Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr. Fosi's budget 20L

Mr. Fosi

could be an all night or multiple night(s) gig. Or you may get lucky and get something right off the bat.

Probably not the answer you want, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing yet. :(

I've baited a 2 times but nothing rose to it.

I keep saying that I am going to do it again but my son hasn't been sleeping well at night which means that I have not been sleeping well at night. Being tired makes it really hard to stay up to do the baiting properly.

Not only that, but I am currently having algae problems. I have been getting my change and topoff water from my school for the last year. It is either RO or DI but I am not sure which. Over the last couple months, I have been noticing more and more algae growth on my glass and rocks. All kinds of algae from cyano to an odd moss-like green algae. I must be the water since I hadn't changed my feeding regime.

So it is a double whammy: I'm freaking tired and my tank isn't looking its best. Those two things make it hard to gather up initiative.

I plan to start addressing the second issue today. I'm going to dump all my water and go buy some from one of the LFSs. It really sux that I have to go back to buying water but I think it needs to be done.

The Hot Magnums are amazing to watch aren't they. I have mucked my tank up so bad a few times doing re-aqauscapes, that I couldn't even see the rock in there anymore. Then I run the Magnum for a couple of hours, and it is clear as gin. :D

I can't remember if earlier in the thread if I read that you were light on CUC? Do you think a few more would help with the algae? I guess you are right though, find the source of it first, which could be the water.

So it is a double whammy: I'm freaking tired and my tank isn't looking its best. Those two things make it hard to gather up initiative.

I plan to start addressing the second issue today. I'm going to dump all my water and go buy some from one of the LFSs. It really sux that I have to go back to buying water but I think it needs to be done.

I feel your pain. My tank doesn't really look that great right now either. My family doesn't seem to get it, but when my tank looks like crap, I'm generally stressed out and in a bad mood. Hopefully, I can get back to a point that'll keep my satisfied...

Yeah, I'm sorry about them too. I really liked my original fish and that new one had a lot of potential. :(

I've always needed to baste because I don't load my tanks up with CUC members. My 5.5g would get hella snowy.

Also, I saw a possible return plumbing setup I like. This is a pic of reefdan's tank.

possible.return.plumbing.small.jpg

I'm not sure I like all the 90-degree elbows but I like the general look. I like it enough that it has started me thinking seriously about getting that sump plumbed in (finally). I really want to get those AC70s off my tank and get my chaeto and the mangroves in a sump... My only concern is leaving it over Christmas.

On the other hand, if I got it setup now I would have plenty of time to get the bugs worked out.

Hey,

If you do your returns like this you can hide them using hydralic water stop and CC or sand. The pipe will look like tonga branch instead of a man made object. You work with it in minutes and it sets and is ready to go in your tank in about 6 hours. The good thing is there is no pH shift so it can go in the next day. Just a thought.

I know that it bonds to acrylic and I am pretty sure that it does bond to glass as well. I think the advantage is that it does not pull on the glass cracking it.

If you are wanting to make a rock wall or something like that you can use eggcrete. I did that on my mantis tank and attached it with a clamp. I can move the wall around when I want. You can also make a rock holder for a PH as well like the tunze rocks.

Look over on RC's DIY under reef ceramics thread with Mr. Wilson (not OP) that discusses it in detail. I am walking out the door or I would post a link. I know that it has been discussed in the last day or 2 so it should be easy to find.

Some interesting/good news: The water pump fairy left me a Mag5, a Mag9.5, an MJ1200 and a 2x65W ballast.

I think the 9.5 solves my flow concerns since the datasheet states that it'll push 800gph at 4'. I may need to get a new impeller cover for it because it looks like there is a piece missing from the socket that holds the impeller straight.

My other option would be to run both the 5s... Now my problem isn't finding enough water movement, it's deciding how to configure it. :rolleyes:

These pumps can be run externally or in sump, opinions on which way would be better and why?

Truck_Under_Water

External Use Note

this is the only precaution i could find as far as using one externally. I looked on Danner's site as well as Aquatic Eco Sys. and didn't find anything saying anything about not using one externally.

Meh, food for thought.

I see that MarineDepot.com says that they are not recommended for external use, but the same guy who passed these pumps to me said that he used the 5 externally to run his calcuim reactor and had no complaints.

He didn't vouch for the 9.5 though and that was probably because it is missing 4 of the six screws that hold the impeller housing to the body.

Perhaps I should email Danner Mfg.

EDIT: I agree that Danner says nothing on either the site or the pump datasheets. I'm going to email them.

Any other pro/cons?

I hate double posting in my own threads but... I scored some other equipment as well.

- 2-3 (3/4"?) bulkheads

- 4x3/4" ball valves which will come in handy in the pump plumbing

- some 3/4" threaded-end loc-line assemblies, also handy for the upcoming plumbing

- a sweet little 1x24-36W PC light housing including a nice reflector (good for a possible 2.5g Q-tank)

- a small AC powerfilter (Q-tank)

- assorted threaded, non-threaded and double male/female schedule 40 hosebarbs and couplings

- some 1/2" and 3/4" adjustable PVC couplings

- bunch of zip ties -- which will solve my "If I only had a bigger/smaller tie" problems

- some MJ fittings

- one more 2x65W ballast -- I want to have a couple backups for the stock ballasts in my Odyssea fixtures

- silicone air hose -- holds up to UV and alkaline environments much better than vinyl

I'm a stoked! The shutoffs alone saved me $7 on my plumbing plans and the loc-line will help me keep my flow options open.

Now I just need to draw up some plans. Where's my graph paper?! B)

I draw out all my designs before I actually start fabrication and I have a log of the designs I've fabricated or plan to fabricate.

After I get it made, I make a note on the drawing regarding the points of success or failure and some notes on what changes might be advisable.

As far as the plumbing goes, I can't decide between 3/4" or 1" plumbing. 1" would let me get a little more flow out of whatever pump I use but I might be able to do about the same with thin-wall (Sch. 40?) PVC. Additionally, there are two designs that I have in mind, both of which have their problems. Here's a pic:

ideas.1.PNG

Gotta love MSPaint! The red things are ball valves.

In other news: I called Danner Mfg. because their district rep didn't get back to me. They said that both Mag 5 and Mag 9.5 pumps can be used "in-line" (a.k.a. externally) and they are sending me a new set of screws for the 9.5 free of charge.

I am also considering a slight re-design of the sump that includes another baffle. I like the duplex sump design but I don't have enough room to make a return chamber and keep all the egg crate.

Not yet. Two nocturnal baiting sessions yielded zippo... I've gotta do it at least a few more times but it's tough to do when the baby doesn't let us sleep.

Archived