SaltCritters.com

Mr. Fosi's budget 20L

Mr. Fosi

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, I forgot that you mentioned the 2nd grader thing. See? I really am a retard. :blush:

Wednesday should be fine.

Hey there, i was startying to get a GHA problem but i was lucky enough to spot a nice little pigmy angel hes smaller than my clowns! (1" length for the pigmy) and hes tearing up the GHA...

So where are the pics?! ;)

Also, I have the 10g for the sump/refugium & I got the eggcrate cut but I haven't had the time to get it all constructed, let alone running.

Silly me, I thought that spring break was going to be a time for me to play catch-up with my grading & end-of-semester assignments that I haven't yet started... Of course, when I got into the lab on Monday, my advisor told me that a grant whose proposal I thought was due on the 15th, was actually due the 13th (this afternoon). So I had to drop everything that I had planned to do and write the effing proposal from scratch.

The good news is that I got it done & submitted on time. The bad news is that it is tomorrow is Wednesday & haven't yet been able to work on any of the things that I had planned to work on...

We had a fun lunch on Sunday, though. B)

You have no idea, Trav. :unsure:;)

This is how it started.

3.16.07.sea.hare.protection.0.p.jpg

I made one...

3.16.07.sea.hare.protection.2.p.jpg

Then I made another...

3.16.07.FTS.p.jpg

To prepare for...

3.16.07.hea.hare.1.p.jpg

3.16.07.hea.hare.4.p.jpg

I am hoping that it takes a toll on the GHA.

In other news, I have everything I need to make my sump. Tomorrow is the day that I have slated to work on it. Hopefully I will be able to get the baffle siliconed in, the eggcrate all zip-tied together, & an anti-splash device for the seaclone output.

The overflow will be soft plumbed & I was thinking about buying a new pump for the sump but they are all too pricy... So I will probably fall back on my original Magnum 350 plan. I'm going to get less than 200gph out of it, but that it fine by me. At least this way I will have a place to hide my chaeto, mangroves, heater, etc...

I will update again when there is something to update.

Sup Fosi...

Tank has a lot of character sir...I like.

SEA Hair is out of this world cool...Hope it takes him awhile to eat up so you can

enjoy him.

Good luck

Izzue

bluebastion

Fosi,

Thanks for helping me *cough* (doing most of the work) make the sump for my wife's sea horse tank. I've siliconed the baffles already, and they are rock solid. Now just waiting for the overflow (ETA Monday).... Also ordered some LR rubble from Premium Aquatics for the refugium area.

Anyways... thought you might think this thread off of Reef Central to be interesting... especially since I was once a disbeliever/infidel:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

A little something to tickle your fancy for any future upgrades...

EDIT: And yes I wrote this post this early... can't sleep due to an upset stomach. Gives me an "excuse" to not go to work tomorrow at least. Upset Stomach = No Sleep = No work = an on going good for nothing post.

No probs, it was a fun time. :)

Now you need to post some effing pics so I can see what our late-night shenanigans wrought. ;)

Also, I saw that thread a few weeks ago, but I haven't yet made it all the way through... The oversized pics don't help my initiative. <_<:P

Also, I got that ATO from ProFlatlander & it works like a charm. I don't have the pressure vessel yet but that's fine because I don't have the sump plumbed yet.

I also paid the $$ for that Mag5 I mentioned, so that will hopefully arrive the end of this week or the beginning of next. Once it is arrives & I can see what I have to work with, I will do a day or so of planning then move forward on the sump plumbing.

It's a good thing I got that extra lab section this semester because I can now get some of the equipment that I have been wanting for over a year. B)

Very awesome looking Sea Hare... a lot cooler than the plain brown one I had gotten from my LFS. So how is he doing with respect to the hair algae?

I beat you to it. :P

I refreshed the board index and saw it before you posted here! :ninja:

The sump looks like it turned out well... Have you decided what you are going to use for the return pump?

EDIT: I'm a retard. I just saw that you plan on using an MJ1200. :blush:

bluebastion
The sump looks like it turned out well... Have you decided what you are going to use for the return pump?

EDIT: I'm a retard. I just saw that you plan on using an MJ1200. :blush:

Muhahahaha ;) BTW Overflow arrives on Monday.

Fosi,

How is your sea hare doing? I had one of the same species that didn't last very long in my tank. You probably already know this, but their natural diet is mainly mats of cyanobacteria. Some people say that they can adapt to other vegetation (GHA or calupera), but mine never did. Unfortunately, they also don't show any signs of starvation...just keel over one day. There was no apparent release of noxious chemicals when mine died, but you probably know that's possible.

How is your sea hare doing? ...their natural diet is mainly mats of cyanobacteria.

Fine so far.

I did read (after I bought it :rolleyes: ) that these particular sea hares are primarily cyano eaters but I am hoping that it will take a liking to the GHA.

I figure that if it hasn't touched the GHA by the end of the 2nd week, it probably isn't going to. If that is the case (and it is still alive), I will be taking it back to the LFS & buying some mexican turbos.

I've been paying close attention to the nudi... I am not happy with the way it looks.

It seems to be smaller than when I bought it & it is not nearly as actve as it was for the firt couple days. Also, while my sand is cleaner than ever, it hasn't touched the GHA. I think it is time for it to go back to the store...

I hear mexican turbos do damage to GHA but I don't think my LFS has any.

The small smooth species does a wonderful job on hair algae. Nothing beats the larger species though. Cyano, diatom, green hair, you name it.

Sorry I can't provide you with spp names

bluebastion
I hear mexican turbos do damage to GHA but I don't think my LFS has any.

Fosi,

Fishy Business always gets them in. Sometimes they get zebra (or tiger striped) ones in too... but I think the original ones clean up best. I bet you can trade that hare in for 3 or 4 turbos (at least). Heck, I'm sure they have some now.

travisurfer

turbos are amazing cleaners. once the gha is just about eradicated, bring the all but one turbo in since they run out of food pretty quick. i had 3 in my 20g and they really cleaned the place up. one should sustain it nicely after you get everything cleaned up though :)

Archived