inTank Media Baskets

Mr. Fosi's budget 20L

Mr. Fosi

Fosi,

That's the same reason I believe a series of round holes drilled in a line will provide more integral strength then one long continuous slit. I posed this question to a co-worker over a few beers after reading your post and he said much the same thing as what Osprey quoted. BTW, the co-worker in question is a structural engineer. He then stated that the sucess of either method will depend on how the opening is drilled, meaning, the gentler, the better. He stated this is why a series of round holes with a round bit would work better free-hand than a long slot. Less stress would be involved in the venture. In addition, the extra glass left by the spacing of the holes would provide greater strength.

All that being said, we were well into our way into a case of beer by the time we got around to talking about it , so take it as you will. If it were me, I would go with a series of carefully drilled holes.

Prof.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mybuickskill6979

dude this is friggin furstrating lol. i don't see why if the glass can hold 20 gallons(totally full) why it can't take a little less. with water pouring over the side. much less having it crack before any water even goes into it. fosi, i have the stuff all drawn up a 24X24X11 but the front and rear glass will sit inside the sides. and will be braced accordingly. the side glass wwill jut out about 3 inches at about half way in the height of the glass. the rear piece will be 1/2 inch shorter then the front and sides( in place of the slit) i'll draw something up it will be like 70 for the glass plus the tempering of the bottom the rear and the bottom of the overflow.

... a series of round holes with a round bit would work better free-hand than a long slot.

Sounds reasonable. I am not sure that I could do it in a way that would look very sharp/clean or without cracking it.

If I were to drill it, I would think about something like this:

20g.drilling.diagram.jpg

Edit: Buick, post a pic of what you are talking about.

Edit 2x: The measurements in that pic are of bulkhead size, so the holes would be slightly bigger.

He posted on the first page of this thread & I looked his project over; he has a really nice stand. :)

I would rather have an overflow with a longer edge. In my opinion, a longer edge will allow flow over a larger area which will likely skim the surface better.

The thing that I like about his design is that all the holes are at the top of the tank where the pressure due to water weight is lowest. Of course, with an overflow box/corral, the water pressure would be transmitted to the sides of said structure, rather than exerted over the area of the glass that it spans.

i was just showing that cause i dont think drilling the tank will effect as much.his drain is loud i know cause he posted a tread the other day lookin for ways to make it quiet.i tkink he should have put a overflow around the bulkhead.have u thought about a horizontal overflow.that is what im doing with my new tank.basicaly what u had but on the inside like this http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...highlight=calfo

Yup I went for form over function and lost. I wanted have a pretty, smooth blue background. I'm liking your new overflow design I dont think you'll have any problems with that one breaking.

basicaly what u had but on the inside...

So...

No nosie problems with mine. Just set it up like a stockeman drain and its good.

ResizeofDSC08910.jpg

overflow5ua.jpg

As opposed to:

DSC03798w.jpg

yes either one would work but i read u wanted surfice skimming.and thought maybe u had some left over glass.also ur returns in ur sketch i think u might want to go up over the back if power goes out u will get about 2-3 gal back syphen witch is alot of space in a 10g doesnt leave much room fuge and return section.

I think I have found the 3rd path.

01.08.06.overflow.box.p.jpg

Here's my reasoning:

- drilling is ideal from an aesthetic perspective, but time consuming, has inherent risks (tank crack now or when it's full of SW & livestock), and locks up a tank for a specific function

- overflow boxes aren't as pretty & need to be watched for gathering air bubbles, but they can be moved from tank to tank

This particular model cost me 2 frags (orange zoas & GSP) & will handle 600gph, which is more than I want to run through a 10g sump.

Of course, I still don't have the 10g... :unsure: But I am sure that a solution will present itself.

mybuickskill6979

true but i hate siphon. of any kind. i just hate to think of risking the pump failing or the siphon breaking and having a tank flood. but again its not my tank go head on homey. i got the pic drawn up waiting on the batts for my cam, if you leave them in the cam they die whether its on or not!!

i just hate to think of risking the pump failing or the siphon breaking and having a tank flood.

1) If the pump fails, the flow stops & 2) the siphon breaks if air intrudes, but air intrusion can be seen before failure.

Of course, I still don't have the 10g... :unsure: But I am sure that a solution will present itself.

Solution #1: Use the M-tank as sump. :) GASP!!!! :o Did I just say that? ;)

Not sacrilegious at all :) A tank is a tank. You'd also be able to have a good place for that skimmer... Are you going to use the full capacity? And when will you plumb? Tonight?

Are you going to use the full capacity?

Probably not, but I haven't made a firm decision.

And when will you plumb? Tonight?

I don't have the pipe yet. It will likely be here (via priority mail) by Thuresday. I want to have it plumbed and tested by Saturday.

mybuickskill6979
1) If the pump fails, the flow stops & 2) the siphon breaks if air intrudes, but air intrusion can be seen before failure.

true but if your not home and air intrudes it will break the siphon and the tank will overflow. :mellow:

mybuick-check valves suck. :) i would never trust them same with the hob overflow :D my luck the power would go out and back on and id be at work.

Not sacrilegious at all :) A tank is a tank. You'd also be able to have a good place for that skimmer... Are you going to use the full capacity? And when will you plumb? Tonight?

I like BB,s thinking...get that tank into use.

Check out my prop thread Fosi...I added a Walmart 10 gal for softie prop

on bottom of MH tank.

Low flow with a lot of water changes when I get to hacking some softies B)

Izzue

Archived