new machine already, it's expensive.

The GOOD:

That said, there are some favorable things... but mostly cosmetic... it at least puts vista aesthetically close to MAC OS... Media Center on Vista is beautiful and seemless (for those who like to keep media in one place)... Startup from a cold boot is a fraction of the time that XP takes. Widgets (which is nothing new to Linux users) have been added.

All in all I am happy with it... however as a warning, the only versions worth getting is Premium and Up. You lose alot of "functionality" otherwise. Also, if you do end up getting Premium or up, make sure you have a machine that can run it w/ at least (very least) 1GB of Ram.

I'm sticking with xp until the bitter end. Vista needs time to get the support in place much like xp when it first came out.

You speak truth.

Unfortunately, when you're looking to upgrade hardware (not existing hardware but a new system), Vista is force fed. Since I was also searching for an XP machine for my dedicated server, I found that sadly enough, XP machines will run you more money than a Vista machine of the same caliber. Micro$$$ way of making you bite the bullet.

• 1 month later...

Vista- New and busted.

XP- old hotness.

IMO, at least.

Great setup fosi, sorry bout the hardships, but stick with it! It's a handsome tank regardless.

You speak truth.

Unfortunately, when you're looking to upgrade hardware (not existing hardware but a new system), Vista is force fed. Since I was also searching for an XP machine for my dedicated server, I found that sadly enough, XP machines will run you more money than a Vista machine of the same caliber. Micro$$$ way of making you bite the bullet.

Bill Gates is SO 20th century.

OS10 Jaguar. Boot Camp will let you run that nasty Wind Hose stuff on the side when you have to.

Think Different.

Archived